Exercising While Sore

Options
I just started a 5x5 strength training (I've cream fitness) last Monday. I'm pretty sore muscle-wise today. Going by the plan, I should go back to the gym tomorrow.

Should I continue with this plan, or skip the day if I'm still sore tomorrow afternoon?

Replies

• rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Soreness is expected. Working through it helps alleviate it. Injury on the other hand should not be continued on. Injury is typically described as sharp, shooting, or pulsing pains that progress over days. Delayed onset muscle soreness is a dull to moderate ache that may happen right after a workout or a day or so after. But it quickly dissipates after a day or so.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I cant remember a day that i haven't trained sore in the last few years.

Always hobbling from squats and weights.

Then into the muay thai that night

Really feel it at night/ in the morning

Dead lifts the next day never too fun.

Can barely squeeze out a #2 without my abs hurting from all the sit ups and indirect ab work too

You'll get used it it

Not only that but 5 min into warm up cant feel a thing
  • beatua1
    beatua1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sydking wrote: »
    I cant remember a day that i haven't trained sore in the last few years.

Always hobbling from squats and weights.

Then into the muay thai that night

Really feel it at night/ in the morning

Dead lifts the next day never too fun.

Can barely squeeze out a #2 without my abs hurting from all the sit ups and indirect ab work too

You'll get used it it

Not only that but 5 min into warm up cant feel a thing

I have no idea what he just said, but to answer your question if you have delayed onset muscle soreness (dull soreness and very common the day after starting lifting) then yes go ahead and go on as normal tomorrow.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Sydking, I don't think I would like to exercise so much I couldn't enjoy a good poo.

Cheers, h.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    rumijs wrote: »
    Soreness is expected. Working through it helps alleviate it. Injury on the other hand should not be continued on. Injury is typically described as sharp, shooting, or pulsing pains that progress over days. Delayed onset muscle soreness is a dull to moderate ache that may happen right after a workout or a day or so after. But it quickly dissipates after a day or so.

I almost always have DOMs somewhere. It's important to differentiate between injury and soreness. I find I often feel better after I warm up. I have to have pretty severe DOMs before I opt out of a session and then I'd usually do light cardio or yoga.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Important......STREACHING. .....before and after training
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Being sore is good - weakness leaving the body and all that. Pain is another issue and you should heal first. It takes ~48 hours for your muscles to heal up and be in a state where you can work them out again for resistance training. Make sure you stretch, use hot/cold water, massage, etc. to get past the soreness.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with strictly following the timeline of the plan. I do 5x5, and always wait till I feel fully recovered before doing another session. There is no one-size-fits-all weights programme, you have to experiment and find what works for you. If I tried sydkings programme I would definitely suffer overtraining syndrome.

By all means try and do the session tomorrow, but if you find you're struggling give yourself another day to recover next time.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Soreness abates much faster if you do your next workout. Usually by the end of a warm up, any DOMS I have is diminished to the point that I don't even notice it anymore and my lifts are not affected negatively. Conversely, waiting an extra day or so just makes the pain much worse.

If it's particularly bad DOMS (not an injury) and you don't feel capable of the workout, then do some active recovery. Walking, yoga, something that engages the muscles. Then, do the next schedule workout the following day.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Soreness abates much faster if you do your next workout. Usually by the end of a warm up, any DOMS I have is diminished to the point that I don't even notice it anymore and my lifts are not affected negatively. Conversely, waiting an extra day or so just makes the pain much worse.

If it's particularly bad DOMS (not an injury) and you don't feel capable of the workout, then do some active recovery. Walking, yoga, something that engages the muscles. Then, do the next schedule workout the following day.

If, after a full warm-up, you are still so sore that you CAN'T work out, lighten your load, and use an active recovery (lighter weghts, walking etc.). You should find that a nice warm-up aleviates your DOMS.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    If after a warm-up and active recovery you still have a specific pain, you might have suffered an injury which should be checked out.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Soreness that is more than just tightness is an indication of a good workout, you caused the micro-tears needed for the body to repair stronger.

You really want to kill that repair process by working the same muscles and trying to put another load on them?

Means you just wasted to some degree that prior workout if you kill the repair work the body is attempting to do.

The workout doesn't make you stronger, the workout does the damage, tears the body down.
    The rest for recovery and repair is what actually makes you stronger, if diet allows.

Besides, what usually ends up happening is the attempt to have another equally good workout with damaged muscles turns out to not be as good. Keep repeating that and while it may feel like giving it your all, with unrecovered muscles it's not really a good workout anymore that requires repair - just constantly elevated stress on them.

If you do it right at the start, the soreness stops lasting that long, your body can repair and recover in the 36-48 hrs before the next workout, and then the next workout can be equally as strong.
  • mbauer013
    mbauer013 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You just started, so you are likely not over-trained, just adapting. In 3 months you'll know your body better but for now if it is a reputable program just follow it.
  • deneenae
    deneenae Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Same question here. I did a total fit class with all sorts of squats, push ups, weights, body weight, ab stuff, stairs, and whatever the instructor said to do. It was a Great workout, but this morning I sure did feel it. think I'll apt for some light cardio today. I'm trying to build my mental tolerance for strength training cuz i'm a cardio person at the gym. Don't want to overdo it and never want to do it again... I know there's a ton of benefits with strength training so I'm hoping to get to the point where I am as comfortable with strength training as I am with cardio.
  • dizzler1
    dizzler1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Is it not good practice to lift every other day to ensure muscle repair and growth ?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    dizzler1 wrote: »
    Is it not good practice to lift every other day to ensure muscle repair and growth ?

If you're referring to the OP, she is skipping a day. She did 5x5 Monday, was sore yesterday, and was scheduled for her next lifting today.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I'm often sore when lifting, sometimes not. The only reason I wouldn't lift is if you are in pain. Also, as you continue to do it, the soreness will be shorter. I lifted Monday and I feel fine today.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have doms, sometimes I don't. Either way my next scheduled lifting session will happen.
    If I do have doms, they are mostly gone once the warm up session is finished.