Any other Aussies using kg instead of lbs out there

Options
kewilly71
kewilly71 Posts: 10 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi All..wondering if there are any of you out there using kg as a measurement. I am loving using MFP for a month now and lost almost 4kg...

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,152 Member
    Options
    Yep ... I've lost just over 19 kg since mid-Feb. I'd have to pull out Google's calculator to tell you exactly how many pounds that is.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I do, of course. I am 8.5kg down. Sometimes I like to convert it back to lbs because it makes me feel more awesome that I've lost so much!

(Do not recommend converting start weight to lbs unless you feel in need of a really good cry, though. And definitely don't convert how much you need to lose, because that starts to make it feel like Mount Everest.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia, I use kgs and calories (can't/won't use kilojoules). I've got a fair few conversion pages stored. I'm forever converting miles, ounces and pounds :D
  • kewilly71
    kewilly71 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    misskarne made me laugh Mt everest...pissser....christine im forever converting...im going to add u guys
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia, I use kgs and calories (can't/won't use kilojoules). I've got a fair few conversion pages stored. I'm forever converting miles, ounces and pounds :D

God I hate kj. I think I can almost do the conversion in my head now, I spend so much of the day converting kj to kcal.

Cals, kg, km, ml.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Me!!!!! Aussie!!!! Queenslander!!!!
    I'm down 8kgs. I'm adding you guys as well
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Me....waving from Tassie.

Had to learn on here to calculate back into pounds, ounces, feet and inches pretty quickly via MFP.

But it's all good.....except I with those that hate kj's my :s makes my poor brain go out to La la land.

Welcome @kewilly71 congrats on your loss and all the best as you go forward. MFP makes calorie counting very easy and the forums are full of.....hmmm, depending on the day they are full of lots of stuff. Some great some not so great...have fun reading.

All the best.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Can anyone remember when Australia converted to kilojoules? ? I've only been paying attention to calorie counting for a little over a year, so for all I know they've always used kj's on packaging.

Jeez, am I making sense??
  • bendyourkneekatie
    Options
    Can anyone remember when Australia converted to kilojoules? ? I've only been paying attention to calorie counting for a little over a year, so for all I know they've always used kj's on packaging.

It was when we switched over to the metric system in the 70s. I love the metric system, truly, but kj drive me bonkers.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    7.2kg down & from NSW. Grown up knowing nothing other than the metric system so I use that. I do use calories over kjs because a lot of packaging will either list calories only or both, with only a few listing kjs only. I prefer calories as I see it like "This costs $10 and you only have $50 to spend" rather than "This costs 10,000 cents and you have 50,000 cents to spend"
  • Christine_72
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »

It was when we switched over to the metric system in the 70s. I love the metric system, truly, but kj drive me bonkers.

Yep! They make no sense to me at all. I'm gonna stay a rebel and refuse to convert :grumble:

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

Me too. I'm getting sort of okay with my lb to kg conversion though.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I don't know why Aussies wouldn't use kilojoules. I do, since everything is in kilojoules on packaging, plus MFP converts all the database entries in calories to kilojoules for us.

No need for all the calculating and converting from the packaging when you can set it to speak your own "language". :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    kewilly71 wrote: »
    Hi All..wondering if there are any of you out there using kg as a measurement. I am loving using MFP for a month now and lost almost 4kg...

Congrats on your great start!

I'm Aussie and use kilograms on MFP (I've lost 17 kg since April) and kilojoules (see above). Good of you to start this thread!
  • carlyp79
    carlyp79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Another aussie here, who is horried to see my weight in lbs instead of kgs... but totally agree that pounds lost look far more awesome than kg lost! :D
  • bendyourkneekatie
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I don't know why Aussies wouldn't use kilojoules. I do, since everything is in kilojoules on packaging, plus MFP converts all the database entries in calories to kilojoules for us.

No need for all the calculating and converting from the packaging when you can set it to speak your own "language". :)
    KateTii wrote: »
    I prefer calories as I see it like "This costs $10 and you only have $50 to spend" rather than "This costs 10,000 cents and you have 50,000 cents to spend"

• Christine_72
    Options

kilojoules just seem foreign to me.. I guess you stick to what you're used to.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,152 Member
    Options
    I'm a Canadian, now living in Australia (Tasmania), and I just simply don't know kilojoules. In Canada it's calories. It's also usually pounds too, although we're supposed to use kilograms.

So in the 6 years I've been in Australia, the metric conversion which was started way back when I was in Grade 4 is almost complete. But not the kilojoules thing.

However, I do know that if you divide kilojoules by 4, you're pretty close to calories. So when a pizza box says it is 3600 kilojoules, that's approx. 900 calories ... or about a 2-hour bicycle ride.
  • Dreamyriver
    Dreamyriver Posts: 91 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

kilojoules just seem foreign to me.. I guess you stick to what you're used to.

I'm English originally, but I've lived in Australia for almost 8 years.

I've stopped converting kilometres to miles
    I've stopped converting kilograms to stones
    I've stopped converting dollars to pounds
    I've stopped converting litres to pints
    I know my height in cms and my weight in kilos - I've pretty much gone native (but honestly, it'll always be yog-urt and roo-ter) - but using kilojoules? That's just a step too far!!

(I've just noticed - you're a moderator now!!! Yer sell out! :smile: )
  • asteriskthat
    asteriskthat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Another Aussie using kilos! Down 6kg and have about 11kg to go. I also prefer using kilojoules though - personal preference and all that.
    Seems like we're on a roll here!