Holiday to America....

Options
CharlotteAnneUK
CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
After a couple of very hectic months I am ready to book next years holiday. Hubby and I are looking to go back to America, we went for our honeymoon and did the Universal Parks, Bush Gardens and NASA.

We don’t do sit about holidays, we like to go and actually see the place we go to. Question is... Do we go to Disney in Florida as we’ve never been and it’s a place ticked off the list, or would we get more from going elsewhere?

About 8 years ago we did a coach tour in Canada and I have seen some advertised for America, but not sure where would be best to go with lots to see and do.

We would look to go either at the end of April or the End of June....

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't build your trip to the USA around going to Disney but thats just me.

Go to California...Start in San Fran then make your way down the coast to LA. if Disney is a must hit that one before you return home.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Asking an American this question is like one of us asking you, and I am assuming you are from England, if when we come across the pond if we should see and spend our time at the big ferris wheel.

It truly depends what you want to see and do. I mean you can see just as much in NYC, or Texas, or California, or...you get my point... as you do in Disney in one week and be just as exhausted.

Will you have fun in Disney? Absolutely! No doubt...with or without kids there is a lot to do and see and experience.
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    Options
    I have since seen some tours along the west cost, I am thinking that given how much there is to see and do in America that this would be a much better use of time as I'd get to see and experiance so much more than going to a theme park.

The ferris wheel comment helps, although I'd recommend Cambridge or Pembrooke.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't build your trip to the USA around going to Disney but thats just me.

Go to California...Start in San Fran then make your way down the coast to LA. if Disney is a must hit that one before you return home.

I did this years ago, with my sister. We flew to San Francisco and spent a few days there, did some organised tours like a bay cruise, trip to Alcatraz, coach trip across the Golden Gate Bridge, to Golden Gate park etc, and lots of walking about and catching trams.

Then we hired a car and drove to LA via the Pacific Coast Highway, stopping off in a few places, and stayed the night on a gorgeous little cabin somewhere. Then we spent a few days in LA, near Venice Beach, and then drove to Vegas, where we flew home from. That was an amazing holiday. If I did that again I'd spend less time in LA though and stop off in more places like Santa Cruz, then maybe drive on to San Diego.

I'm not bothered by Disney at all, and I've been to the Paris one loads of times (I'm a French teacher, lots of school trips).
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you are considering the west coast, I would highly recommend a week long motorcoach tour along the coast of California. I've been on the one conducted by Mayflower Tours and was very pleased with the itinerary, the accommodations, the sightseeing, and the cost. They have since changed the itinerary to include more cultural features and they cut out the theme parks, but you could certainly do most of this on your own if you wish.

We flew into San Francisco on Saturday and stayed overnight in a hotel at Fisherman's Wharf.
    Sunday we took a tour of the city and had a bit of free time on our own.
    Monday we started our journey south along the coast with visits to Monterrey and Carmel, staying overnight
    Tuesday was a visit to Solvang and arriving in Hollywood where we took tour of the city and where we stayed the next 3 nights.
    Wednesday we visited the original Universal Studios pretty much all day.
    Thursday was for me the best day as I'm a big fan of Disneyland.
    Friday we took a tour of San Diego and stayed there the next two nights
    Saturday was a trip to SeaWorld, and Sunday we flew back home.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I say the heck with that, you need one state that's North Carolina. You have the beach, the mountains, Carowinds, movies re filmed in our state from Charlotte to Wilmington. Check it out. You would avoid the worst part of living in NC and that's the awful taxes. http://www.visitnc.com/attractions
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm an American (from Oregon) living in the UK--I think you'd love the trip that has been suggested from San Francisco down to wherever....Los Angeles, San Diego...even Baja, Mexico if you can do it. Very beautiful coastline, great weather, great food. Lots to see and do!
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    After a couple of very hectic months I am ready to book next years holiday. Hubby and I are looking to go back to America, we went for our honeymoon and did the Universal Parks, Bush Gardens and NASA.

We don’t do sit about holidays, we like to go and actually see the place we go to. Question is... Do we go to Disney in Florida as we’ve never been and it’s a place ticked off the list, or would we get more from going elsewhere?

About 8 years ago we did a coach tour in Canada and I have seen some advertised for America, but not sure where would be best to go with lots to see and do.

We would look to go either at the end of April or the End of June....

Any suggestions?

I'm an American, living in the Netherlands and just went to Disneyworld FL for the first time two years ago. In short, I would go to Disneyworld (FL, I've never been to Disneyland in CA) every single solitary chance I could get. I never got to go as a child and took my daughter when she was three and absolutely loved it. There is just something "more" at Disney that you can't get anywhere else, it's the service, the attitudes, the auora of it all. I think you should at least experience it especially if its on your bucket list. There are 4 parks and a water park and I would suggest spending one day at each park with maybe 1/2 a day, if you didn't have the time dedicated, to Animal Kingdom (and skip the water park if you're pressed for time). Not to be cheesy, but there is something magical about the environment that you really don't experience anywhere else.

The coach holiday doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but it would depend on where the coach went and how it all was arranged. What about a caravan down one of the coasts?
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    Options
    Some great suggestions there, thanks.

Lots of internet searches for me I think. Unfortunetly, it would appear no one accepts bookings for June next year until July this year, but it at least gives me time to gather more information.

We were not sure when to go, but we did Universal Studios at the close of June three years ago (to this day) and with the exception of a couple of downpours it was fine weather wise. I have also been told that because they (florida and the west coast) are different oceans, the weather is different as you dont get the same weather systems.....

I think if we had children I would be more tempted to do Disney, but we are both definetly swayed by the fact you get to see so much more touring....
  • LibertyBelle89
    Options
    I say the heck with that, you need one state that's North Carolina. You have the beach, the mountains, Carowinds, movies re filmed in our state from Charlotte to Wilmington. Check it out. You would avoid the worst part of living in NC and that's the awful taxes. http://www.visitnc.com/attractions

^^ Heck yea, thats why I love living here in NC... mountains to my right, beach to my left =)

& yes, damn those taxes!!
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If you want to go to Disneyworld this is what I would suggest:

Fly into Key West (It will be busy in April, but not so bad in May or June) - Snorkel, party, hang out...Its a lot of fun.

Then drive up through the Keys (it's a beautiful drive). Go on some boat rides, watch some sunsets, eat some Key Lime pie....

Go through the Everglades and Drive along the coast. Take airboat tours, see some gators, go to Sanibel and see dolphins and stingrays. I prefer the west side of Florida over the east side...But you can go either route. Either direction, it would be about 400 miles of driving total from Key West to Orlando..

End your trip at Disneyworld in Orlando. You can also to to Universal Studios, Bush Gardens, etc.

You will see so much more. Its a lot of driving but a great deal of fun. There are so many things to do along the way. I did this trip over a 10 day period.