Coffee Suggestions

Options
I need help making my morning coffee more calorie friendly :) I decided to measure the amount of creamer I've been using, instead of assuming the amount, and I was shocked to see I was actually using double what I thought. I use the sugar-free vanilla creamer because I can't handle a bunch of sugar in the morning, and don't like the taste of black or unsweetened coffee (yes, I've tried many times). I drink several cups, and I really love it, so I'm trying to find ways to flavor it, or make it healthier overall because I definitely have no plans to give it up. I'm not a fan of skim milk, but maybe if I do a latte type drink? I do have an espresso machine so any ideas are welcomed! Thank you!

Replies

• meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it IN my coffee but what about the almond milk? you can buy it unsweetened.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    If you use a drip coffee maker with grounds - i used to add some cinnamon to the coffee grounds before I brewed it. It adds a really lovely flavor to the coffee. Then I would just put in some skim milk. Other options I've tried include a little vanilla extract or a little almond extract.

I don't do sweet coffee, I just have a cup with 2 TBSP of half and half and I"m done. But I usually only have 1 a day, so it's easier to manage.

Meredith - My coworker really likes unsweetened vanilla almond milk in hers. I haven't tried it yet!
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Give a latte a try. If you froth up the milk, skim (or 1 or 2%) don't taste watery. It tastes creamy. You can get frothers pretty cheap most places. Some frothed milk with some sugar-free vanilla syrup in the coffee?
  • kdf606
    kdf606 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try skim milk mixed with a bit of half & half. Somehow i find this makes it a bit creamier than using even whole milk... Over time, gradually cut back on the amount of half & half...
    You could also try sugar-free vanilla flavor syrup... I generally hate the idea of chemical sweeteners, but the tiny bit I put in my coffee is all i use. I figure that's not too terrible...

You could also scan the internet for some DIY vanilla creamer recipes. If you make your own, you have more control of the content and might find you are able to make a healthier version than the one you are buying...

Good luck!
  • salydra
    salydra Posts: 29
    Options
    I drink coffee made from flavored beans (usually vanilla or hazelnut) black with stevia. You can also buy skinny syrup made with splenda.

Unsweetened soy milk is my preference if I want a latte.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    A really good quality coffee shouldn't really need creamer.

You can buy flavoured coffee beans... grind them at home and add a bit of light cream. Should have some flavour to it that way. Another thing that you can do for flavour (depending on the flavouring you like in your coffee) is put some cinnamon or vanilla in the beans just before you turn the coffee maker on. I've found putting a vanilla bean or two in the can of coffee helps give it a bit of flavour as well. You can buy flavoured Splenda too (vanilla and hazelnut I believe). You can also buy sugar free coffee flavour syrups... a bit of that with a bit of cream or higher fat milk and you're good to go.

I personally don't like almond milk in my coffee unless it's flavoured almond milk I make at home.
  • RescueMom59
    Options
    Great suggestions! Thank you guys :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I use either unsweetened soy milk, light soy milk, almond milk, or a coconut/almond blend and then sweeten with 1/4 tsp honey or agave nectar and the rest splenda. I also put a bit of cinnamon or cocoa powder in the coffee grounds to flavor the cup.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Adding anything other than half and half is just a waste of time.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of flavored creamers because I think they taste overly fake-y sweet, but I do like flavored coffee. You could either buy flavored or try adding a little extract (almond or vanilla are my favorite) or cinnamon sticks to the grounds. Lattes are going to be mostly milk, so if you choose to go that route, you'll be adding not only calories, but carbs, protein and some fat (depending on fat level of the milk) as well. But I love lattes, so I won't judge :)

ETA: LOL a lot of us have the same ideas. Great minds think alike!

Has anyone ever tried adding fruit to their grounds? I'm too chicken to try, but I really like raspberry and blueberry flavored coffee.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Give a latte a try. If you froth up the milk, skim (or 1 or 2%) don't taste watery. It tastes creamy. You can get frothers pretty cheap most places. Some frothed milk with some sugar-free vanilla syrup in the coffee?

Plus you get your dairy! :)
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Black, no sugar = 5 calories. Taper down gradually until you get there.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I used to ALWAYS add a vanilla flavored cream to my coffee. But, I discovered Sugar-free French Vanilla coffee flavoring syrup. It is calorie-free and fat-free and sugar-free. I add just about a teaspoon to my coffee and it tastes lovely. Still dark in color but a good flavor. In the summertime I make coffee ice cubes and make iced coffee in the morning with my flavoring. There is also sugar-free carmel flavoring also. I get a bottle for about $3 at Target.
  • hbmayes
    hbmayes Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I find the higher the quality coffee, the less doctoring it needs! We get really fresh, delicious coffee beans from our local coffee shop, roasted just a few miles away. It is so good, I don't need cream or sugar! But, when I get bad coffee (like free work coffee), it needs a good dollop of cream to make it drinkable.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    coconut milk or stevia+unsweetened almond milk
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I slowly weaned myself away from the high calorie stuff over the course of a year.

I used to drink it with a ridiculous amount of cream and sugar... started measuring it at triple triple, went down to a double double, switched to milk instead of cream, reduced the milk, reduced the sugar... now I drink it black with one sugar.

It still tastes good with lots of cream and sugar, but I can enjoy it black now whereas I couldn't before.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Stevia sweetener has no calories. I buy squirt bottles at Walmart. This stuff is natural and not carcinogenic. I don't like the little packages of powder because they end up being too sweet for me. As to creamers, how you spend your calories is your choice. I can't do milk, so I've not been enthusiastic about that even though I know there are non-dairy alternatives.
  • meme1997
    meme1997 Posts: 21
    Options
    Stevia sweetener is Certainly the best it is so sweet and have no calories in it :wink:
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    These are all good suggestions. My suggestion is to figure out the calories in your morning coffee and just do a bit more exercising to compensate. Coffee isn't just a drink, it's a ritual and it sets the tone for the rest of the day. There are SO many things we have to give up or modify to improve our diet and get healthier. But if you enjoy your morning coffee as much as I do, I wouldn't change a thing.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I'll only drink it black. There are so few calories it's not even worth the trouble to log.