do u need to be a gym freak/excersie 7 days a week to be fit?

Options
I've been off track from a few months now and really want to get back into eating healthy and start to exercise but the thought of sweating it out at the gym 7days a week makes me unmotivated.

just want to know how many days a week would I need to workout if 'apparently' flat stomachs are 80% what you eat and 20% exercise ?

Thanks

Replies

• KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    The fact you asked this question the way you did would indicate yes.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily need to hit the gym seven days a week to be "fit," but more to the point: it sounds as though going to the gym makes you miserable. Find some other activity to get exercise (running, biking, surfing, mountain climbing, etc.) or else you'll probably not stick with it.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Believe the conventional wisdom is "change the eating habits for weight loss & exercise for fitness" (words to the effect). For me personally - there are three interdependent categories and depending on my mood, one can be the driver of the other two. The one driving can & does change. The Big 3: Eat/Exercise/Sleep. If I'm eating poorly, I don't feel like exercising, and then I don't sleep well -> and then it continues to spiral downward. In the past, I ate junk, still tried to exercise - > but I can't outrun my fork. Now (granted I'm only 29 days in) -> First priority is to eating right - > makes me feel like getting some great exercise - > sleeping like a baby. If I had a bad night & didn't sleep well - > trying not to compensate by eating away the sleepiness & still get in some kind of a workout, even if it's just a walk -> end up catching up on sleep. A positive circle of the Big 3 is "self-correcting" & a negative circle is self-defeating and self-perpetuating.

Hope that helps.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I consider myself pretty fit, but my actual gym time (a misnomer anyway, since it's in my garage) is minimal. Less than 5 hours a week, no more than an hour a day.

That being said, I'm pretty darn active outside of that as well...
  • JayWillSoGQ
    JayWillSoGQ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The Law Of Diminishing Returns applies to fitness training as well. During the summer I make great strides with 30-40 mins of jogging/sprint drills and calisthenics.

I lost 100 pounds by simply adopting a few mantras and sticking to the plan.

"Eat for nutrition, not for taste"
    "A plan isn't a plan unless it's written"
    "Get on with it" and "get *kitten* done"

Here is a great article to touch on this subject of diminishing returns in fitness.

http://cathe.com/resistance-training-and-the-law-of-diminishing-returns
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I hit the gym 3 days/week but I watch what I eat 7 days/week.
  • yusaku02
    Options

Those are great, especially the first one. Everyone I know who struggles with the weight can't wrap their head around it.
    "Why would you eat a boiled/baked chicken breast? With no skin?! It should be deep fried!"
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    What's your definition of fit? For me this whole losing weight & being "more" fit is a lifestyle change to improve my health.

I exercise because "I CAN." I'm older and don't want to be one of those frail old ladies who breaks a hip by rolling over in bed. I don't want to be winded by walking up one flight of stairs.

What Kwtilbury said.....if exercise is drudgery....something you hate, then it's going to be a temporary thing anyway. Instead of dragging yourself to the gym, look for an activity, sports league, whatever, so you can be more fit for years to come.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »

Those are great, especially the first one. Everyone I know who struggles with the weight can't wrap their head around it.
    "Why would you eat a boiled/baked chicken breast? With no skin?! It should be deep fried!"

I don't like that first one. I'd much rather have a tasty grilled chicken breast with good seasoning and a fresh salsa than a pale, wobbly boiled abomination. Nutritionally they are pretty much equivalent, but on the mental side there is a world of difference. But to each their own, I know that some people have grown to view food as fuel, and they certainly have every right to do so. It's just that someone like me would rather kill myself than deprive myself the pleasure of good cuisine.
  • yusaku02
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »

I don't like that first one. I'd much rather have a tasty grilled chicken breast with good seasoning and a fresh salsa than a pale, wobbly boiled abomination. Nutritionally they are pretty much equivalent, but on the mental side there is a world of difference. But to each their own, I know that some people have grown to view food as fuel, and they certainly have every right to do so. It's just that someone like me would rather kill myself than deprive myself the pleasure of good cuisine.
    Do not reward yourself with food, you are not a dog ;)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Choosing nutrition with a good taste is not rewarding yourself with food. It's enjoying what you're eating and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

That's... stupid.
    No, seriously. That's dumb.
    There is absolutely no reason to go out of your way to eat the most flavorless bland food imaginable when you can have the exact same nutrition but good tasting.
    I can assure you, anyone trying to eat exclusively stuff they don't like just because of the warped thinking "it's good for you", is going to fail 1-2 weeks in, tops.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    What Kwtilbury said.....if exercise is drudgery....something you hate, then it's going to be a temporary thing anyway. Instead of dragging yourself to the gym, look for an activity, sports league, whatever, so you can be more fit for years to come.

I third this opinion. Think outside the box to consider activities you will enjoy for years to come. I like running and I do so every other day to give my body time to adjust to the new demands.

Are you an introvert or an extrovert? If extro-, consider a team sport like bowling, beach volleyball or softball. Indoors or outdoors? Lots of people love golf for getting outdoors in the sunshine. Don't like mud and bugs like my hubby? Maybe take up swimming or badminton.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Choosing nutrition with a good taste is not rewarding yourself with food. It's enjoying what you're eating and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I plate for nutrition (portions and variety) and then I find a way to make it interesting and tasty. Hubby is thoroughly bored of bare chicken breasts, so it was breaded and baked last night. The side was a Greek salad with some massaged Kale and simmered scarlet runner beans from my garden.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »

I plate for nutrition (portions and variety) and then I find a way to make it interesting and tasty. Hubby is thoroughly bored of bare chicken breasts, so it was breaded and baked last night. The side was a Greek salad with some massaged Kale and simmered scarlet runner beans from my garden.

That's what I do as well. :)
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Your diet is most of what will make your skinny or fat. A proper diet and exercise (lifting) will build muscle and give you shape and strength. I go to the gym 5 days a week and spend about and hour. I have lost fat, added muscle and feel great. You do not have to live in a gym to look good.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    do u need to be a gym freak/excersie 7 days a week to be fit?

no, two half hour full body strength trainings and three half hour fast walks would do it.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options

This does not make any sense at all.. There is no reason to eat rubber. You can eat good food and hit your macros.. Food does not have to be fried to be good.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    The Law Of Diminishing Returns applies to fitness training as well. During the summer I make great strides with 30-40 mins of jogging/sprint drills and calisthenics.

I cannot fathom eating like this. As another poster mentioned, you can add seasonings and have that blah chicken breast really taste great. This mentality follows the "I eat to live" whereas I "live to eat." I love trying new flavors, cuisines, etc. If I had to eat for nutrition alone, well, it would suck. Herbs and seasonings add little to no calories so why wouldn't you do it? Herbs and seasonings are what HELPED me stick with a healthy eating plan and lose weight.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Eating food you enjoy is not 'rewarding' yourself. It's not as if the poster said 'when I've lost x lbs I treat myself to a cake'.

There's no need to eat bland, boring food. You can make food tasty quite easily, without adding loads of calories to it. I like to wrap chicken breast in a thin strip of pancetta, and cook it with white wine vinegar, garlic and paprika. It's still healthy, and it tastes good.