Over sugar limit help!

Options
I have only eaten my lunch and breakfast and I am already over my sugar limit. I have had a yogurt, melon for breakfast and a selection of vegetables for lunch. What can I do to stop going over my limit and what vegetables are low in sugar... Any advice would be of great help!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    unless you have a medical condition there is nothing to worry about. Just make sure you are hitting micro nutrient requirements, hitting macros, and staying in your calorie target.

the MFP sugar allotment is insanely low…I just track it out of curiosity….
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Honestly, unless you're diabetic or have a medical reason to know how many of your daily carbohydrates come from sugar, then there is no need to worry about the "sugar limit."

Personally, I like to keep a mental estimate of the proportion of natural sugars/added sugars/hypoglycemia treatment (I'm diabetic) in relationship to how much sugar I consume. If I see that a high proportion of my sugar intake is from added sugars, then I try to make modifications to my diet. If I see that a high proportion of my sugar consumption is hypo treatment, then I know that I need to adjust my insulin dosages. Sugar isn't the devil.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have only eaten my lunch and breakfast and I am already over my sugar limit. I have had a yogurt, melon for breakfast and a selection of vegetables for lunch. What can I do to stop going over my limit and what vegetables are low in sugar... Any advice would be of great help!

Don't eat high sugar fruits if trying to manage your sugar intake.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Personally, I would more worry about calories first, especially if your sugars are coming from fruits (high in vitamins and minerals). If you want to lower it, you can concentrate on getting foods from protein and fat sources (eggs, bacon, meats, fish, nuts, etc...). Personally, sugar is the last thing I look at. I look at calories, protein and I much progress I make in my training. Then I look at fats and fiber to ensure I am full and then carbs in general.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Think of the first few days of logging as about learning to hit your calories and understanding your diet. Then, as you look back over to see how you did on the macros (protein, fat, and carbs) and stuff like sugar, you can decide if you need to adjust. I would not worry about sugar from things like fruit and veg unless you were eating so much that you weren't hitting other targets, like protein, or going over calories. Instead I'd use the sugar column to see if you are getting more sugar from less nutrient dense foods than you realized or to see any surprises.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of questions that will be answered if you change your diary sharing setting to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings or send me the key.