What are your goals and macros?

Hi everyone! I'm trying to play around with my macros to see what works best for me. I've been stuck for a while now but ultimately I have about 20 lbs to lose and would like to lean out my midsection and legs. I've seen lots of different numbers and advice but they vary a lot depending on individual goals.

The IIFYM.com calculator gave me some numbers that seemed pretty different than what I'd researched in the past, but previous advice I've gotten was mostly paleo based.

I'm current 36 years old, female, 155lbs.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Without knowing your bodyfat and activity level, I would make an educated guess that you're maintaining your current weight somewhere between 1800-2000 calories per day.

To lose weight at a safe pace, subtract 10-20% from this figure. So as low as 1440 to as high as 1800 calories per day for a weight loss program. Falling somewhere within that deficit range should help you to lose weight at a safe pace.

Macros

Protein = 4 cals per gram
    Carbs = 4 cals per gram
    Dietary Fat = 9 cals per gram

Protein target range: 0.60-0.80 grams per pound of bodyweight -- the highest amount justified by research for active individuals.

Dietary Fat target range: 0.40-0.45 grams per pound of bodyweight -- the lowest amount implied by clinical observation (unless obese). People who are maintaining or bulking should probably get more.

Remaining caloric budget: whatever mix of macronutrients you prefer, notably a rich variety of nutritious, high fiber carbs and healthy fats.
  • jendenden
    jendenden Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I'm 5'8", 41, and started at 185lbs. I've been eating roughly 1500 kcal per day, but I had it calculated at 1400 something for a loss of 1.5 lbs per week (I usually lose 2lbs per week).

I eat very low carb, high fat for health reasons and to address my sugar and starch overeating issues. I am in ketosis. My carbs are at 5% (usually <30g), protein is 25% (~90g) and fat is 70% (over 100g). I have been eating this way, at a deficit, for about 9-10 weeks and lost about 25lbs. I'm still losing easily even though I am at a normal BMI... I'm sure it will eventually slow but I'm enjoying it for now.

LCHF isn't for everyone. Those with insulin resistance, autoimmune problems, heart disease and sugar binge issues tend to benefit the most from LCHF.

Good luck.
  • sixxpoint
    A person can still avoid sugary, processed foods and not be on a LCHF diet. That is just called eating sensibly and sticking primarily to whole foods instead of junk foods, cakes, cookies, high fructose corn syrup, preservative laden, bagged and pre-packaged, pre-prepared foods.

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Macros - Carbohydrates:Protein:Fat I am set at 45%:25%:30% but I do better if I can eat at 40:30:30. I started with the MFP preset and tweaked it from there.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    I do 1 gram of protein per pound, 1 gram of carbs per pound and 1 gram of fat per 4 lbs. This gets me in about a 20% deficit. I work out (lift) 4-6 hours a week. Makes my breakdown 43% protein, 36% carbs, 21% fats... Works very well for me and I have been on a steady loss of bf with adding muscle.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    I do 1 gram of protein per pound, 1 gram of carbs per pound and 1 gram of fat per 4 lbs. Makes my breakdown 43% protein, 36% carbs, 21% fats...

Wait...wouldn't the protein and carb percentage be equal?
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Casper I thought you were doing 1.2 G of Protein like I am?

Mine are : 150P 120C 27F
  • sixxpoint
    I do 1 gram of protein per pound, 1 gram of carbs per pound and 1 gram of fat per 4 lbs

This can be very dangerous when it comes to long term hormonal health, brain health, reproductive health, etc. ~ Adequate dietary fat is crucial for a number of processes in the human body.

Carbs don't have a minimum, but it is wise not to ignore them for the fiber and other nutritional reasons.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    I do 1 gram of protein per pound, 1 gram of carbs per pound and 1 gram of fat per 4 lbs. This gets me in about a 20% deficit. I work out (lift) 4-6 hours a week. Makes my breakdown 43% protein, 36% carbs, 21% fats... Works very well for me and I have been on a steady loss of bf with adding muscle.

How are you building muscle at a 20% calorie deficit?
  • CasperNaegle

You are right.. it's 1.2 grams of protein per pound. obviously my percentages would be the same if it was 1gram and 1 gram.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    My split is 35% Carb (245 grams)/30% fat (93 grams)/35% protein (245 grams).
  • CasperNaegle
    aledba wrote: »

How are you building muscle at a 20% calorie deficit?

http://www.muscleforlife.com/build-muscle-lose-fat/

Probably because I was about 30% body fat but I have gone from 227 and 30% to 202 and 19% or a loss of 29.72 pounds of fat and a gain of almost 5 pounds of muscle. I do think as you get leaner this becomes less possible and for people with years of weight training also.
  • CasperNaegle
    We are getting plenty of dietary fat intake. American Heart Association doesn't recommend going below 15% fats.
  • sixxpoint
    We are getting plenty of dietary fat intake. American Heart Association doesn't recommend going below 15% fats.

Percentages and ratios are useless and arbitrary.

Go by the actual grams.