What you thinking about intermittent fasting?

Options
2»

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I understand the fasting part that its basically the same as eating a deficit but at a specific time....I'm just really interested in the more fat burning during fasting part...

There's shaky to no evidence that it makes a difference.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    The original 5:2 book claims that many people have great workouts on their fasting days, but as to whether you'll burn more fat I think there are too many individual factors at play to make a general statement.

The reason I wouldn't workout on my fasting day is fear of protein breakdown and losing muscle.
  • 3stepsahead
    3stepsahead Posts: 56 Member
    Options

hamlet1222 wrote: »
    The original 5:2 book claims that many people have great workouts on their fasting days, but as to whether you'll burn more fat I think there are too many individual factors at play to make a general statement.

The reason I wouldn't workout on my fasting day is fear of protein breakdown and losing muscle.

for fasted training, BCAA or an essential amino acid mixture is highly recommended
  • easybeezy
    easybeezy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been 16:8 about 95% of the time for 2 months and I love it! I've lost 12 pounds, and it's allowed me to allocate my calories in a more satisfying way (usually about 300 lunch, and 900 left for snacks and dinner not including exercise calories). Not to mention, my body just feels like it operates better all around.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

You can't "lose muscle" in a single workout any more than you can "lose fat". Metabolism works 24/7 and it's a continuous process.
  • Siran12001
    Siran12001 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

If our body would lose muscle if we didn't eat for a day, our ancestors in the stone age would have died quickly.

I have no idea if you lose more fat if you work out fasted, but I'm trying 14:10 at the moment and it works pretty well for me. I was never much of a breakfast eater, so skipping breakfast and eating lunch at 12 is not much of a problem. I noticed that the smaller eating window stops me from snacking in the morning at work and in the late evening hours. Eating the calories in 10 hours gives me bigger meals and I can still snack without going over the calories.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I do it, and LOVE it
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I did it last year for December and a little into January. It was a great way to stay in a calorie deficit throughout the holiday period. I didn't like it longer term - but intend to do it again this year for a couple of weeks over the party / holiday period.