Heart Rate Monitor & Smartwatches

Options
The last few months I've been using an app called Endomondo. Some of you may be familiar with it. Love the app, and a few months ago I also bought a Polar H7 heart rate monitor to go with it for my iPhone 6. I love the fact that the app adjusts your calorie burn based on your heart rate and speed during a workout (walking/running/cycling/etc.). However, when I am on a long walk/run I sometimes push myself very hard (lots of hills, walking in excess of 3.5mph, etc.) and I notice that my heart rate hits its maximum quite frequently. The problem I have is that I keep my phone in my pocket so when I start to get exhausted I constantly have to reach for my phone and check my heart rate. If it's too high I slow down until it's back to where I want it to be.

Here's my question. I'm considering a smartwatch. For the simple reason that I understand some of them can display Endomondo's stats on screen during a workout. It would be very easy to see my heart rate without digging out my phone if it was displayed constantly on a watch screen. Does anyone have any experience with the Pebble or Apple Watch and this very use? I want to continue to use Endomondo and my Polar H7, but I want my heart rate, speed, etc. displayed on the watch. Is anyone out there doing this? Does it work?

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Have you considered just getting a phone armband?
  • Old_Man_McGucket
    Old_Man_McGucket Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    A much cheaper solution is the Casio STB1000 which grabs your data via Bluetooth and displays. Not sure it would work directly with Endomondo, but it works with enough apps that there would be a workaround.

http://www.wahoofitness.com/devices/casio-omnisync-bluetooth-watch.html
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Silly question but how are you determining that you're reaching your maximum HR?
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Another solution would the Polar M400 you can use the gps, or get a cadence sensor to display your speed. You could also set it to alarm when you hit your maximum rate.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    The Apple watch will continuously display you heart rate, speed, etc on your watch in exercise mode.

I stopped using Endomondo in favor of the Apple watch native app. So no information on its display. I'll maybe give it a try and let you know...
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Silly question but how are you determining that you're reaching your maximum HR?

A couple of different ways. At first I was using the old solution, 220 - Age. I am 46, so that would set my max heart rate at 174 or so. Then, according to the Mayo Clinic, I can take that max heart rate and multiply by .7 to determine the lower end of my target heart rate zone, which is 121.8. If I want to set my maximum safe limit at say 85% of my maximum heart rate then I could take 174 x .85 which is 147.9. I do realize that there are other more accurate ways of calculating my maximum heart rate, but I figure at my age and fitness level 175 isn't a bad number to try to stay below. My problem arises when I push myself hard (and yes, I am stubborn enough to push myself very hard when exercising without realizing it) and go past that rate. For instance, according to my H7 monitor I frequently hit 175-180 when pushing myself up steep hills, especially when it's really hot outside (90F or higher). My heart hasn't exploded yet, nor have I had a stroke, so hitting those highs don't seem to be killing me, and in general I can tell by my exhaustion level when I get that high, but if I had a monitor that was readily visible I could keep myself in a range I want to be in. My concern is that I might be causing damage by going over my target rate too often.

Anyway, having a watch that displays my heart rate is just something I want, not something that I need. I can simply slow down, buy an arm band (I hate those things), but there are several things I want during my workout:

-Heart rate monitoring
    -Music
    -MPH/Distance tracking

I could easily get a watch that pairs to my H7, but I don't want to bypass my favorite app. According to Endomondo there are two watches that are supported with the iPhone, the Pebble and the Apple watch. I have many reasons why I don't want to drop $400 on an Apple watch presently, most of which is that it's first gen at the moment, so that leaves me with the Pebble. I was just wondering if anyone here was using a pebble (or even an Apple watch) with an iPhone and a heart monitor strap and having luck with it?

As for the other suggestions, thanks I'll check into them!
  • Spliner1969
    edited September 2015
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    The Apple watch will continuously display you heart rate, speed, etc on your watch in exercise mode.

I stopped using Endomondo in favor of the Apple watch native app. So no information on its display. I'll maybe give it a try and let you know...

That would be great if you have time to try it. I guess my question is will the iPhone pair with the H7 (or any other HR strap) and the Apple watch at the same time and allow apps like Endomondo to display HR information on the screen all while Endomondo is free to use HR data as it always has. If you don't have a strap I do know that Endomondo, according to their FAQ, will not work with the built in HR monitor on the Apple Watch.

So how accurate do you feel the built in HR monitor is for the Apple Watch? I'm probably not going to pick one up until 2nd gen arrives but that doesn't stop me from wanting one now lol.

According to the Endomondo FAQ I probably just needed to read a little further for my answer. But would love it if you can test it out and let me know when/if you get time.

https://support.endomondo.com/hc/en-us/articles/201784416-SmartWatches#Apple Watch

"If you have connected a Bluetooth Low Energy heart rate monitor to your Endomondo iPhone app your heart rate will be displayed in the Endomondo Apple Watch app.

The Endomondo Apple Watch will not work with the built-in heart rate monitor on Apple Watch.
    "
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Consumer Reports tested the Apple Watch against their most accurate monitor with chest strap, and found them to be virtually identical (you can google the results)

Here's another I found after quick search...
    http://9to5mac.com/2015/05/08/apple-watch-heart-rate-monitor-accuracy/

Apple is opening their ios to third party apps this month I believe, so there will be a lot of updates for those other apps soon...

Here's an article on chest strap vs wrist:
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/heart-rate-monitor,review-2885.html

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I use Endomondo on my Android phone and have it paired with a cheap Pebble (less than $80). It works "almost" perfectly (it has locked up on the watch a few times but never on the phone). I also use the H7.

I originally tried it with my Moto 360. There were too many issues (battery life, unable to see screen in sunlight, made the leather band stink) so I replaced it (for running only) with the Pebble.

• andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Another solution would the Polar M400 you can use the gps, or get a cadence sensor to display your speed. You could also set it to alarm when you hit your maximum rate.

+1
    I love my Polar M400 + H7 combo. A gamechanger for me.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    Good info everyone. Thanks for the articles on the Apple Watch annaskiski. Makes me want one even more, however I'm still going to be stubborn and wait for gen 2. Call me a geek but they left one important feature out of the Apple watch when it originally released. That feature, and other geeks my age or older will also likely agree, was the ability to do video (facetime) calls with the watch. Too many Dick Tracy comics as a kid I guess. So, I'm going to wait until at least 2nd gen hoping for more battery life and yes, a cam for video calls. ;)

I expect gen 2 to be in 2016 (although it could be announced in a week or two), so I might think about the Casio, or the Pebble in the meantime.

andrikosDE: Do you also use the H7 paired with a phone/app for calorie counts/etc. or does the M400 integrate with MFP in any way?
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    Consumer Reports tested the Apple Watch against their most accurate monitor with chest strap, and found them to be virtually identical (you can google the results)

Here's another I found after quick search...
    http://9to5mac.com/2015/05/08/apple-watch-heart-rate-monitor-accuracy/

Apple is opening their ios to third party apps this month I believe, so there will be a lot of updates for those other apps soon...

Here's an article on chest strap vs wrist:
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/heart-rate-monitor,review-2885.html

yes the apple watch was accurate, but here's what they had to do to get it there.

"We saw how important fit is when we analyzed the Apple Watch's results. During the first reading, the Apple Watch measured my heart rate at 125 bpm, while the EKG machine registered 158. The Mio Alpha 2 was also a little off during the first reading, reporting my pulse as 143 bpm.

But after a minute of adjustment, and after tightening the Apple Watch by one notch on its band, they both were much more accurate. The watch read 157 bpm, while the Alpha 2 was nearly on point at 159. However, both were secured much tighter than an actual watch would be around my wrist - there was no give in the bands, no space between the device and my skin. At this level of tightness, both the Apple Watch and the Alpha 2 left indentations on my wrist when I took off the devices."
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Options
    Good info everyone. Thanks for the articles on the Apple Watch annaskiski. Makes me want one even more, however I'm still going to be stubborn and wait for gen 2. Call me a geek but they left one important feature out of the Apple watch when it originally released. That feature, and other geeks my age or older will also likely agree, was the ability to do video (facetime) calls with the watch. Too many Dick Tracy comics as a kid I guess. So, I'm going to wait until at least 2nd gen hoping for more battery life and yes, a cam for video calls. ;)

I expect gen 2 to be in 2016 (although it could be announced in a week or two), so I might think about the Casio, or the Pebble in the meantime.

andrikosDE: Do you also use the H7 paired with a phone/app for calorie counts/etc. or does the M400 integrate with MFP in any way?

If you are using IOS it integrates through polar flow app. Polar flow gives you gps readings and all other information.
  • phillipdean299
    phillipdean299 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've tried some of the optical heart rate monitors built into watches such as the Fitbit, Their problem was it would constantly lose my heart rate is the rate of change was too much. I've settled on a Garmin HRM with a vívofit 2. You can accurately monitor your heart rate just by glancing at your wrist.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    My concern is that I might be causing damage by going over my target rate too often.

Unless you have an underlying medical condition that's not something to be worried about. What's more significant is that you may not be getting adequate training effect by overexerting yourself, but HR isn't a particularly good indicator of that and you'd get more value from setting Endomondo to track your pace, rather than heart rate.

You're still in the situation of either needing to see the screen, or setup audio notifications and wear earphones though.

Personally I'm not a fan of the Apple watch, but if recognise that others will go for the brand, and as you're not after high quality GPS tracking the limitations of the combination seem fair enough.

• Butterf1y_Effect
    Butterf1y_Effect Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »

+1
    I love my Polar M400 + H7 combo. A gamechanger for me.

+2 Polar M400 is excellent.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

The M400 connects to the H7 when I ride my bike, run, work out and it syncs with the Polar Flow app on my iPhone. it also pushes txts, e-mails, google hangout messages etc, if that's your thing.
    The M400 monitors your movements throughout the day, calculates your energy expenditure during the day, gives you "nudges" to move if you've been sitting too long, monitors your sleep quality, etc. etc.
    It's a great device which is constantly updated by the Polar development team. Very reasonably priced too.

PS Yes, the M400 syncs with MFP app and updates the exercise part of it. At the end of the day, the "excess" caloric output reported by the M400 is considered exercise depending on how you have MFP setup (mine is at the highest level of physical exertion).

• Spliner1969
    Options
    So far I love the H7. I never lose connect and have about 4 months of use so far without changing batteries. I don't have another device to compare with but it seems fairly accurate. I think I'll take a trip next weekend and take a look at the M400, the Pebble, and the Apple Watch. Thanks for all the input everyone!
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    Unless you have an underlying medical condition that's not something to be worried about. What's more significant is that you may not be getting adequate training effect by overexerting yourself, but HR isn't a particularly good indicator of that and you'd get more value from setting Endomondo to track your pace, rather than heart rate.

You're still in the situation of either needing to see the screen, or setup audio notifications and wear earphones.

No underlying medical condition, at least of which I am aware. I did, however, smoke for 22 years (I quit six years ago). My concern stems mostly from the prior abuse of my heart and lungs from that. When I quit smoking six years ago I started gradually gaining weight and at the beginning of 2015 I weighed 305-310 was on blood pressure medicine, and was constantly in pain from my back and knees. I made the decision in January to live a longer life so I found MFP and started this journey. When I put my mind to something I have a habit of pushing myself sometimes beyond my own limits and exercise is no different.

Good news is that 9 months later I now weigh 228 and have been released from taking blood pressure medicine. That would be thanks to MFP, this community, support from my family, and my own stubbornness. ;)
  • Palmeralex
    Palmeralex Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »

The M400 connects to the H7 when I ride my bike, run, work out and it syncs with the Polar Flow app on my iPhone. it also pushes txts, e-mails, google hangout messages etc, if that's your thing.
    The M400 monitors your movements throughout the day, calculates your energy expenditure during the day, gives you "nudges" to move if you've been sitting too long, monitors your sleep quality, etc. etc.
    It's a great device which is constantly updated by the Polar development team. Very reasonably priced too.

PS Yes, the M400 syncs with MFP app and updates the exercise part of it. At the end of the day, the "excess" caloric output reported by the M400 is considered exercise depending on how you have MFP setup (mine is at the highest level of physical exertion).

Aha this is where I'm going wrong!!! MFP just awarded me another 600 calories just for walking 20,000 steps which is my normal daily steps recorded by my M400. I don't really want it to do that - if I ate another 600 calories there'd hardly be a deficit!! I'll change my MFP setting to high exertion. Really I'd prefer it to only award me extra calories when I record a run, not just for steps. Can it do that?!