Just cant pack on the pounds

Options
Im having trouble packing on the weight. I'm very active at work. Hard to find the time to hit the gym. I'm male 5'11" at 125 on a good day. My goal right now is set at 3500 calories. I have a hard time hitting it consistently. Tips, pointers, motivation much appreciated

Replies

• Lennywells1990
    Lennywells1990 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    I'm around 5'9. My goal is 3,400 calories but I found it easier to drink milk + have a lot of snacks like musli bars or those breakfast biscuits.
    I also found it quite difficult to hit eating healthy, but I have been eating at least 1 unhealthy meal a day I.e migoreng noodles (2 packets 760 calories) or a large quarter pounder meal just to make sure I'm hitting my daily requirements.
    Snacks are small like 160 calories per bar, but you eat 4 of those as a snack that's 640 calories and so forth.

Just make sure you count everything! Even that glass of milk is 100 calories +
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Normally I would caution anybody wanting to be in a surplus without weight training that it is a very poor choice because you will put on purely fat this way, but at your height/weight you are definitely underweight, so a bit of fat will actually help.

Food source for those extra cals is irrelevant. Make sure you get a moderate amount of fruits/veggies to meet your needs for vitamins, but after that go ham on some junk food. It's calorie dense and will make eating less of a chore. Have some candy bars on you, cookies, whatever you like best really. Once you hit the normal bodyweight bracket for somebody your height (around 135lbs), you need to add a weight training program if you want to continue the surplus; if you still don't have time for weight training, I would switch to maintenance calories until you do.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods.

Nuts, full fat dairy, oils, avocados, nut butters, pizza, ice cream - all pack a lot of calories for very little volume.

If you still can't get enough, drink some calories.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    _Bropollo_ wrote: »
    Normally I would caution anybody wanting to be in a surplus without weight training that it is a very poor choice because you will put on purely fat this way, but at your height/weight you are definitely underweight, so a bit of fat will actually help.

Food source for those extra cals is irrelevant. Make sure you get a moderate amount of fruits/veggies to meet your needs for vitamins, but after that go ham on some junk food. It's calorie dense and will make eating less of a chore. Have some candy bars on you, cookies, whatever you like best really. Once you hit the normal bodyweight bracket for somebody your height (around 135lbs), you need to add a weight training program if you want to continue the surplus; if you still don't have time for weight training, I would switch to maintenance calories until you do.
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Calorie dense foods.

Nuts, full fat dairy, oils, avocados, nut butters, pizza, ice cream - all pack a lot of calories for very little volume.

both of those...
  • Mackinroy
    Mackinroy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Glad I can keep candy bars in my life. Now Someone told me to take creatine, to help with gaining weight. Is there a point with no time to make it to the gym?
  • freys428
    freys428 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mackinroy wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. Glad I can keep candy bars in my life. Now Someone told me to take creatine, to help with gaining weight. Is there a point with no time to make it to the gym?

All creatine is going to do is help muscles maintain water for working out. Your best bet is drink a weight gainer. If you had one that is 1200 calories a day and drink that after breakfast or mid day you'll get lots of healthier calories.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

ceoverturf wrote: »
    Calorie dense foods.

both of those...
    +1
  • yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    Options

There’s no point in taking creatine if you aren’t lifting weights, no. It might make you gain a couple pounds of water weight, but that’s it.
  • roycenichols
    roycenichols Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you keep the candy bars, only consume those in the morning or after workout. After sleep, you need a fast digesting carb to prevent your body retrieving energy from protein sources (your muscles) because you just fasted for 7-8 hours. After a workout your body is depleted of energy and a fast digesting carb helps with that. Consume protein as well so that you can maximize the muscle building process. That process requires energy so the carbs will provide that energy and won't be stored as fat. Any other time do not consume the candy because it will cause a high spike of insulin at an in opportune time and will actually promote fat storage during this time. Consume complex carbs during your inactive periods. These are slow digesting and don't have a high insulin spike
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Do you have time to exercise at home since you can't go to the gym (no travel time, yay). If so... you could look into You Are Your Own Gym (book on Amazon) - it's strength training with body weight that you can do all at home (the only equipment you should need is a chin up bar). The workouts aren't very long and aren't every day. It would help you build some muscle while eating a surplus.
  • LoveIshie
    LoveIshie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    @ Mackinroy, 3500 cal is more than enough for your height as long as you are eating the right foods. You need to portion your meals and probably eat 6 to 7 times a day. Of course some of those meals will be snacks as well. I will suggest going to bodybuilding.com for some meal ideas. Someone on this thread suggested weight gaining powder, I think that is also a good source. As far as hitting the gym, if you can't make it there exercises you can do at home using your body weight. As VeryKatie suggested you can buy the book from Amazon or you can find samples of workout at bodybuilding.com. I hope this was helpful. All the best!
  • Livy716
    Livy716 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out how to make my calorie goal higher. Anybody know?
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If you keep the candy bars, only consume those in the morning or after workout. After sleep, you need a fast digesting carb to prevent your body retrieving energy from protein sources (your muscles) because you just fasted for 7-8 hours. After a workout your body is depleted of energy and a fast digesting carb helps with that. Consume protein as well so that you can maximize the muscle building process. That process requires energy so the carbs will provide that energy and won't be stored as fat. Any other time do not consume the candy because it will cause a high spike of insulin at an in opportune time and will actually promote fat storage during this time. Consume complex carbs during your inactive periods. These are slow digesting and don't have a high insulin spike

While this is true, detailed info about insulin and timing it for optimal growth, OP is underweight and isn't weight training consistently at this point. Some fat is actually optimal right now; his testosterone levels are likely out of whack based his BMI.

OP, just to clarify, insulin drives gluclose, creatine, and a couple other energy producing agents into muscle and fat tissues. It is an anabolic hormone, and tells your body preserve tissue becasue it is being fed. Spiking insulin by inputing a lot of sugars (glucose) when not working out leads to a bit more fat storage; spiking it during/after a workout leads to better muscle growth/better performance & recovery in the gym. When you are not in the gym, having steady blood sugar is optimal; this is achieved through low-glycemic carbs. This is why you see tons of bodybuilders eating lots of oats, sweet potatoes, etc.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

While this is true, detailed info about insulin and timing it for optimal growth, OP is underweight and isn't weight training consistently at this point. Some fat is actually optimal right now; his testosterone levels are likely out of whack based his BMI.

OP, just to clarify, insulin drives gluclose, creatine, and a couple other energy producing agents into muscle and fat tissues. It is an anabolic hormone, and tells your body preserve tissue becasue it is being fed. Spiking insulin by inputing a lot of sugars (glucose) when not working out leads to a bit more fat storage; spiking it during/after a workout leads to better muscle growth/better performance & recovery in the gym. When you are not in the gym, having steady blood sugar is optimal; this is achieved through low-glycemic carbs. This is why you see tons of bodybuilders eating lots of oats, sweet potatoes, etc.

Heh

You learn something new every day.

• wolfgang915
    wolfgang915 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Im having trouble packing on the weight. I'm very active at work. Hard to find the time to hit the gym. I'm male 5'11" at 125 on a good day. My goal right now is set at 3500 calories. I have a hard time hitting it consistently. Tips, pointers, motivation much appreciated

Dude, I know your pain. I am 5'10 and weighed 114 when I joined the arny! 114! I went up to 127 but then I couldn't gain weight Wirth a *kitten*. Finally I started eating 3,000 calories a day and started lifting weights. I am 151 now and I'm getting in shape, you can tell the diffetence, I am in good shape now but I still feel skinby, my goal is 175 And I'm getting there. Gaining about a pound or two a week. You have to eat, eat, eat and lift, lift, lift. It works, just don't get discouraged if you don't see results. It will take two or three months.
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I learned that Liquid meals were key when I was trying to gain weight in High school and little in college.
    I put sugar free Ice cream for flavor, raw eggs, carnation instant breakfast, a banana. regular Milk, oil of your choosing.

I for one prefer coconut Oil (the kind I eat has no taste it's also great on toast with a few teaspoons of peanut butter!)

I also would have a peanut butter sandwich every 3 hours.

Eating when I got up in morning helped tremendous, never skip a meal. By having some precooked meals ready to go gave me the edge when I feel too tired to cook or just didn't want to.

The biggest tip is don't eat until you're full, that is counter productive. You'll be too full for the next meal. Oh and be consistant!

It's not really hard to gain weight, it's harder to gain muscle, that's what really matters.

~Good Luck!