Help with my MFP plan if attack Please!!

Options
Hi There All,
I'm on week three of MFP and came on here not as much to lose weight but to become tighter,leaner,and more fit. I did come in hoping to lose 10 or so lbs to put me at what I consider my ideal weight, but since I know that muscle takes up less space than fat, I understand that the scale isn't the best measure.
My workout plan was walking the beach for one hour 5 days a week with weighted backpack and 2 days a week of a 20 minute Pilates tape. But at 54 years old I was seeing a major body composition change and knew I had to step it up. 7 weeks ago I started a new workout program with five 30 minute high intensity body weight circuit ladders to try and build some muscle and get leaner. I also walk the beach for one hour twice a week.
My calories goals confuse me because I lost 2 lbs the first 2 weeks and gained back 1 lb the 3rd week.
I thought maybe I was eatingback too much of my exercise calories so this past week I scaled back and sure enough I'm back down to the 2 lb loss.
My long winded question is can someone look at my calorie info to make sure I haven't scaled back too much, I don't want to sacrifice muscle growth:
Aug 20-26th:
Calories over wkly goal 2625
Daily average 1575
Goal 1200
Net calories over wkly 655
Net average 1294
Goal 1200
Last 7 days:
Calories over weekly goal 1252
Daily average 1609
Goal 1200
Net cal UNDER wkly goal 1436
Net average 995
Goal 1200
Any help would be much appreciated We are all working TOO HARD to feel like we might be spinning our wheels to our goals

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer ** I'm far from the most informed and still learning, but others can correct me**

First, a little more information would be helpful. Have you properly set your activity level, age,weight, etc in MFP, and have you set weight loss as any goal?

Looking at the info you posted your net calorie deficit (calories out greater than calories in) is very small. It takes approx 3500 calories to make a pound of fat, which is mostly what is burned off during weight loss. If you have not set a weight loss goal in MFP, that at least means your food and exercise tracking is reasonably accurate. The slight up and down changes you have seen may well just be differences in how hydrated you are, and when you weighed yourself.

The general consensus seems to be that staying at a stable weight and firming up is a bit more difficult than thinning down and then firming up as you gain back some weight. This is due to both diet and exercise requirements that are different for the two goals. Combing them to recomposition your body can make it more complex. There are a number of thread on that subject if that is your true goal through.

Most opt to burn weight off first, which is fairly easy if you have dedication. Set a weight loss goal on MFP, be honest with your logging, adjust as/if needed, and do plenty of aerobic and/or cardio type exercise. Bike, run, jog, walk, swim.... choose your poison and burn off calories, fat, and some muscle as well.

Then after you have trimmed down a little below your target weight, start a lifting routine to firm and build where you want and tone up. You'll gain some weight back with the muscle (and probably some fat too).

In short, to lose weight eat at a calorie deficit. To gain weight, eat at a maintenance or surplus calorie goal, and do the right building exercises.

Regardless of age, it can be done. I'm very near your age and doing it myself. There are plenty of examples of people here our age who have made much bigger changes as well, and some true fitness monsters in the mix.

• frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply. My natural inclination has always been to diet down when I wasn't feeling lean enough, but up until the last few years I always felt plenty toned with running/walking & Pilates. But in the last couple of years I noticed body composition changes where even though my normal size still fit, it might feel tighter in the waist. The workout plan I'm following now emphasis not even weighing yourself as you build muscle. It goes against my whole being to be honest. But I was open to something new and know that loss of muscle is a concern at my age.
    It almost seems as if would be a relief to just work on getting the scale to read what I want and work on building muscle later.
    Are you saying I should just concentrate on sticking to the 1200 a day and lose the 10 lbs first? I think I might not fully understand the concept of MFP because when I put in my workouts it tells me all day that I am calorie deficit.
    Yes I did put in my stats of age weight goal weight I put sedentary even though I log over 10k steps a day without my workouts,and I put a weight loss of 2 lbs a week.
    Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options
    Also, should I be looking at NET calories at all. Should I not post my workouts and just concentrate on keeping calories at straight 1200?
    Thank you!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Frankiesgirlie, unfortunately women in the menopause years can be prone to fat accumulating in the abdominal area.

Eat to your calorie goal, plus 50-75% of your exercise.

Use a food scale for solids, and measuring cups for liquids. It is the more accurate way of tracking your input.

Because you are looking to lose 10 lb a .5 lb loss per week is recommended.

Your exercise regime could probably do with a bit more weight lifting/ resistance work. There are a number of threads about the most popular lifting programmes. Resistance work through Bodyweight exercises are also good. The goal of these programmes is progressively challenging the body through adding weight or making the body position more challenging. I can't tell is your circuit work out does this or is static.

As you are losing weight you will not build any extra muscle, but you will help your body retain and your existing muscles. A good programme includes resting a day between each muscle groups use so they can rebuild.
    So, please, keep doing resistance work as you lose.

Robertw is a little misinformed on this, it is much easier to retain your muscles than try to rebuild them after you have lost weight.

It is not a quick fix, but perseverance will get results.

Cheers, h

I went through what you are going through at the same age. It took a year, but I had 30 lb to lose, as well as improve my fittness level.

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

Your exercise regime could probably do with a bit more weight lifting/ resistance work. There are a number of threads about the most popular lifting programmes. Resistance work through Bodyweight exercises are also good. The goal of these programmes is progressively challenging the body through adding weight or making the body position more challenging. I can't tell is your circuit work out does this or is static.

As you are losing weight you will not build any extra muscle, but you will help your body retain and your existing muscles. A good programme includes resting a day between each muscle groups use so they can rebuild.
    So, please, keep doing resistance work as you lose.

Robertw is a little misinformed on this, it is much easier to retain your muscles than try to rebuild them after you have lost weight.

Completely agree that the current calorie deficit is too high to sustain long term.

And thank you for the clarification on where I was misinformed. My intention was closer to correct, but in hindsight poorly worded. I was looking at weight loss with little to no muscle loss, though from my understanding that is still a difficult task and more in the recomp type goal? (Open to further correction!)

Eat to your calorie goal, plus 50-75% of your exercise.

To clarify from the start, I'm not at all questioning this, but looking for a more detailed input.

Do you have any guidelines for the maximum healthy single day calorie deficit as a percentage? I've had trouble finding any solid input on this, and my concern is having too great of a deficit on days I work out harder and burn big calories.

Thank you so much for your reply. My natural inclination has always been to diet down when I wasn't feeling lean enough, but up until the last few years I always felt plenty toned with running/walking & Pilates. But in the last couple of years I noticed body composition changes where even though my normal size still fit, it might feel tighter in the waist. The workout plan I'm following now emphasis not even weighing yourself as you build muscle. It goes against my whole being to be honest. But I was open to something new and know that loss of muscle is a concern at my age.
    It almost seems as if would be a relief to just work on getting the scale to read what I want and work on building muscle later.
    Are you saying I should just concentrate on sticking to the 1200 a day and lose the 10 lbs first? I think I might not fully understand the concept of MFP because when I put in my workouts it tells me all day that I am calorie deficit.
    Yes I did put in my stats of age weight goal weight I put sedentary even though I log over 10k steps a day without my workouts,and I put a weight loss of 2 lbs a week.
    Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

To some extent I've had a similar journey. I don't think I've lost much muscle over the years, but the added fat hides it more, so I look less toned up.

As for the calorie deficit, essentially to lose weight you have to eat at a calorie deficit. Muscle gain during the same period might slow or end your weight loss, but you will look more toned and your measurements will often change.

I completely agree with the statement above by Middlehaitch about reducing your weight loss goal. If you look at rough numbers, for you to lose 2 lbs a week is creating a calorie deficit of 7000 calories a week, or 1000 calories a day. That would be almost as much as you would be eating, and probably not allow nearly enough nutrition to properly support your body, especially if you are still active and exercising.

Though there are differing opinions on what nutrients are the most important, as well as where to set macros at, everything I have seen from well qualified people seems to suggest that for long term loss a calorie deficit should be lower than your current, and often the 10-20% range is used as a healthy window.

• frankiesgirlie
    Options

So, please, keep doing resistance work them after you have lost weight.

The workout program I am doing is called The Betty Rocker.
    It started with a 30 day challenge where you agree to workout with her for 15 minutes for everyday for 30 days. The workouts were challenging from day one even though I've been an exerciser since about 30 years old. That month each day was different and had days of full on tabatta cardio. Days of 15 minutes of lower body with squats , lunges, burpees etc. then about every 4th day she'd throw in an active recovery day with yoga Pilates. I completed that challenge and moved on to her 90 day program which is 30 minutes , 3 to 5 days a week. These are full on high intensity circuits of all the basics like lunges, squats, planks, push ups etc which get progressively tough(according to your fitness level) and use your body weight for a combination of cardio & strength building. She structures them so that no body part gets focused on 2 days in a row. I can tell you that exercise wise I believe I am completely dialed in with this program and have never seen more results strength wise in such a short time. I was never strong in my upper body and never was able to do a "real" push up before, even at 20 years old. Now I'm up to 10 in a row. She advocates not weighing yourself and taking pictures in a bathing suit. I have taken photos and the changes are undeniable, but I still feel "big" because I'm still not fitting into my normal size.
    My nutrition and diet I don't feel so good about. I've never really figured out just how many calories I should be taking in to get to my goal which is to feel light, lean,fit & sexy.
    I am going to take your advise and eat my 1200 calories and 50-75% of my exercise and dial down the goal loss to .5 lbs a week.
    One thing I haven't been able to determine is how much I'm actually burning. My I phone says I burn about 350 calories for the 10k plus steps I do a day, but no amount of research has me confident about my calories burned during my Rocker workouts . I'm 5' 9" and the 30 minutes is 60 seconds push and 10 seconds rest all the way through. I am literally pouring sweat and out of btreath the whole time. Any insight into that would be greatly appreciated.
    By the way. You look fantastic. Whatever you are doing is working.

• frankiesgirlie
    Options
    Sorry. I messed up my last post with not putting "quotes". I hope it was readable.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Frankiesgirlie,
    That work out that you are doing sounds exhausting, disregard my do more weight/ resistance work comment.

Glad that you are upping your intake. You may lose weight a little slower, but you are eating enough to power your workouts, and they will help reshape your body.

I have no idea what your calorie burn would be, but try logging it under circuit training, i think you can chose different intensities, then eat back 50-75% of the calories.

If you find you are not losing .5 lb a week, after a couple of weeks, cut back how much of your exercise burn you eat back by 50-100 cals.

Thanks for the complement.

Cheers, h.