daily sugar intake

Options
2»

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    MFP's sugar goal default is notoriously low and is based on the RDA for 'added' sugars.

Most people suggest turning it off and not even tracking it, unless you have a medical reason (diabetes, etc) for doing so.

^^This. I track fibre instead of sugar since I'm already tracking carbs. :)
  • ralostaz2000
    ralostaz2000 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    For me I am only looking at Carbs as a whole and sonetimes fibers to make sure I am taking enough from them...don't care much about sugars as long as I am adhering to my Calorie limits
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    wayne206 wrote: »
    thanks mfp and members. the reason I'm on a diet, my doc said sugar in lab tests was borderline high on being diabetic. in august, at 220lbs, my sugar was higher, so i asked for another chance instead of medicine. i have until 11-9 to improve. no mt.dews. just 8c water and 2c coffee. today: 206, joined mfp and logging food, excercise, walking and riding bike. this site is a big help. i want to weigh 180 when i go back and it is challeging.
    i'm a 64yr old male. my sciatic nerve have kept me from walking for 7yrs. it does not bother me anymore so far. thx all
    wayne206 wrote: »
    on 9/15, my A1C was6.8. 11/15, was 6.5. 5/16, was 6.4. ( from Dr's visits). Dr said that was better but also to count carbs. My mfp allows me 179 daily carbs. I usually do 100-140 daily. On 9/15, I weighed 221lbs. On 5/16, I weighed 196lbs. I'm working on it and do feel much better. Thanx everyone for the input.

Congrats on your improvements so far! :)

You probably should consider going lower sugar than you are. Your A1C is coming down but not by a lot - it is still a bit high. Low carb is considered to be below 100g (to 150g) per day. You are pretty much there but sugars are half of your carb intake. That part may need to go lower in order to affect your BG and A1C.

Consider skipping most fruits, especially high GI fruits, the worst being raisins, grapes, figs, dates, and tropical fruits (bananas, mangos, melons). Consider limiting fruits grown in temperate regions like oranges, apples, nectarines, plums and pears; just eat half of one and not every day. Berries are some of the lowest GI fruits and tend to be the best fruit to eat for those trying to keep BG down. Avocado is great. Or just skip the fruit in favor of veggies.

As for veggies, avoid starchy root veggies like potatoes, carrots, onions, yams, parsnips and turnips. They will affect your BG more than leafy green veggies or veggies like cucumbers, celery, snap peas, green beans, mushrooms or peppers.

Avoiding grains like wheat, corn, and rice. Just skip it or take a very small amount (like a 1/4c of rice). These foods aren'y great for those with insulin resistance.

I was prediabetic too. I chose to eat a ketogenic diet (fewer than 20-50g of carbs per day) in order to address my insulin resistance. I followed the plan laid out by Dr R Bernstein in Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. It's a very helpful book for diabetics who want NORMAL blood glucose and not just the slightly high "normal" BG levels that dotors often accept from diabetics.

He has a bunch of youtube videos too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VaNJO7KMgg

Another doctor saying basically the same thing:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

Good luck!