How heavy to start?

Options
I'm very new to weight lifting and I have a dumbbell only plan that I am following. I spent 2 weeks not worrying about the weight and only focusing on form, but now I am a little unsure of how much weight I should be starting out with. Should I be close to failure towards the end of my last few reps? Or should I just be feeling fatigued?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Just start adding weight to where you are now. Work your way up.

I usually work my way up to a weight where I cannot complete my prescribed reps, and then I back it off a little. The last few reps should be very difficult but not total failure.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals.
  • Hamez_UK
    Hamez_UK Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you have worked on form for 2 weeks then you should have been lifting pretty light weights. Stick to you planned rep range and just slowly increase the weight. For example, if you have been doing bicep curls with 10s, pick up the 12s next time, then the 14s the time after that and so on. This way you will keep the form that you have been working so hard on and before you know it you will be lifting the weight that is right for you and even more on top of that.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I'm very new to weight lifting and I have a dumbbell only plan that I am following.

Good programs explain how much weight to use and when to increase. Which program are you following?
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Depends. I'm on a program where I can test my 1RM every 4 weeks. That's the only time I will go to failure weight-wise. I might not ALWAYS complete my reps each time I lift (that's usually more mental than physical though). If you can meet the reps on your program, next time add weight.
  • jenmckane86
    jenmckane86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I'm very new to weight lifting and I have a dumbbell only plan that I am following.

Good programs explain how much weight to use and when to increase. Which program are you following?

It's a generic plan that I found on bodybuilding.com. It has deadlifts, squats, pullups (assisted), bench presses, shoulder presses, rows...all with dumbbells.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Nothin wrong with Dumbbells

I would get to an Olympic bar for deads and bent over rows for now

All those other movements can pyramid up from 12 reps light set to drop the count by 2 reps per set and up the pounds.

Dumbbells are great for bench press and vertical shoulder presses. They make you use stabilizer muscles.

If you can do the vertical shoulder presses one arm at a time while standing it feels very different than seated behind the neck shoulder presses.

Dumbbell bench presses you can get great stretch at the bottom.

I have used 100's and don't let anyone tell you can't get a great workout and thick chest with Dumbbells. Not the case at all.

Use a spotter with heavy Dumbbells. A strong spotter.

Good luck with it
  • jenmckane86
    jenmckane86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Nothin wrong with Dumbbells

I would get to an Olympic bar for deads and bent over rows for now

All those other movements can pyramid up from 12 reps light set to drop the count by 2 reps per set and up the pounds.

Dumbbells are great for bench press and vertical shoulder presses. They make you use stabilizer muscles.

If you can do the vertical shoulder presses one arm at a time while standing it feels very different than seated behind the neck shoulder presses.

Dumbbell bench presses you can get great stretch at the bottom.

I have used 100's and don't let anyone tell you can't get a great workout and thick chest with Dumbbells. Not the case at all.

Use a spotter with heavy Dumbbells. A strong spotter.

Good luck with it

Thank you!