PCOS, losing weight and starting a family...

Options
Hey everyone. I'm relatively new to myfitnesspal. I was urged by my nutritionist to join and it's literally changed my life. It's been hard but I'm so grateful for the help and support of choosing a healthier lifestyle.

About the time I started meeting with my nutritionist, I started going to an endocrinologist. I have a history of hypothyroidism in my family and wanted to make sure I didn't have any issues. I've been overweight for a long time (currently 224lb and 5 feet tall) and my menstrual cycle is way, way off. I'm talking a month late and then bleeding for two weeks. I went in expecting to be diagnosed with a thyroid disorder but after many blood tests and doctor appointments, I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). This is hard to hear for my husband and I as we've wanted to start a family soon. And while it's not a death sentence on my womb, I know conceiving is going to be complicated...

My doctor is prescribing Metformin for me and also encouraging me to lose weight. She said if I take the medicine and start taking off some weight, I could have a good chance of having a baby. Does anyone else on here have PCOS? Taking Metformin? Has anyone here who was diagnosed with PCOS had a healthy pregnancy? I've been reading up on as much information as I can get, but a lot of it is doctor mumbo jumbo and it goes over my head... hoping that I can get some advice and encouragement here...

Thanks.

Replies

• ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have a severe case of pcos. And I thankfully have healthy twins. But I needed to do ivf.
    Pregnancy is possible but it may need some additional effort.
  • z304
    z304 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I'm not on Metformin, Yasmin makes my symptoms manageable.
    I haven't had a baby, but I can tell you that weight loss makes a huge impact on how bad my PCOS is, particularly for cramping and pain.