Deterrents to Logging All Calories

Options
Anyone ever find themselves having trouble actually staying on top of logging all of their calories? I mean, it's the first, most rudimentary step to getting serious about weight loss, yet I neglect to do it more often than I do it.

First, I have problems with binging and grazing. During these binges, I tend to lose control, and by the time I'm done, I've no idea how much of what I've eaten, so I just give up and decide to "do better tomorrow."

I've been trying to make myself log even the times I lose control in order to force myself to see what it is I'm eating. But some of my challenges with logging all calories don't have as much to do with something as pathological as mindless overeating as they do with practical issues.

Like, measuring everything on a scale or in a cup or with spoons, whipping out my phone, searching each item in the database, and scanning each barcode, takes a crapload of time for me. It adds a lot of time to the preparation of any meal that doesn't come straight out of a can I can scan. It sucks on it's own, but it's especially bad when I'm trying to make myself breakfast (the "most important meal of the day") before work or something. I hate the fact that I have to be glued to my phone each time I'm making something to eat. And, I'm the sort of person who adds ingredients to taste instead of following strict recipes, so that makes it even harder to be exact.

And then there are times when I'm not eating my own cooking, like if I'm having dinner at my mom's or something. Some things are easier to eyeball than others. A chicken drumstick is a chicken drumstick, for instance. Some things, a little harder. It's difficult to eyeball how many grams or rice you're eating, but using "serving size" guidelines, you can kind of estimate to something that is inexact, but better than nothing. But when you have something all mixed up, like stews or soups or stir-fried meals or anything that is a heterogenous mixture rather than everything having its clear territory on the plate, it feels like all hope of knowing what I'm eating is lost.

There are other instances where counting is hard, too. Like, a friend offers you a treat or something. It's a little awkward asking if you can have the package so you can log it. If you're familiar with it, it's not too hard to search for, but otherwise...

Anyone have any tips for overcoming these challenges? Thanks!

Replies

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Some tips that would be helpful:

1. Plan and pre log your meals
    2. Take a "tare" before binging / grazing (if you can't avoid that behavior altogether). If it's chips, weigh the bag before so that you can weigh after and calculate the amount consumed.
    3. Allow yourself the freedom to estimate sometimes
    4. Overestimate calories if you aren't losing weight already
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I read a random reply in the forums the other week that stuck with me. I do not remember who wrote it, or in what context, but it stuck by me, I am now trying to follow it for the entire month of September, hoping that it will change something fundamentally in my brain: It is not so much about finding your motivation, as it is about discipline. Discipline is key, not motivation.
    I have a feeling from your post that you are looking for excuses to fail beforehand (I can relate though). I weigh everything that I eat individually, and when I cook for the family, I just log 1 serving size from the database, knowing I surely will be off, but probably not enough to eat even higher than maintenance level. Mind you, I am only on day 2 of the Discipline experiment!
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I do a few things:

1) Prep your breakfast ahead of time, and stick with a few basic versions, which makes logging easier. For example, on weekdays I either eat 2 hardboiled eggs+1 cup raisin bran&1/2 cup milk OR I eat 2 hardboiled eggs+half a sweet potato. On weekends I typically eat sauteed kale or spinach with two fried eggs on top. All of these are in my logs since I eat them so often, so instead of having to search every time, I just click off what I had that day and I'm set. Likewise, with lunches and such I try to eat leftovers from dinner, which makes it easier to figure out portions and calories.

2) Eating at other people's houses/restaurants is tough. I try to do my best to eyeball, or stick with things that I can easily guess/know are better choices. If you're eating regularly at your mom's, you could always ask her specifics of what she's making or what was in the food. If it's once every few weeks, eyeballing one meal isn't the end of the world.

3) As far as binge-eating, that's a bit outside what I feel comfortable giving advice on...if you think your eating is out of control, it might be good to spend a few sessions talking it out with a qualified mental health professional, or your primary care doc. If it's just that you're mindlessly snacking, I like to log my snacks before I eat them-then I know what the calorie hit is, and I feel obligated to stick to what I logged and not go overboard.
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    plan and pre log meals is key! and if you're making something create a recipe in the recipe builder rather than adding each ingredient separate, that way it's saved if you use it again and you just need to select the recipe
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    1. Prelog whenever you can. I log 99% of what I eat the day before so that I don't even have to think about it.
    2. Weigh and be as accurate as you can the majority of the time so that when you do estimate, you have that wiggle room.
    3. Don't be ashamed of what you need to do to manage your weight. I don't hide that I'm counting calories, so if I ask a friend to see a package or container, s/he understands why.
    4. If you haven't already, embrace the recipe builder. It helps a lot with meal prep.
    5. Decide what you want out of life. There are times when it takes more time to log accurately. There are times when it may even be a hassle. But I'd rather deal with that time and hassle and be the size that I am now than go back to the way that I was before. It's my decision to spend this time and effort because it is worth it to me.
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've found that pre-logging helps. Try to plan your meals out for the day and log them in your diary in the morning. That helps to keep me honest, and I actually enjoy my meals more because I'm not sitting there entering calories on my phone while I eat.

Yes, it takes time to measure/weigh things all the time, but once you have those items in your history on MFP, you don't have to go to the trouble of looking them up again. Just find them in your list from before and add them. Yes, you still have to weigh and measure the portions and keep track of everything and it takes time. If that's really bothersome for you, then I hate to say it, but you're not going to lose weight. Especially if you're letting yourself get so hungry that you can't even remember what you just ate.

Here's the the thing--the only way to lose weight is to burn more than you eat. The only way to know if you're burning more than you eat is to log your food. If you're going to sit here and make excuses about what a pain in the butt it is, then you're probably already not in the right mindset to make this work. You have to want to do it. No lifestyle change is easy, especially this one.

On those occasions where you don't know what exactly you're eating, you have two choices: 1) make your best guess, or 2) don't eat it. It's pretty much as simple as that. Nobody else is responsible for what you eat but you. Not your mom, not restaurants, not anybody. You choose what goes in your mouth.

I would suggest that before trying any of this, get in the right mindset first. All these excuses are just setting you up for failure from the get go.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes, all of the things you mention make logging more difficult but it sounds like you're looking for excuses not to do it, that you're focusing on the negative aspects rather than the positive. For instance, it would seem to me that the simple act of forcing yourself to actually log everything you are eating would help to prevent a binge, or at least cut it short. I know that it would for me. As soon as I realized where it was going, I'd be more mindful of what I was doing.

I'm not perfect with my logging, either. Most people aren't. There really are things you just don't know enough about to accurately log them. But at least make a stab at it, and overestimate. In recipes, most things I'm adding "to taste" are spices, which have no calories, and vegetables which have very few. As long as you're measuring the things which actually have a lot of calories, you should be pretty close to the actual calories.

The most important thing here is that nobody is holding your feet to the fire and forcing you log everything you eat. You are doing this for you, not for me or for anyone else here. If you are finding that calorie counting isn't for you, then find another method. Perhaps a point system like Weight Watchers would suit you better (just don't fall for the zero point all you can eat fruit idea). Or don't try at all. It's really your call.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm not a pre-logger, planning ahead is very very difficult for me for a number of reasons, some of them cognitive. While it's good advice it doesn't work for everyone.

Logging though, after the first week or so of doing it consistently, is not difficult or time consuming. It adds a few minutes onto meal prep. For recipes, I freewheel too but as long as you weigh calorie dense items accurately you'll be close enough with an overestimate on serving size. I mean, it's not like you're going to suddenly throw in a bag of rice, or a bunch of potatoes "to taste".

As for bingeing, log as much of it as you can. I found when it was a big problem of mine I'd be deliberately buying junk for a later that day binge, so most things are newly opened. Pretty easy to know how much I've eaten.

I think what this is boiling down to is your commitment to losing weight. Finding 100 reasons not to log is just an excuse not to commit. I think most of us have been there. At some point you'll lose the excuses and just do what needs to be done.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

The whole logic behind tracking is so you're aware of you are consuming each day, thus making those binges less likely to happen. If this is still a struggle for you then I'd echo what a few posters above have said - Pre-plan.

I always give myself 10-15 minutes each night to scan and log all the foods for the following day. It makes things so simple and you don't have to hurredly try and 'find something to eat' all the time - it's already there waiting for you. I hope this helps you and let us know how you get on. :0
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    excuses are easy
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    A really boring eating style with the same things constantly makes it easy.

Even if I don't remember what flavor exactly I had for lunch if I wait to log in the evening - it's the same calories.
    I have no food around for grazing during the day, if I did do something special, I'll log it or picture the info home to look up later.

For times I might graze, I'll at least weigh the bag of whatever before and after, with scratch paper next to scale to right the results on.

I can say no to treats offered, unless this is stranger and hospitality in their culture to be polite, otherwise excuses to them on not eating are easier than excuses to myself as to why I did eat.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    What everyone said and I'll echo the following -

Simplify! If you generally eat the same things, changing it up now and then or alternating days, logging is fairly easy. For example; Monday morning eggs & veggies for breakfast. Tuesday morning oatmeal w/fruit for breakfast. Monday morning eggs & veggies for breakfast, and so on. Do that for a month and then change food items/selections so you don't get bored.

Food prep is absolutely key! Every Sunday I plan out the breakfasts/snacks/lunches and dinners for my family. I take a quick inventory, make a list and hit Whole Foods. Once I get home I do all of my prep for the week weighing and measuring and pre-packaging for the fridge. It takes some time but it makes a huge difference, and ultimately saves time over the week when we can just grab and go, and know portion sizes. This will help with things like your breakfast issue. Although I can't imagine what kind of breakfast you'd have that's so complex you can't at least estimate the ingredients. It seems like you're looking for an excuse to not log. It only takes a couple of minutes to look up bacon and eggs or toast or cereal or milk, etc.

Pre-log... that helps to keep you on track througout the day. But that won't work unless you do the first two items.

Learn to politely decline if & when someone offers you something. Or learn to say no without feeling guilty. Or even better, learn to ask for the nutritional information or package before eating something offered. I have no problem doing that what so ever and no one has ever thought I was being rude.

Last... excuses don't burn calories.
  • DayByDayGetStronger
    Options
    The cause of your binging is what needs more focus...not WHAT you are eating. Something in your head is telling you to eat...figure out how to quiet this voice. Only a mental health professional can get you through this. ---Your friendly dietitian
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Like, measuring everything on a scale or in a cup or with spoons, whipping out my phone, searching each item in the database, and scanning each barcode, takes a crapload of time for me. It adds a lot of time to the preparation of any meal that doesn't come straight out of a can I can scan.
    It gets faster with time. Now that I have been doing this for over a month, most of the things that I eat regularly are already on my recent foods list.
    I hate the fact that I have to be glued to my phone each time I'm making something to eat. And, I'm the sort of person who adds ingredients to taste instead of following strict recipes, so that makes it even harder to be exact.
    I keep a notepad and pencil next to my scale. I write it down as I add it. If I am doing something to taste, I weigh the bottle (for spices) or container before I start adding. When I am done, I re-weigh and subtract. Then I write that down. I dont log it until I eat it, but I keep that paper with the meal.
    And then there are times when I'm not eating my own cooking, like if I'm having dinner at my mom's or something.
    Maybe ask your mom to let you help and weigh things. My mom has been super good about helping me out here. Doesn't even flinch when I grab the box/can out of the trash to see what she put in things anymore! Just reminds me to put it back and wash my hands LOL.

All in all, there is always an excuse to take the easy way out and not log. I tried the whole estimate thing, and ended up eating maintenance for almost 6 months. If you are as accurate as possible when you can be, then when you are over here and there it will not do too much damage. Good luck!
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    1. Yes, it's a pain in the neck to track binges, but it's important to do it. Knowing what you're eating--what you're really eating, even when you don't want to think about it--is crucial to making positive changes. You really, honestly can't get control of your habits without fully understanding what they are. And understanding is the beginning of control.

2. Ideally you'll track every morsel that goes into your mouth, but when you're pressed for time the calorie-density of the food dictates how important it is to be completely accurate. Consider that an incentive to eat more produce. Being wrong by as much as 50% on the size of "a cup" of broccoli or even blueberries is a mistake you could make every day without much impact. Being 50% off on "a cup" of peanut butter or yogurt or even rice is a different matter. If you have to take one shortcut, take it with a vegetable. If you must take another, maybe it's a piece of fruit. Apply your effort where it will do the most good (which is everywhere else).

3. Speaking of which, that advice also applies when other people are cooking. A chicken leg isn't always just a chicken leg, since they come in a huge variety of sizes. But you can do your best at eyeballing most of what's on the plate, and then ask about the hidden ingredients that make the most difference, calorie-wise. My husband cooks often, so I just ask him about "added fat" in each component of the meal--any butter he stirred in, any oil he brushed on, any marinades he used. Cheese melted into a broth or sauce. It's not a perfect system, but if you're brutally honest with yourself about what you actually see and generous with your estimates of what you don't see (everyone thinks they just used "a little olive oil," so ask more detailed questions), it can work.
  • angelica_lisa
    angelica_lisa Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree that you have to determine what is causing you to binge. At first it may be hard to figure out what your triggers are, but the more you make yourself aware, the easier it will be to get them under control. sometimes it can be certain foods that cause you to eat without knowing when to stop. Other times it could be a bad phone call, a fight with someone, or stress about an upcoming event that triggers the binge.

What feelings are you experiencing at the time of the binge...anger, sadness, boredom? That can also be key to narrowing down the triggers.

It also helps to set your kitchen environment up in a manner where if you do binge, you will only have nutritious foods to choose from. This could also cut down on the number of times you binge eat. Also, have the scale, cups, and spoons in an easy-to-reach place, not buried at the back of a drawer or cabinet. The more convenient it is for you, the easier it will be to use them. Some serving spoons have measurements on them, so you can easily measure out half a cup or a cup of food without it looking obvious.

Once you learn what a cup of something (e.g rice) looks like, it will be easier to guesstimate when you are out - whether you are serving yourself at a buffet or someone is making food to order.

If a friend offers you a treat, you can ask them the name of the item - it's okay to be curious about what you are eating. Take a picture of it if you need to - nowadays people take pics of everything so it won't be so strange if you do it too. You can always look up the item later online.

To me, all of these obstacles that you are facing are normal, and once you find out a way to work through them you can truly get on track to a healthier lifestyle. I don't necessarily see them as "excuses" - that doesn't help get to the root of the issue. This isn't about "willpower" - just healthier eating and lifestyle.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I struggled with all the things you mentioned for the first month or two. Now, I find I can log much quicker and easier even with weighing my foods. Once you get a good personal database of the foods you typically eat through you "recent", "meals" and "recipes" lists it makes everything much easier. Plus you get much better at eyeballing amounts as you weigh, so you know what is "typical" for a serving. For example, I plopped 113 grams (a serving) of cottage cheese in my bowl this morning on the first try!

A little bit of time and effort in the first couple of months does pay off in the end and it does get much much easier (IMO). I am also a fan of pre-logging and then changing things throughout the day as needed.

As far as your mornings go, all I can suggest is to get a really good rotation of meals and ideas and then swap out ingredients to change it up. Good bases for this are protein shakes, oatmeal and eggs. You can easily add and subtract ingredients to change flavors without a lot of work.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Use your phone camera - take a quick photo of the nutrition label on the packages. Take a photo of the meal. Log it later that day. I log as I go, but not during meal prep, I do it after I eat. In the beginning it gets you just in the habit of logging, no matter what you eat, and gives you an idea of places you can cut back.

Like a financial budget, but with calories.

I agree with Emily3907: ". . . log much quicker and easier even with weighing my foods. Once you get a good personal database of the foods you typically eat through you "recent", "meals" and "recipes" lists it makes everything much easier. Plus you get much better at eyeballing amounts as you weigh, so you know what is "typical" for a serving."
  • marsinah1
    marsinah1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I found that logging sharply curtailed my grazing habits because I didn't want to take the time to calculate how much of a serving that one potato chip was that I was grabbing, let alone take the time to log it. If I'm eating something I don't have time to log, I make a note of it and take care of it at the end of the day. I also have no problem asking people for their recipes or where they found them so I can later enter them into the recipe builder and input my meal. If I can't get information for a meal, I log the components and guesstimate the best that I can. It's always possible to come up with reasons why something I logged wasn't the most accurate measurement possible, but that's not going to keep me from at least getting an idea of what the day was like nutritionally.