Options
2»

Replies

• annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »

Will you go up by 10lbs?

I have an 8 kg and a 12 kg. I use the 8 more for the single-arm swings and the 12 for the 2-arm. I can do the 12 for 1-arm, but for 300/day I thought I'd take it on the easier side until I get used to the increase in reps. I guess I'll just see how I feel from day to day. I've never done kb more than sporadically, so I'm assuming too much too fast is a bad thing?
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

This article by Dan John one of the most respected strength and conditioning guys in the world, explains why the swing is a full body workout.

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/10000-swing-kettlebell-workout

Damn, that workout is no joke. Something to aspire to, definitely.

• FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever done this challenge?

I recently started doing kettlebells regularly, and came across this challenge when browsing workouts. Any thoughts?

This is a must do. Thank you for the inspiration!
  • linz1976
    linz1976 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give this a go but start it on Monday as going away for the weekend
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of this challenge. However, I JUST started using my kettlebells regularly. Currently, I am up to 3 sets of 25 swings with a 10 lb kettlebell. I am getting ready to move up to 15 lbs. (I am starting low and slow to get my form correct and work up.) I am striving to be in a place where I could do a challenge like this, I am just not there yet.

If you feel up to the challenge, I say go for it! :)
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I am so new to all this....I just started strong lifts 5×5. Are kettle bell swings more cardio or more weight lifting? Do you need rest days like in weight lifting?
    Should I do the kettle bells on the same day as strong lifts or on rest days?
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    I love the idea of this challenge. However, I JUST started using my kettlebells regularly. Currently, I am up to 3 sets of 25 swings with a 10 lb kettlebell. I am getting ready to move up to 15 lbs. (I am starting low and slow to get my form correct and work up.) I am striving to be in a place where I could do a challenge like this, I am just not there yet.

• FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Began Day 1 yesterday. I'm on my way!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    hamelle2 wrote: »
    I am so new to all this....I just started strong lifts 5×5. Are kettle bell swings more cardio or more weight lifting? Do you need rest days like in weight lifting?

I add swings to help the hams and glutes that can help with the SL 1x5 deadlift. I swing a 15lb KB on the DL days or between workouts. I ordered a 25lb and 35lb from Amazon. With the heavier weight I am going to do them only on lifting days.

I also use one for Turkish Get-ups on off days.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I wholeheartedly disagree with all of this.

First of all, kettlebell swings are a total body workout. And I do appreciate that most people do them incorrectly, but I know what to do and what not to do.

And second of all, 300 reps a day doesn't take hours and hours, and it's certainly not mindless. I can knock out 100 reps in less than 5 minutes, with plenty of rest between sets of 25. Then a few hours later I do my next set of 100.

I appreciate you playing devil's advocate, but I was hoping to hear from those that have actually done this, not those who haven't and want to talk me out of it.

Might I ask where the challenge in all of this is then if you're able to complete it in 15 minutes?(not including 2-5 minute rest times). Personally I'm not a fan of a movement that relies heavily on momentum. Work outs just feel more pleasing if you're able to fatigue every muscle with controlled movements. Not bashing the swings at all, everyone's got their own personal preferences.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If you are doing them right you are overcoming inertia, rather than relying on momentum. I know this is about swings, but I'd like to mention the Turkish get-up as another worthwhile thing to do with a kettlebell. I do 10 after my swings.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    hamelle2 wrote: »

I add swings to help the hams and glutes that can help with the SL 1x5 deadlift. I swing a 15lb KB on the DL days or between workouts. I ordered a 25lb and 35lb from Amazon. With the heavier weight I am going to do them only on lifting days.

I also use one for Turkish Get-ups on off days.

Thank you. It arrived yesterday. I hope I can get the form correct on my own.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Just gave a swing with my new 25# and 35# KBs yesterday. Whole new world from 15#.