recipe overlap

Hi all!

I'm just wondering if there is an easy way to overlap your recipes? Here's my example...

So I have made homemade marinara sauce (quite tasty, if I do say so myself), but I want it to be applicable to multiple meals (for instance, last night I made baked rigatoni, but what about when I make spaghetti or pizza or something?).

When I build my recipes, I can't seem to figure out a way to use my already built marinara sauce in the new recipe. I search the database, it isn't there. I'm obviously not going to use the entire batch of marinara sauce for the baked rigatoni...the batch I made serves a loooot (like 20, I calculated), but the baked rigatoni serves 6.

Any tips? :)

Replies

• Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    I think you'd need to create the marinara sauce as a food, so it's available in the food database and can be selected when creating your recipes. Creating the new food should be fairly easy since you have already created it as a recipe and have the nutritional values per serving available there.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    We used to be able to search for and use our saved Recipes; however, we lost that capability in the Great Recipe Importer Fiasco of October 2014.

There are two methods to work around this issue. One method is to log the first Recipe in your Food Diary, then save it as a My Meals item; when you add the My Meals item to the new Recipe, it will populate each individual item from the My Meals item into your new Recipe so that you can then edit the individual ingredients if needed. The second method is to create a personal My Foods item based on the nutritional information for one serving of your first Recipe (please do not share it with the public database); when you add the My Foods item to the new Recipe, you will only be able to edit the quantity of the My Foods item in your new Recipe, and it will only appear as one ingredient.

For both of these methods, you must use the Old Recipe Calculator, found on the Web version only, to create the new Recipe.

Please see these articles, and search for other helpful articles, on the MFP Help pages...
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/536046-how-can-i-use-a-recipe-as-an-ingredient-in-a-new-recipe-
    https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/525941-how-do-i-log-a-food-that-is-not-in-the-database-
  • castyourshadow
    castyourshadow Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you so much, Ruatine and CyberTone!

I used the second method you mentioned, CyberTone. I really appreciate your help. It was really frustrating at first. I'm a habitual on-again-off-again user, but my co-worker uses MFP too...so now I get a kick in the pants every day. ;)