Replies

• MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I do not.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I think people use any excuse to log calories burned, then eat more and don't lose weight. Then they complain about not losing weight and ask why. I don't think it's helpful to count everyday activities but things that actually use muscle and get your heart rate up for longer periods of time. Maybe more people will read this post and learn from it. Good question :). Hope it has helped.

Good answer- as you said- ppl should learn from it. Living life and exercising are 2 different thing in my world anyway. If Im not in sneakers and a workout bra its not a workout.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I only count what gets my heart rate up. Invest in a HRM if you can. I recommend the Polar ft4. I do some things around the house like mowing the grass and I count it (push mower only, not the ride on). I figure if my heart rate is not in the zone it shouldn't count as extra calories burned. JMO
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I dont include any cooking or cleaning in my exercise. That is my job as a mother and wife right now.

One absolute bonus is today i cleaned the whole kitchen including all the dishes and did not break a sweat. I am fitter than i have been for a long time :)

Tomorrow i will run around town like a blue-arsed-fly and then go to a soft play and take it in turns to run around after three toddler and then i will clean my house for hours followed by an hours cooking (at least) and another hours tidying up. Thats just my life though. Its not exercise, exercise is what i do at the end of the day when the boys are asleep and i get me belt out and do some belly dancing!
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Do people who count cooking, count sex?
  • Growtinymusclesgrow
    Options
    No, those are bonus calories you burn with life, that is not expercise or something you do to exert energy and purposefully burn calories...

Ditto..... in my opinion, anything above and beyond is exercise, normal routine activities is just part of your life style.

Cooking/food prep is already included when you figure out how many calories you burn just being you everyday. I still can't figure this whole "eat back your exercise calorie thing"...but hey, each to their own.

Also, if you spend let's say 30 mins per meal prepping and somehow you figure that is exercise, then how do you know how to count or even figure out how many calories you might have burned? Do you let MFP tell you? Exercise calories are just that exercise...not sweeping, doing dishes, folding clothes...etc. SMH!!!
  • Growtinymusclesgrow
    Options
    I think people use any excuse to log calories burned, then eat more and don't lose weight. Then they complain about not losing weight and ask why. I don't think it's helpful to count everyday activities but things that actually use muscle and get your heart rate up for longer periods of time. Maybe more people will read this post and learn from it. Good question :). Hope it has helped.

Yay! Someone who makes sense...FINALLY!!!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I once saw someone add 3 minutes of food preparation. 7 calories burned.
  • penchantforproduce
    Options
    Reading through these replies, I think I may just count some of it. For me, I am trying to maintain and not lose weight so It is probably worth adding to "balance the books" at least somewhat. Typically my sundays consist of waking up, three hours of cooking, an hour of yoga, more cooking (maybe another 3 hours) an hour at the gym, and yet more cooking. I am generally really conservative and even though I spend maybe 8-9 hours in the kitchen on a sunday I only add in about 2-300 calories plus whatever I burn doing cardio (measured by HRM) and about 150 for an hour of ashtanga yoga. So far no weight gain from this so I assume its working out OK...