Lost 10lbs...see no difference

Options
I lost 10lbs and I see no difference in the mirror. I'm 5'4" and figured it'd make some difference. I went from 164 to 152. No ones noticed I've lost weight. I'm really motivated now to lose another 10lbs!!

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I lost 10lbs and I see no difference in the mirror. I'm 5'4" and figured it'd make some difference. I went from 164 to 152. No ones noticed I've lost weight. I'm really motivated now to lose another 10lbs!!

good for you! Keep setting those goals and keep going!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I bet there's a difference. I started at 5'4" and 163 too! Take measurements!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    How long did it take for the weight to come off?
    People need time to notice differences.

Awesome job btw, that is no small feet. Even 10 lbs isn't obvious to people but soon you will notice, others will follow.

Last year a colleague lost about 50 lbs and it wasnt until the last 10 that people started saying..."what the heck happened to Rich?" He wasnt extremely overweight either but just leaned right out as he fell in love with running. I noticed a few times, that he looked thin but thought maybe it was his wardrobe. I never said anything until it was totally obvious.

I think people are a little reserved to say something until they are certain. Its not an easy thing to say for some people because "did you lose weight?" is kind of like saying "you used to be big"
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need a new outfit. Something that fits you better, I will bet you get a compliment then :)
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Good point riffraff. I took some measurements and I lost a couple inches. I'm just getting impatient. It took a couple months to lose 10. I guess by next summer I should have my hot body
  • jessica22222
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Maybe you need a new outfit. Something that fits you better, I will bet you get a compliment then :)

Um...that's a brilliant idea!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Good point riffraff. I took some measurements and I lost a couple inches. I'm just getting impatient. It took a couple months to lose 10. I guess by next summer I should have my hot body

Just remember to enjoy yourself and your body every step of the way. Time goes by fast :)
  • jessica22222
    Options
    Yes arditarose that's great advice. Sometimes you get lost and clouded. It's so important to enjoy life and not stress over things
  • gilliebee63
    gilliebee63 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15... From 140 to 125 at 5'2".... And I am finally getting some comments but only from family members. My work clothes are too baggy it seems to have anyone notice, although one colleague did just last week. Before that I was getting the general "you look great" or "you're glowing".

That's good enough for me... I feel different and know that I am in for more fun the next time I shop for clothes than in a long time.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I had lost about 20 lbs before I started noticing a difference ... and it was a good 30 lbs before anyone else noticed.

The new outfit idea is a good one. I started wearing clothes I haven't been able to get into for a few years, and that was a really good feeling. :)
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and started at 174. I lost 20 pounds before I even dropped a jean size and if anyone noticed, no one said a word. In part for me, I had gained the weight all over, so I lost it all over. It wasn't that noticeable for a quite a while. I hit 130 around Christmas time last year and have been maintaining ever since.

I've had 2 odd things about that. First, I've had more people comment in the last 3 weeks that I've lost weight recently, than in the whole year it took me to lose the weight. These are people I've seen multiple times since I hit maintenance, but they all think I've recently lost more weight. (I haven't). Second, I was talking with my dad about my weight loss. I told him I'd lost close to 50 pounds and he was shocked. He had no idea I had lost so much, nor that I had so much to lose in the first place. I 'carried it well'.

I also think it's pretty common for people to not know how to compliment people on weight loss. They are afraid of saying the wrong thing, so they say nothing.
  • Machka9
    Options
    MissJay75 wrote: »
    I am 5'7 and started at 174. I lost 20 pounds before I even dropped a jean size and if anyone noticed, no one said a word. In part for me, I had gained the weight all over, so I lost it all over. It wasn't that noticeable for a quite a while. I hit 130 around Christmas time last year and have been maintaining ever since.

I've had 2 odd things about that. First, I've had more people comment in the last 3 weeks that I've lost weight recently, than in the whole year it took me to lose the weight. These are people I've seen multiple times since I hit maintenance, but they all think I've recently lost more weight. (I haven't). Second, I was talking with my dad about my weight loss. I told him I'd lost close to 50 pounds and he was shocked. He had no idea I had lost so much, nor that I had so much to lose in the first place. I 'carried it well'.

I also think it's pretty common for people to not know how to compliment people on weight loss. They are afraid of saying the wrong thing, so they say nothing.

I'm in a very similar situation ... similar height and weight too. I've now lost about 43 lbs ... and people do occasionally comment, but when I tell them I've lost 43 lbs, they're picking their jaws up off the floor. Evidently I looked a little bit plump, but not that heavy.

Even my husband was floored when I finally told him how much I had lost. He knew I was using MFP and was losing weight ... I just didn't tell him how much until quite recently. I think he figured I had about 20 lbs to lose or something like that.

And I agree that it can be hard for others to know what to say. My coworkers have been approaching it very hesitantly, usually prefacing it with something along the lines of, "I don't want this to come across badly but ... have you lost some weight?"

• MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Machka9 - Congrats on your weight loss!! And thanks for sharing, nice to know I'm not the only one. :smile:
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I don't want to take away from you reaching your goal but I just don't think 10 pounds is very visible.

I would even go as far to say 10 pounds would be hard to see even if you measured your waist or arms etc

But keep it up assuming you have more to lose. I'm
    Not sure what a healthy weight is for shorter people.

Something that seems to help people is to imagine 10 pounds of peanut butter. Smear that all over your body, it's likely to not make a very thick layer.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    It's difficult for people who see you every day to notice. Take pics and measurements of yourself every month or so to compare and you'll be able to see the difference. Also - most people will never comment even when it's blatantly obvious, they don't want to make personal comments or they might think it could be illness-related. And the new clothes comment above - yes! My old clothes look awful now as they make me look so much bigger, get clothes that fit and you'll look and feel better. But don't buy too many if you're planning to lose more :wink: Good luck with your journey x
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately 10lbs is just not very noticeable; most people find it takes around 20lbs before people start noticing, including myself. But you're halfway there! Use that motivation and keep going, you got this :)
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30lbs and no one has mentioned that I've lost weight. I was pretty put-out but I try not to let it bother me too much now. Weight is such a personal thing - even losing it - so I suppose people are mindful of mentioning things like that which shows that a lot of people I know have some level of tact! If you feel better in yourself, forget other people. You aren't doing it for compliments.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Not all of it will be fat, so it isn't always a instant difference. However, I know I lose/gain weight first from places I don't expect it. I expect weight to be gained/lost from the stomach/belly area first, but for me it's more like face, neck, calves, quads.

Congratulations - the hardest part is starting and you've done it!
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Something that seems to help people is to imagine 10 pounds of peanut butter. Smear that all over your body, it's likely to not make a very thick layer.

I love this idea! :D
    I always thought that 10 pounds was a hell of a lot but having gone from 146 to 136 pounds in the last few months I can see that it's actually not, not when spread over your whole body, and certainly not enough for other people to notice.
  • Machka9
    Options
    MissJay75 wrote: »
    Machka9 - Congrats on your weight loss!! And thanks for sharing, nice to know I'm not the only one. :smile:

Congrats to you too! :)