Anyone else eat low cal in the week and binge on weekends?

Options
According to mfp, I need to eat 1400 cals per day to lose weight. I was doing this, but I was binging on weekends so I wasn't losing. I work 6 days a week and me and my close circle of friends go out on Sunday and go for a meal, drink all day and then eat loads of rubbish from the takeaway. Unhealthy, I know, but we have a great time and I really look forward to it. Anyway, a few months ago, I decided to try something different. 1400x7 days = 9,800, meaning I should consume around 9,800 calories per week. Instead of 1,400 cals per day, I've started eating a healthy 1,000 calories 6 days a week which amounts to 6000 cals. Then I've been going crazy on Sundays, consuming 3,500-4000 calories. I've been losing 1-2 pounds per week this way and I can enjoy myself without guilt. I've finally found something that works. Anyone else do this? I know it's unhealthy but I love having one day a week were I can go absolutely mental and eat whatever I want, whilst still losing at a steady pace.

Replies

• leahxxoo
    leahxxoo Posts: 23 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I don't think losing 1/2 pounds per week means I should seek professional help haha!!!! What's strange is that when I was 21 (I'm 23 now) I was a stone or so overweight, and I was tired all of the time. I had tests done and my blood pressure was quite high, I was anemic and my cholesterol levels were dangerous. You guessed it, I got new results back early last month and everything was spot on. I know loads and loads of people who do what I do, but they're overeating in the week aswell, and are subsequently obese.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sounds like a recipe for disaster in the long run.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is unhealthy. If you'd prefer a professional opinion, talk to a dietitian i guess. I've been doing this, too. I'm managing my weight and keeping up with my daily activity just fine. What makes you feel it's unhealthy, OP?
  • hotasfire36
    hotasfire36 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I go crazy eating on Saturdays, but I eat anout 1500 cals a week. I lose different amounts weekly. Sometimes 2 pounds and sometimes .50.
  • leahxxoo
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    I don't think this is unhealthy. If you'd prefer a professional opinion, talk to a dietitian i guess. I've been doing this, too. I'm managing my weight and keeping up with my daily activity just fine. What makes you feel it's unhealthy, OP?
    Not the fact that I'm binging, just what I binge on.. all greasy fast food crap haha!! I enjoy myself though :smiley: My GP told me she was amazed with my recent tests results so it can't be too bad I guess :P

• Protranser
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    If you just saw your doctor....maybe you should tell him/her that you are choosing to eat 5 days a week at 1000 calories a day so that you can be a glutton with food and alcohol on the weekend and see what the response is? Maybe research how much lean muscle you'll lose if you eat at that level of deficit like you are and then gorge on the weekends. Hey...you just wanted people to pat you on the back for what you already admitted was unhealthy and say go for it. The person who posted above already did that for you, so congrats. However....in the end, it'll be a disaster. It's your life though.

The idea that at 21 you were already having all those issues....also super red flag. Most people can get away when they are young with bad habit and not have it effect their health.

in 5 days yes, OP only has 5000 calories. In 7 days, OP averages 1500ish calories. In a week OP is supposed to have 9800 calories. If we work with the idea that meal timing is not important, then OP is getting 5000 calories in 5 days and 4800 calories for the other two days averaging 1400 calories a day if you're using 7 days for your average instead of 5.

So, if MFP suggests an average of 1400 calories a day, and the OP is getting the average of 1400 calories a day, where is the problem?
  • Protranser
    Options
    leahxxoo wrote: »
    Not the fact that I'm binging, just what I binge on.. all greasy fast food crap haha!! I enjoy myself though :smiley: My GP told me she was amazed with my recent tests results so it can't be too bad I guess :P

Also, binge eating comes with guilt and the feeling that you have no control over your eating. Is that something you're feeling when you're eating? Do you think you have no control over what goes in your mouth? if so, then yes, I think you could be binging. However, from your post, it doesn't seem to me that you're feeling that type of powerlessness over your consumption. Using the term binge when discussing food is slippery here, but that's just my own non professional opinion.
  • leahxxoo
    Options
    If you just saw your doctor....maybe you should tell him/her that you are choosing to eat 5 days a week at 1000 calories a day so that you can be a glutton with food and alcohol on the weekend and see what the response is? Maybe research how much lean muscle you'll lose if you eat at that level of deficit like you are and then gorge on the weekends. Hey...you just wanted people to pat you on the back for what you already admitted was unhealthy and say go for it. The person who posted above already did that for you, so congrats. However....in the end, it'll be a disaster. It's your life though.

The idea that at 21 you were already having all those issues....also super red flag. Most people can get away when they are young with bad habit and not have it effect their health.

in 5 days yes, OP only has 5000 calories. In 7 days, OP averages 1500ish calories. In a week OP is supposed to have 9800 calories. If we work with the idea that meal timing is not important, then OP is getting 5000 calories in 5 days and 4800 calories for the other two days averaging 1400 calories a day if you're using 7 days for your average instead of 5.

So, if MFP suggests an average of 1400 calories a day, and the OP is getting the average of 1400 calories a day, where is the problem?

Exactly.
    shell1005... I had those issues because I didn't move. I just sat in my room and ordered 16" pizzas and crisps everyday. I was a mess. I'm full of energy now and I cycle a lot (always eat the calories back). Which is why I'm much healthier. Different strokes for different folks. I posted this to talk to people who are the same as me. I don't need no one to pat me on the back, I do that myself after every binge :wink:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I don't 'binge' on weekends. What I do do is eat lower cals during the week and higher on weekends. This isn't uncontrolled or just going hog wild, however, and I think therein lies your problem. It's the mental state of 'binging' on weekends that isn't healthy. There is nothing wrong with working out when to best spend your calories, but I'd try and get away from the binge/restrict mindset that comes through in your post.
  • Protranser
    Options

Sighs. Because you still need a daily minimum in order to get the basic needed nutrition. This is a basic concept.

It's also a classic and planned binge cycle. It's a pretty piss poor idea.

The OP is getting an average of 1400 calories a day when you add the other two days of high calorie intake. In a months worth of time, the OP is still going to be getting their 1400 calories a day. 8 of the 30 days will be high calorie intake, while the other 22 days will be low calorie intake. This almost sounds like intermittent fasting to me. Feel free to correct me, but, my understanding of intermittent fasting is something like: people choose to restrict their calorie intake for one or two days a week, or even for just 8 hours per day or whatever. If you look at their total calorie intake over 30 days, they'll end up getting the same calorie amount as someone who is not intermittent fasting if both sets of people are sticking to their calorie goals.

I guess one could conclude that intermittent fasting is a disordered eating style.
  • Protranser
    Options
    I don't see the binge aspect of this person's eating style. The powerlessness and guilt are probably the most emotionally challenging hurdles of binge eating.

@leahxxoo , Are you feeling like you have no control over your eating when you choose to have high calorie intake days?
  • leahxxoo
    Options
    Protranser, you're right.. there is a difference between a planned weekend caloric surplus and a binge. I'm just used to using that word. I don't actually binge. I would consider a binge to be more eating uncontrollably, until your stomach hurts. I don't do that. I feel no guilt at all
  • Protranser
    Options
    Eh, op, if you're truly concerned about your eating style being unsustainable or unhealthy, talk to a professional for their opinion. I don't think you're doing anything wrong, but others may. If you think they're right, then you can probably change what you're doing. It doesn't sound like you're incapable of flexibility.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Protranser, you're right.. there is a difference between a planned weekend caloric surplus and a binge. I'm just used to using that word. I don't actually binge. I would consider a binge to be more eating uncontrollably, until your stomach hurts. I don't do that. I feel no guilt at all

I find it inconceivable that after eating 1000 cal per day for 6 days you could eat 4000 calories and not have your stomach hurt.

• Protranser
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I find it inconceivable that after eating 1000 cal per day for 6 days you could eat 4000 calories and not have your stomach hurt.

Most people who are overweight/obese have probably had a 4000 calorie day more than once. Perhaps not as easy if you're only eating high volume low calorie foods.