Using HRM & Fitbit

I just got my Fitbit Flex 2 months ago and have been loving it. Before that though I had a Polar HRM to use during workouts Since getting the Fitbit, I decided that it might be better to let Fitbit track everything and I stopped using my HRM. The one time I did use it, when I logged that calorie burn on MFP, it zero'd out whatever calories Fitbit had given me for that day. I'm wondering which is better to do. Do I continue to just let Fitbit track my calories during workouts and not log any workout in MFP separately? Or should I still use my HRM and log that even though Fitbit won't give me any extra calories for whatever activity I get that day? I'm so confused!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Fitbit doesn't zero out your HRM burns. Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), and adjustments are the difference between your Fitbit burn and your MFP activity level (sedentary, lightly active, etc.).

HRMs are only accurate for steady state cardio (like running or biking). Do not log your burns for anything where you start & stop. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time, so other than your HRM burns log exercise in Fitbit—not MFP.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users