Broke my 5k target time - you can too.

Options
I told myself I would try to be able to accomplish 5k in 25 mins by the end of September in order to set myself up for a sub 50 10k in November.
Five months ago, I simply could not do a 5k. Hard to imagine a target time, but it would have exceeded 35 mins. I ran last Monday and aimed for 25 mins. At the starting line, I joined the group 20-25 mins and went to the back so as not to slow others down. There were 5000 runners and once my tranche got going I just wanted to run faster. I got stuck in the middle of crowds, got frustrated on narrow parts etc. I did it in 23.43 but could have taken 50 seconds off that. I am not scrapping the idea of a sub 50 min 10k, and aiming for sub 48.
If I can do it, you can too.

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! Beating any goal time is always an amazing feeling! I know my first 5k finish was a shock to me that I could do so well. I've got an 8k this weekend! Good luck to you!
  • tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Back atcha. Let me know how you got on.
  • JasmijnRF
    JasmijnRF Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Amazing, congrats!
  • tomnev1
    Options
    Thanks. You can do it too.

Brough a buddy out with me on my lunchtime jog today. Pushed him hard. We did 4.5km in 24 mins. He needs to lose about 15kg (about 35lbs). He felt it but we're doing it again on Wednesday.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Great effort. Well done!

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Well done, great time!
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!
  • tomnev1
    Options
    Thanks guys. Going for a 5K on my lunchbreak. Will have a slower buddy with me so anything around 25mins will be awesome.