Protein Powder Differences

Options
I've been using EAS 100% Whey protein powder for about 1.5 years and absolutely loved it. However, I'm trying to focus more on clean eating versus just sticking within my calories.

I'm thinking about taking the splurge on buying some Swiig Protein from Performance Food Centers because I really like the taste of it, despite it being super expensive. It claims to be "clean". Can anyone explain to me what "clean" protein is compared to other brands that advertise 100% whey?

Replies

• 8BitAron
    8BitAron Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I cant answer what "Clean" is, but I can recommend using what I have switched to. Vega One, taste is great and they have 5 different flavors. You can pick up single serving packets to test out, I did at whole foods.

Its 100% plant based so it fits your focus on clean eating, the creator of the product is a plant based athlete.

I add it to my morning smoothies to keep me filled up until lunch time.

Cheers

• Yoga108
    Yoga108 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like Raw Meal, vanilla flavor. They just changed it a bit and I like it even more. I add unsweetened almond milk, peanut butter powder and cinnamon to it. Tastes great and keeps me full for about 3-4 hours.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    How do you define clean eating OP?

• meredithgir199
    meredithgir199 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    @IssackGMOON

My definition of clean is eating whole foods with as few additives as possible. This is a huge transition from what I've been doing so I want to clean up my diet as much as possible and still enjoy what I am eating. :smile:
    I doubt I will ever be one of those individuals who goes completely clean (simply because it doesn't fit in my lifestyle) but I'm trying to focus on being more aware of what I am putting in my body and how it affects me.

Thanks for the suggestion 8BitAron. I didn't know Whole Foods sold single servings. I sure wish they all did!

• BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I've been using EAS 100% Whey protein powder for about 1.5 years and absolutely loved it. However, I'm trying to focus more on clean eating versus just sticking within my calories.

I'm thinking about taking the splurge on buying some Swiig Protein from Performance Food Centers because I really like the taste of it, despite it being super expensive. It claims to be "clean". Can anyone explain to me what "clean" protein is compared to other brands that advertise 100% whey?

The term "clean" when referring to food and/or its products can not be defined as it is subjective. I tend to buy the cheapest kind of protein I can find that doesn't contain a bunch of ingredients I don't recognize. Typically I lean to Muscle Tech from Sams Club or the cheap star stuff from Wal Mart.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    The kind I get at my local health food store has a ton of vitamins and stuff in it. The kind I just got on Amazon does not.
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. good information, thank you all!!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If you're referring to additives such as artificial flavoring, Optimum Nutrition makes a "Natural" version of its Gold Standard whey product that should serve that purpose. NOW also makes a whey isolate that's free of additives.