I'M SICK AND I WANT TO WORK OUT. READ ALL PLEASE.

Options
Okay, so about a week ago I was sick and it was only a sore throat so I did my workouts feeling fine. Now in the past few days the sore throat and stuffy nose has gone away but the cough still lingers. I feel 100% okay except my cough is kinda bad. I can tell it's already one of those coughs that will stay for weeks. I don't cough every second but the moment I do it's a never ending cough fit. I've worked out almost every day except two days since May 28th and I don't want to break the good habit. I did high some running yesterday up hills and around my neighborhood with some walking in between. I HATE doing low-impact exercises. Could anyone help me? I also don't go to the gym.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Only two rest days in three weeks? Could be why you got sick. The body needs rest, especially when you're sick. I understand not wanting to break the habit, but push to hard for too long and you may end up sidelined longer due to injury or a worse illness.

If you're coughing really bad, I'd skip the running or anything cardio that involves breathing hard & irritating your lungs. Walking would be fine, and do some strength work. If you don't have any weights at home, look up online workouts for body weight exercises. You may hate low impact stuff, but it's good for ya, can keep you in the exercise habit while you're getting well, and might be easier on your lungs.

Keep logging food and stay on track there. You can stick with it - life happens, there will be things that throw us off our workout schedules at times, but it's a good lesson in staying disciplined in both knowing when to back off and rest, and how to get back to it when something breaks our routines. Hope you feel better!
  • toughmudderMN
    toughmudderMN Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If you are still coughing I would give it a few days. If I get sidelined by illness I will just rest and stretch. Once I am better I find that i come back stronger than i was before I became sick.

Rest is a good thing. You may want to take rest days more frequently. You body needs time to rebuild/ improve after any work out. If you are not giving it a chance with a rest day, it cannot repair.
  • xclassiqx
    xclassiqx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how your symptoms are progressing from high (stuffy nose and sore throat) to a lower system(cough-respiratory system), I'd take it easy on your body so you can fully recover. Generally as your symptoms progress to lower systems, it gets worse and the duration is longer. Try to take it easy and drink plenty of fluids, eat right, and sleep. Also, 1-2 lower impact days a week could possibly be beneficial depending on the intensity of your regular workouts.
  • highmaintnance
    highmaintnance Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I've had a sinus infection for a week now. That's a whole week with no exercising but it must be done. Your body needs the rest to focus on fighting the sickness. If you're not careful, you'll get pneumonia or a pretty bad case of bronchitis like I've had.

Drink a ton of fluids, take some mucinex and take it easy.