Need Help Developing a Plan

Options
Weight: 175
Height: 5'6"
Sex: Male
Goal: My main goal is to loose my belly fat and thigh fat. Perhaps after that gain some muscle

Injuries or Disorders: I do have Neurofibromatosis, so my physical ability sucks right now. I want to improve it though

Do you smoke: No

History of diet or exercise: Diet is pretty much horrible as it gets. I am trying to make small gradual changes. Switching out Red Bull for Yerba Mate and switching out subway for turkey on whole wheat with homemade cesar dressing. Trying to add fruits. Not sure what to do about veggies. Never had to eat them as a kid bc dad and grandpa didn't and now I am stuck in my ways. Maybe its they way there served or the type, I just cant stand them.

Do you have access to a gym: Yes and honestly I think this is going to be the only place I will be focused enough to exercise

Okay so now that the intro is over I can explain a bit more. At the encouragement of my GF I have decided to start working out and trying to eat better. I went to the ymca gym yesterday and actually it wasn't that bad. I actually enjoyed myself but I have no idea what I am doing. I did 25 minutes on the stationary banana bike, Walked 15 minutes on the track, did twenty reps on the weights that you push on the bars to lift (what is this called?) and Finally I ended with 25 minutes on the treadmill at 3 mph.

So I guess based on all that my question is, what should I be doing to lose the belly and leg fat and how many times a week should I be doing it? I am really at a lose as to what reps what exercises I should be doing. I also do kind of want to grow some muscle. feel Free to ask questions. My goal is to start at going to the gym 3 times a week for 1-1.5 hours. Not sure if this is possible due to working and going to school full time but I think it is a good goal.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Weight: 175
    Height: 5'6"
    Sex: Male

What should I be doing to lose the belly and leg fat and how many times a week should I be doing it?

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn—period. Exercise for fitness; log to lose weight. Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

Where the weight comes off is entirely determined by genetics—you cannot spot reduce. To increase lean body mass ("grow some muscle"), you need to lift weights &/or do bodyweight exercise.

The best advice I ever received was to read the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • BrutalWarPig
    BrutalWarPig Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Okay so as long as I start eating less calories and doing cardio. I should lose some weight?
  • LoveIshie
    LoveIshie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Stick to the caloric intake recommended by MFP. Also, I would talk to the folks at the YMCA for assistance. They probably have a fitness trainer on staff that could councel you and show you some basic weight training exercises. Or if you prefer, just google weight training exercises for beginners. I hope this helps!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Okay so as long as I start eating less calories and doing cardio. I should lose some weight?

If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight.

It's human nature to underestimate your food & overestimate your burns, so it will take some trial & error until you find the "sweet spot" where you're actually eating at a true deficit.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It's a bit of an exercise getting used to logging all your food so after figuring out what your calorie goal for the day will be, start logging in the way you eat now. Some foods will surprise you. Use this knowledge to make better choices.

For vegetables, start with what you are familiar with and work from there. If it's corn and peas, get a bag of frozen corn and a bag of frozen peas. Then add something new every week and google a recipe to go with. Don't overload your refrigerator with fresh greens because they will go bad before you learn to prepare them or like them. So one vegetable at a time, buy fresh often or frozen for just-in-case, and learn.
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    You're getting good advice here and there are some good intro posts (like the guide to sexypants) that you should definitely read. Regarding beginner strength programs, Stronglifts 5x5 is a nice one because you can download the app and there are tons of videos on basic form and it guides you through the progression.

With respect to the vegetables, if you can ignore what it looks like, green smoothies may be a good intro to add some leafy greens without having to taste them (you just taste fruit); you just need a good blender. Carrots are good (your choice raw or cooked) intro veggie since they're on the sweeter side (I like raw dipped in peanut butter). Broccoli and cauliflower you can start with a cheese sauce and then decrease the cheese as you develop a taste for them (or don't).