alternate sugar choices

Options
hello i'm confused. according to mfp food dairy, a tsp of regular granulated white suger has 16 calories and nothing else. i bought some organic coconut palm sugar and it has 16-4-0-0-3-4. why is that? thx

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    What's the other numbers from?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Calories, carbs, protein, fat, sodium, sugar?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Because coconut palm sugar is not the same thing as granulated white sugar.

Coconut palm sugar is not purified to the same degree as granulated white sugar. Like maple sugar.

ETA: that said, if those numbers refer to proteins or fats, and not trace minerals or similar then it's just an incorrect entry
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. Doesn't matter if it's from dates or sugarcane or maple.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This entry says it's just sugar in there. But an organic sugar may have trace elements. Your body likely won't be able to tell the difference.
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If I'm right about what the numbers are, the only difference from sugar (as to those entries) would be the sodium. (The coconut palm sugar has potassium too, though.)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My alternate sugar choice is stevia drops.
  • wayne206
    wayne206 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the good answers. the 16-4-0-0-3-4 was my mfp food dairy numbers. calories,carbs,fat,protein,sodium,and sugar in that order. the potassium is not counted here. sodium was 0 on reg sugar and also coconut on my mfp. 1 tsp ea. also, the sugar listed calories but zeros on the other listing and i thought reg suger should be some number at least. thanks again members
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Switch to stevia, much better.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Bad sugar listing, it sounds like. Regular sugar with 16 calories should have had 4 g carbs and 4 g sugar.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I use a single packet of sweet n' low in my coffee in the morning, and chew xylitol gum after meals. My kids use the xylitol lollipops/mints in the same way. those are my family's alternate sugar choices.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I use a single packet of sweet n' low in my coffee in the morning, and chew xylitol gum after meals. My kids use the xylitol lollipops/mints in the same way. those are my family's alternate sugar choices.

Be aware that sweet n'low still has a lot of carbs. packet of sweet n low is largely dextrose, a corn sugar. I recently looked it up with my mother who makes a very nice tea with it.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I limit it to one packet, so 4 calories per packet would be 1g of carbs... I think. Anyways, it works so nicely in coffee.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I limit it to one packet, so 4 calories per packet would be 1g of carbs... I think. Anyways, it works so nicely in coffee.

It does have a nice taste.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Bad sugar listing, it sounds like. Regular sugar with 16 calories should have had 4 g carbs and 4 g sugar.

Yup.

OP - use this entry:

ad37aab43330161fa5060a8d5315f72d.png