Mediterranean-style diet & satiety on fewer calories

Options
2»

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Whoa guys, please don't get worked up about this! And thank you so much @Gianfranco_R @aggelikik @Need2Exerc1se for all of your answers! Each of you has offered helpful information!

My constraints are really just that the food I eat
    - Is ok for both IBS & lowering cholesterol
    - Addresses hunger currently best satisfied by eating cow meat (will allow me to eat ~1600 without feeling hangry)
    - Is tasty, sure

I thought what I understood of the diet in question might work to help with all the above, since it is close to what's recommended for dietary control of cholesterol - thought of using it as a rough guideline. I do also like actual Mediterranean food when I'm in the area :) As well as other cuisines that apply similar principles. It just doesn't usually get me to 1600, that's all
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    eggs are pretty damned nutritious...not sure why you're not eating eggs. i eat a more Mediterranean inspired diet, and I eat tons of eggs. the cholesterol in eggs does not increase blood serum cholesterol...soon, the RDA for cholesterol will be removed because it's completely meaningless.

basically, I eat a ton of veg and a few servings of fruit per day, lots of legumes and lentils, whole grains (i.e. oats, brown rice, etc) seeds, nuts, avocados, olives and olive oil...lots of fish and salmon and chicken...and I consume eggs daily.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    eggs are pretty damned nutritious...not sure why you're not eating eggs. i eat a more Mediterranean inspired diet, and I eat tons of eggs. the cholesterol in eggs does not increase blood serum cholesterol...soon, the RDA for cholesterol will be removed because it's completely meaningless.

basically, I eat a ton of veg and a few servings of fruit per day, lots of legumes and lentils, whole grains (i.e. oats, brown rice, etc) seeds, nuts, avocados, olives and olive oil...lots of fish and salmon and chicken...and I consume eggs daily.

I know about that research, and I'm going to try this anyway. For most of my life, I didn't eat tons of eggs, and then I did, and now I have cholesterol problems. About one million other explanations for it, obviously, but I'm still trying this in case it works.

(Here's a thing that happened - my mom dropped her total number from 7.35 to 6.85 over a month by consuming 1/2 a cup of olive oil a day [as a beverage, with lemon, which, ew], making no other changes. I am not about to do that [because again ew and I already use a ton of OO] but I will try things that seem to have worked for some. I don't want my medicine cabinet to get any more crowded than it is.)