Exercise = better sleep?

Options
2»

Replies

• angelamary61
    angelamary61 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Exercise or not, I sleep terribly. Have done for so long and it is so frustrating.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Don't work out too late, your body needs time to relax. For sleep: move your computers to a different room than your bedroom, get rid of all those blue and red lights from electronic equipment (and tv, clocks, microwave, phone, etc.), turn of the tv and computers at least an hour before you go to bed, stop caffeine earlier...
  • dinagurl59
    dinagurl59 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi all.. straight forward question.. do you sleep better on the days (nights) you've worked out?
    My insomnia is getting bad. (I have an 8mth old who has me up every cpl hrs during the night, but still, even when I can sleep.. I cant.)
    & those who do sleep better, is that because ur physically exhausted or because its helped clear ur head a bit?

Im only managing to exercise late evenings at the mo & if anything its making it worse because I feel energised after lol.
    Thoughts?

Hi,
    I find that I sleep better after a workout and even better the next night... I have been tracking my sleep with my misfit shine tracker and find that since I have been active I am logging better rest...
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You can workout anytime. If you feel fresh and energized, don't stop your workout routines but would be great if you do exercise in the morning. You will be get into routine after a few days. If you have sleeping issue, you can try some pills like Ambien generic.
    Help me in getting good sleep.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    After reading that back I think iv just answered my own question.. gotta make the effort to exercise in the a.m :/

Good catch. Your later mention of Yoga might be a good idea though.

I usually sleep better after some exercise, but timing is everything. Some stuff just keeps me a little too jacked up to go to sleep any time soon after. I am somewhat by nature a night owl type, and ridding myself of that habit was hard. I went through a period with some anxiety/PTSD issues and that made things worse, but later evening yoga, meditation, and deep breathing exercises helped me getting a better nights sleep.

But experiment and see what works best for you. Some people can go lift weights heavy, clean up, and fall right to sleep.

• Jokersurv
    Jokersurv Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've tried both nights and days and have not seen any improvement in my sleep. They say exercise is supposed to help but I'm not seeing it
  • MogMog_2
    MogMog_2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Sorry to hear a lot of you are sleep deprived night owls too.. but nice to know im not alone ;)
  • sarahsamuels82
    sarahsamuels82 Posts: 51 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Had terrible sleep problems for a double of months this year. After trying quite a few things, I actually put it down to not eating enough.

When your body gets too low on blood sugar, it causes your stress hormones to spike in the middle of the night (and therefore wake you up).

Increased my calories - problem solved!

If that fails, I would also recommend melatonin tablets to get you back into a good pattern. :)
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Had terrible sleep problems for a double of months this year. After trying quite a few things, I actually put it down to not eating enough.

When your body gets too low on blood sugar, it causes your stress hormones to spike in the middle of the night (and therefore wake you up).

Increased my calories - problem solved!

If that fails, I would also recommend melatonin tablets to get you back into a good pattern. :)

In that case, did you feel hungry when you woke up in the middle of the night? Or just waking up for a few seconds and then went back to sleep? I'm trying to figure out what else, except real stress, could also interfere with my sleep & this could be one!

Thanks for sharing! :blush:
  • sarahsamuels82
    sarahsamuels82 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    No I never really felt hungry. I would just wake up and not be able to sleep. Just felt wide awake! It's only really when I read up on it that the penny dropped.

Something to do with the adrenal gland and cortisol.

Do you wake with a racing mind? Or is it just 'oh look I'm awake again' ?