Seniors and those who have problems exercising.

Options
Hi, as you get older, it is a lot harder to not only loose weight but to exercise. This forum is for 55 and older or for people with health problems that prevent heavy exercise. What exercise opportunities are there? Any tips for maintaining a low calorie diet?

Replies

• HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    At 52 with multiple health issues is it definitely possible to exercise.

I am no longer able due to do the amount of cardio based exercise that I once used to but still get in stretching, strength training (with correct exercises and complete focus on form so as not to injury myself.....the programme that I follow has been devised by an exercise physiologist with a background in chronic pain), there is the other options of Yoga, Pilates and probably many more styles that would suit a beginner.

Even before when I was really big and suffering with chronic pain I started with walking and built up my time. Maybe this is an option for you.

Losing weight comes weighing your foods accurately with a digital scale and logging everyday....it really does come down to CI-CO and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the requirements for someone at 45-55 (I'm 52) is not a lot difference in calories so you might just be pleasantly surprised how easy weight loss will be for you.

Exercise is for your health and weight loss isn't dependant upon it.....

You will probably find exercise a whole lot easier as you drop weight too.

Cheers K
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Are you able to walk? Too often people under estimate how effective it can be for exercise. Just walk. Go a little farther or a little faster every day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    A few ideas......

Google Seated or chair workouts: www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7zCDiiTBTk

There are videos for seniors, for back pain, for arthritis, etc

http://www.collagevideo.com/collections/workouts-for-seniors

Tai Chi

Look for yoga for arthritis, back pain.....Peggy Cappy has some of these.

Walking videos are low impact with zero choreography. The beauty of no choreography....you can go slower & not lose your place.

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I am 50 myself

And i teach/coach a group of ladies that do walking/stepping/dancing and pool exercise...the youngest is me, the oldest is 93!!!!!

dont give up! thats for sure
    Eat at a calorie deficit and move the body parts you can move.

Some of my ladies do their exercise sitting some standing.
    Some low impact others higher.

Some walk with walkers and canes...but still they have a lot of fun.

Weight loss starts in the kitchen, moving is for being fitter ( longer)
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I'm 62.
    I started exercising in my 30s and it took a while to build my endurance at that young age and 180 lbs.
    I started just walking about 40 minutes a day.
    Eventually I joined a gym and started going to different classes like step, strength training, spin.
    Today I ride my bike for 2 hours or treadmill or elliptical for 1 hour.
    I also swim and hike and lift every other day.
    I feel really fit and strong.
    I will continue to work out to stay healthy for as many years as my body allows.
    I take no medication and my doctor says I'm in amazing shape for my age.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I am 55 and although I spent my adult life in the gym at around 49-50 I suffered a very traumatic event that lasted about 18m. it deeply effected my health and stamina. I worked my way back..i would get on the treadmill and walk less than 2 mph..and also hold on to the treadmill. I was a mess. I kept at it daily 30-45 min and slowly my stamina was strengthened and I can now walk 3.5-3.8 miles an hour uphill, I started lifting again in May 2014 and now I lift 3-4 times per week and feel very strong again. I still struggle with my health issues but I have come a very long way....push yourself you might just surprise yourself.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    @healthygreek who in God's name flagged this - this system sucks.

Everything in her post is spot on - starting out building on strength and endurance is the way to go no matter your age or physical condition.....

Even with illness you can still have a wonderfully productive life and live it to the full.....may have to tweak here and there but that is the nature of life.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Walk, walk, walk. 15 months ago I couldn't walk up my own steep driveway or walk more than 1/4 mile flat without sitting to rest. I have walked nearly every day since and completed a 10K walking with no stops and a very good pace at that. Glucose has gone down, BP has gone down, HR has gone down. Yesterday I did 2 hours of yard work with no pain for the first time in my LIFE (60 y/o). I think my husband thought an imposter had come in!

I strongly recommend that you get a fitness or other pedometer to help keep you motivated and accountable.

+1 for strength training too. I can't say enough good about it. You CAN make progress and turn things around more than you think is ever possible.

Feel free to add me.

67388953.png
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    btw i dont find it hard at all

95069916.png
  • healthygreek
    Options
    @healthygreek who in God's name flagged this - this system sucks.

Everything in her post is spot on - starting out building on strength and endurance is the way to go no matter your age or physical condition.....

Even with illness you can still have a wonderfully productive life and live it to the full.....may have to tweak here and there but that is the nature of life.

I have no idea why someone flagged me.
    I guess they found my hard work and success somehow threatening?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Jyc1,
    Although you have made this an open discussion for all us who are post 55, I am wondering if there is any information you are specifically looking for?

You have mentioned maintaining a low cal diet. Some background information would really help. I maintain on low cals, but then I am small and older than you, so don't know if I can help.

Exercise, do you have any restrictions on your movements? If we know what they are, we can give you appropriate help. Me saying I was weak as a kitten, hadn't exercised since I was 15, but started with aqua fit at 55, may be completely not what you need to know.

Are you just open to anecdotal stories, or are you wanting specific infirmation?
    I can do both, enough for you to fall asleep.

Cheers, h.

eta: healthygreek, you were flagged because you are an inspiration.
  • healthygreek
    Options
    Jyc1,
    Although you have made this an open discussion for all us who are post 55, I am wondering if there is any information you are specifically looking for?

You have mentioned maintaining a low cal diet. Some background information would really help. I maintain on low cals, but then I am small and older than you, so don't know if I can help.

Exercise, do you have any restrictions on your movements? If we know what they are, we can give you appropriate help. Me saying I was weak as a kitten, hadn't exercised since I was 15, but started with aqua fit at 55, may be completely not what you need to know.

Are you just open to anecdotal stories, or are you wanting specific infirmation?
    I can do both, enough for you to fall asleep.

Cheers, h.

eta: healthygreek, you were flagged because you are an inspiration.

Lol! Thanks H!
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm 62.
    I started exercising in my 30s and it took a while to build my endurance at that young age and 180 lbs.
    I started just walking about 40 minutes a day.
    Eventually I joined a gym and started going to different classes like step, strength training, spin.
    Today I ride my bike for 2 hours or treadmill or elliptical for 1 hour.
    I also swim and hike and lift every other day.
    I feel really fit and strong.
    I will continue to work out to stay healthy for as many years as my body allows.
    I take no medication and my doctor says I'm in amazing shape for my age.

• coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My mum diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at age 40. She lost weight, went to the gym and walked. She was the only 80 year old at the gym. She would have died much sooner if she didn't exercise. Try aquajog or similar if u have pain in joints.