150 lbs to lose, depressed and not sure how to begin! Any help appreciated!

Options
13»

Replies

• bigghoss63
    bigghoss63 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When we get started, and get a rythem going, an injury can make us stop cold, but you can always work the uni jure parts of your body. You can always do armchair exercises with weights, bands, or just your body weight. You can do exercises that don't require any walking , jogging, or jumping, and you can still work up a good lather. But most of us let that injury stop our momentum. Sooooo, work the parts that are not hurt until you are completely healthy!
  • patwojy
    patwojy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    There is so much great advice here, that I want to be able to read this over and over. Thank you, all!
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the party,

I'm glad you are here. With all of us.

I have found that logging what I ate was as much a self discovery exercise as it was a tool to help me change my life. I have been here for 60 days and can see changes daily.

Keep It simple. Start by finding out where you are. Log every bite, before you bite ask your self "am I really hungry or is it something else that is causing me to eat this" The first two weeks, I don't know how many times I picked something up to put it into my mouth without thinking, and had to remind myself that I had to log it before I ate it. Often that was enough for me to realize that I really did not even want whatever I was putting in my mouth.

Do any activity that you can. You don't have to do all your exercises at one time. Spread your exercises thought the day. A few minutes here and there can add up to more that you think.

Best wishes

• paulhoward2868
    paulhoward2868 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 311 lbs I have lost 18 pounds so far this site is such an inspiration to us all you made the first choice to make a change I want you to know we are all here for you we are all here for the same reason poor choices let's make all the right ones together and share our journey keep your head up I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers if you ever wanna talk add me I'd be glad to talk any time
  • davisjenn
    davisjenn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    davisjenn wrote: »
    This has been the hardest thing for me to overcome and every single day is a struggle. However you can overcome it, I have lost 33 pound and 22 inches. I was at my all time high almost reaching 400 pounds, something had to change, I turned to this app and a membership to a local gym. I love the support I get from the members in here, I have never has anyone say anything negative or nasty, in fact when I have a bad day and I post about it I get nothing but encouragement from the friends I've made in here. You can *kitten* me if you would like another friend :-) you got this!
    I don't know what my phone auto corrected to make the stars appear lol something bad I'm sure lol ... anyways I meant add
  • Asherberry
    Asherberry Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I just want to give you some encouragement. You can do this, take it one day at a time. You are in a great community of wonderful people who are here for you!
  • melissaschleier
    melissaschleier Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started in the same boat. I had the surgery (lapband) and hated it. I still have it, but I made them deflate it when I got pregnant with my daughter. And then I put all the weight back on. Best thing I have found is group encouragement. And I've had online friends help with personal accountability. It's a rough start, but I'm making progress. I know have a son too. I've come down from just over 300 to 265. I still have 100 to loose. We can do this!
  • emmagrace0818
    emmagrace0818 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    @lodojo I also gained a good amount of weight bc of depression.. Try to stay positive and dedicated.. Add me if you'd like and I'd be glad to help motivate you while I go through my journey as well
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Azurite27 wrote: »
    Just start logging what you're eating and then gradually reduce your calories until you start losing. Or pick a reasonable weight loss goal (at your stats you could start with 2lbs a week if you wish) and see how it works. Make sure to eat back exercise calories, though most estimates are high so start eating back maybe 50%. Don't make too many drastic changes. Get in the habit of logging and staying under your calories and then gradually working on eating healthier or watching your macros and other nutrients if you wish. Focus on making changes you can live with forever, there's no point giving something up if you're planning to go back to it once you hit goal. Just learn to fit it in in moderation as you lose.

You can add me if you like. I lost 140lbs and have successfully kept it off for a little over a year now.

I've been wondering about that and after logging my food & exercise here for a few days (I'm new here) I wholeheartedly agree with your 50% figure as I feel that MFP estimates for my exercise (i.e. walking) are about double what I think they should be.

...congrats on the weight loss & keeping it off for a year! I'm hoping I can be as successful as you have been as I have about as much to lose (145 lbs--from 300 down to 155) as you did.
  • Saeraphine
    Saeraphine Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    beewize2 wrote: »
    Celebrate each victory whether it's on the scale or a NSV (non-scale victory). I would set small achievable goals. Instead of looking at the total you want to break it down into increments and celebrate each milestone. My goals are set at bronze, silver, and gold.

Yes, this. So much this! You have to stay positive to keep pushing through to the next goal!
  • ShashayLee
    ShashayLee Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    i love these kind of threads, so inspirational :) & yes it can be done! I never thought i'd be this far along my journey but i'm really happy to have lost 53 pounds with 60 some odd to go. the first step along the journey is hard but keep going. it is not easy & i struggle at time with temptation & over eating but so far so good i'm winning
  • LAgaby93
    LAgaby93 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello there :) you have all of my support and I very much believe that you can and will achieve what it is you want accomplish. Like everyone has said you may struggle a bit cause I know I did when he first went through my journey last year. Mind over matter was the saying I held in my heart. Just take it a day at a time and you will see progress. "Little by little, A little becomes alot." Good luck and keep your head up :)
  • kimjaydot
    kimjaydot Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you do get better, you need to try to walk 1 mile or at least 3 miles a day. Walking is easy and requires no effort. If you do that everyday along with diet, you will lose weight.
  • mickmgd
    mickmgd Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am currently 40lb down with around 25lb to go. I have found that logging planned food for the day first thing in the morning lets me know exactly how many spare calories I have for snacks and treats. I try to decide what my meals will be for the week and buy whatever produce I need in one go. By doing this it ensures I stick to eating just what I had planned to and do not have food in the house that could be binged on. I avoid processed or ready meals as there is so much hidden sugar. I also exercise every day. When I started just 2 or 3 minutes was tough but I committed to pushing myself and 5 mile walks are now a daily activity. You must just believe! Add friends who support, and delete those that are negative or criticise. Whatever your goal, it starts with losing the first pound. Good luck to you!
  • sistermargret
    sistermargret Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    Awesome job @lorrpb !! I haven't lost as much as you, about 26 lbs, but I am getting the hang of all this at day 136 of logging in this site. This is a great site @lodojo , just take steps you know you can accomplish every day. When I first started I just logged everything...tried to drink 8 glasses of liquid a day, and moved my body doing something everyday. Look at each day as a victory, not the long journey you shall go on. Look at this as just a tool to help you.
    write out goals you wish to accomplish this month. Ones that you can achieve realistically. Currently my goals for Sept are:
    -logging in 1100 to 1200 calories a day.
    -drinking 88 to 94 oz of liquids a day
    -have fun with the chopping, the preparation of my foods. That is what will change my eating habits.
    -go to sleep at 9 to 10pm nightly, and at the same time as my husband does.
    -hug daily
    -remember that losing weight isn't the key to happiness. That happiness is the key to losing weight. Enjoy the process of re-inventing YOU.

• sistermargret
    sistermargret Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I know how painful fibro is. I have it too. I have the motorized wheelchair to remind me. I was 295 and could not walk down the driveway. I walked 1.9 miles yesterday and am now 240. You can do it. Work with your Rhumatalogoist. If you don't have one, get one. Go on disability and Medicaid will help pay your expenses. Xeljans and methotrexate have done miracles for me, but an MD won't give it to you.

Find what works for you.
  • marz516
    marz516 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey there, you have all the support in the world! If you ever need anything, I can be a shoulder to lean on! I'm also trying to lose around 150 pounds and I know its not easy. We can do it together!
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You can do this, you came to the right place.
  • zookeeper4kids
    zookeeper4kids Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Welcome. I don't think any of us know how we let our weight get away from us. There is hope and I am living proof. 15 months ago I was 301 and could not walk up my own driveway. I was borderline diabetic, borderline high BP, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, and more. At age 59, I was convinced that it was impossible for my body to lose weight. I began working with a personal trainer who told me about this site. As of this week, I've lost 105 pounds with about 45 left to go. My original fitness goal was to walk 1 mile without stopping within one year. I had accomplished that within a couple of months. In the past year, I've walked 3 5K events and one 10K, each with better times (pace) and no stopping (except the very first event).

Read everything on this site, especially the sticky notes at the top of each forum that explain how to use the site and how to log your food. Start by logging your food per the suggestions here. Gradually make changes, focusing on the ones you can sustain long term. Read the Success Stories forum. Lots of good ones. Lots of people have lost A LOT of weight, even more than 150 pounds.

Then start moving. Whatever you can do. Some people will tell you that you don't need to exercise to lose weight, but it will help, and you do need to exercise for the sake of your fitness and health. Just start where you can, no matter how little it is, and progress from there. Look for low impact, low weight bearing exercises such as anything in the pool, or an elliptical machine or treadmill, chair exercises while sitting, and so on.

Add me as a friend if you like - just click on my name and "Add Friend".

67388953.png