Would you put your work in your diary?

Options
KainHighwind
KainHighwind Posts: 9 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Stupid Question.

I am a cook and I am on my feet and walking for 7-8 hours a day. According to the below website I burn 152 cals per hour.
Would you out work in your diary or not?

https://www.fitday.com/webfit/burned/calories_burned_Cooking_or_food_preparation_standing_or_sitting_or_in_general_not_broken_into_stand_walk_components_.html

Replies

• Vampkat2015
    Vampkat2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I never did, but I would quietly say to myself "bonus exercise" :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    No, this is part of your activity level and already accounted for.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Your work is usually counted by your MFP Activity Level, so you don't need to enter it separately.

http://walking.about.com/cs/measure/a/locke122004.htm

1) Under 5000 steps/day may be used as a "sedentary lifestyle index"
    2) 5,000-7,499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered "low active." The average American walks 5900 to 6900 steps per day, so the majority are "low active."
    3) 7,500-9,999 steps/day likely includes some exercise or walking (and/or a job that requires more walking) and might be considered "somewhat active."
    4) 10,000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as "active".
    5) Individuals who take more than 12,500 steps/day are likely to be classified as "highly active".

The exception to this is if you do a markedly different amount of steps on some days. Then you might use an activity tracker/pedometer linked to MFP and set your MFP activity level to sedentary.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    What did you set your activity level to?
  • KainHighwind
    KainHighwind Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replys.
    I set my activity level to ightlt active.
    Though i used a pedometer at work before and i had somewhere under 11000 steps.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I used to, when I wasn't exactly hoover with myself. But then I realised that if I gained weight while working, I can't really count work as exercise. I'm a personal carer. I average about 14000 steps a shift.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm also a cook and I can work anywhere between 5-10 hours depending on my shifts. My activity level is set to sedentary at the moment as I can't always guarantee I'll be rushing around the kitchen the entire time, I'm sure you'll understand that some shifts are spent jogging around the kitchen the entire time and other slower days are spent pretty much ambling along or stood still completely. I've also set it as sedentary as I'm not very active outside of shifts.

I am a little more lenient with logging or going over calories during days that I work longer or busier shifts, and a few long shifts which have been particularly busy I've allowed myself a few hundred extra calories (eg a very busy summer season 7 hour shift I gave myself 300 extra).

Sometimes I'll eat more if I've had a busy shift, sometimes I won't because I'm just not hungry. I tend to go on a day by day basis :)
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    No, this is part of your activity level and already accounted for.

This.
  • Losinandmovin
    Losinandmovin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Your work is usually counted by your MFP Activity Level, so you don't need to enter it separately.

2) 5,000-7,499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered "low active." The average American walks 5900 to 6900 steps per day, so the majority are "low active."
    3) 7,500-9,999 steps/day likely includes some exercise or walking (and/or a job that requires more walking) and might be considered "somewhat active."
    4) 10,000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as "active".
    5) Individuals who take more than 12,500 steps/day are likely to be classified as "highly active".

The exception to this is if you do a markedly different amount of steps on some days. Then you might use an activity tracker/pedometer linked to MFP and set your MFP activity level to sedentary.

This is tremendously helpful. ✌
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I average 14000+ steps a day on a work day and use a Fitbit to determine what I actually need to eat. MFP set to lightly active to balance out my days off where often don 't do a whole lot. When I worked as a line cook I would say I didn't average quite so many steps but as someone mentioned some days you stand around twiddling your thumbs and other days you are in the weeds for hours and hours. An activity tracker would probably be really helpful for someone in your line of work, since every day can be very different.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    no its part of your daily activity level.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Orphia usually is. ;)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Orphia usually is. ;)

Aww, thank you both very much @Losinandmovin and @mccindy72 <3
  • BrianaDuBois
    BrianaDuBois Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replys.
    I set my activity level to ightlt active.
    Though i used a pedometer at work before and i had somewhere under 11000 steps.

This is exactly what I do. I have a job where I'm most always spending 12-18 hours on my feet walking, squatting, running, etc but I set myself at lightly active as well. After those shifts I might go home and sleep for a solid 10 hours and laze around the next day. As long as it balances out, I see no issues. If you start losing too fast or are having trouble maintaining the deficit, perhaps take another look at your activity level.