Insomniacs Unite!

Options
KatieMcCakes
KatieMcCakes Posts: 294 Member
Any fellow insomniacs out there? Anyone with a success story? Tips and tricks to share?

Replies

• YAHWEH56
    YAHWEH56 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Yeah here unfortunately
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I was too tired to find this and participate.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I'll have to check this thread the next time I'm awake instead of staring at the ceiling...
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I sleep 5 - 6 hours a night when I'm lucky, but most nights it's less, and at least 2 nights a week I don't sleep at all.
  • JSurita3
    JSurita3 Posts: 10,188 Member
    Options
    I sleep 5 - 6 hours a night when I'm lucky, but most nights it's less, and at least 2 nights a week I don't sleep at all.

5-6 hours a night is actually decent sleep. I'm jealous.
  • Fit4LifeGal79
    Fit4LifeGal79 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    this is me..
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am lucky if i get 5-6 hours and rarely ever do i sleep thru the night. I wake up anywhere from 1-3 times . And automatically am up for the day by 4am like it or not. I tried melatonin last night for the first time and it made me feel loopy and weird ( and still woke 3 times) so i dont think i will be trying that again.
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    Options
    My FitBit hates me for rarely ever getting the recommended 7 hours. And if/when I do (only on the weekends) I'm restless at least 30 times per night. I average about 4 hours a night. :(
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I'm not an insomniac, but I read yesterday that British composer Max Richter has debuted a special 8-hour classical piece that's full of slow, soothing rhythm. It's now on my bucket list to check that out some night, as soon as it's available for a reasonable price or demonstration in full in America.
  • fitcurves6693
    fitcurves6693 Posts: 3,401 Member
    Options
    Netflix-lots of Netflix
  • amazonterry
    amazonterry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am here. The sandman apparently forgot about me tonight.
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    Stare intently at a static object. Does your vision start to blur around the edges?
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I have read and heard so many ideas for a better night's sleep:
    1. Turn of electronics or keep in another room
    2. Have a bedtime routine and maintain it
    3. Go to bed at the same time every night
    4. No computer use or social media before bed
    5. Eliminate coffee drinking after 3PM
    6. Drink various drinks that promote sleep
    7. Keep your bedroom cool
    8. Use a pillow or wedge cushion to lift your head a few inches higher than your body
    9. Exercise during the day, but not right before bed
    10. Don't take naps
    11. Melatonin

Most of those I follow already anyway, but I have no problem getting to sleep. I just cannot stay asleep. I wake up at 2AM, 3AM, or 4AM. I often will be awake for hours. Often just about the time I fall back asleep it is close to time for me to get up for the day. If I do fall asleep before that, I will sleep for a short time and wake up again before it is time to get up.

I do end up sleeping during the day because I am so tired I will fall asleep when I sit down to do things, especially reading or using the computer.

I will keep reading here just in case someone has some good ideas that might work for me. But I am thinking that mostly people who have the problem will be looking for answers like the rest of us posting here.
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options
    You should watch A Fantastic Fear of Everything. It's on Netflix.
  • TenaciousTurtle44
    Options
    No sleep....but after several years it just becomes a part of life.
  • cdmanney
    cdmanney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    GreenValli wrote: »
    I have read and heard so many ideas for a better night's sleep:
    1. Turn of electronics or keep in another room
    2. Have a bedtime routine and maintain it
    3. Go to bed at the same time every night
    4. No computer use or social media before bed
    5. Eliminate coffee drinking after 3PM
    6. Drink various drinks that promote sleep
    7. Keep your bedroom cool
    8. Use a pillow or wedge cushion to lift your head a few inches higher than your body
    9. Exercise during the day, but not right before bed
    10. Don't take naps
    11. Melatonin

Most of those I follow already anyway, but I have no problem getting to sleep. I just cannot stay asleep. I wake up at 2AM, 3AM, or 4AM. I often will be awake for hours. Often just about the time I fall back asleep it is close to time for me to get up for the day. If I do fall asleep before that, I will sleep for a short time and wake up again before it is time to get up.

I do end up sleeping during the day because I am so tired I will fall asleep when I sit down to do things, especially reading or using the computer.

I will keep reading here just in case someone has some good ideas that might work for me. But I am thinking that mostly people who have the problem will be looking for answers like the rest of us posting here.

I have that same, exact issue. Of course sleep aids aren't designed for our "sleep maintenance" insomnia. I hope someone has some good advice because I typically only get 3-5 hours of sleep a night (maybe 6 on the weekends...).
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    I'm not an insomniac, but I read yesterday that British composer Max Richter has debuted a special 8-hour classical piece that's full of slow, soothing rhythm. It's now on my bucket list to check that out some night, as soon as it's available for a reasonable price or demonstration in full in America.
    BUMP