Ladies only! Working out with painful periods

Options
So I'm not sure if some of you have seen my other thread in another board about Aunt Flo issues, but just to give you some background, I've dealt with irregular cycles in the last 4 years. It boils down to some kind of hormone imbalance where my body won't make enough progesterone to ovulate and menstruate every month. The last two months since starting exercise, I hadn't had a period until last night. So now I have to deal with pain while working out.

For the last two nights in a row, I was dealing with horrible cramps that were made worse with working out. Last night was probably the worse out of the two. I almost stopped because the pain was so bad! As soon as I got home and took a shower, I curled up on the bed in a ball of pain! I didn't end up going tonight because I just felt drained and I soaked through a tampon to where it stained my panties and shorts. (Sorry for the tmi.)

I just ordered a menstrual cup and I'm gonna see if that acts as a good alternative to tampons, but I have to ask. Does anyone have any tips for reducing or getting rid of menstrual pain while working out and getting a good burn in?

Replies

• dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I find exercise always reduces the pain. Try to work through the pain doing exercise it always helps, cut down on sodium as well. You may find primrose tablets help too. Failing that a double vodka might do the trick !!
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are having such bad pain. Have you tried pain killers.. If over the counter doesn't work a dr can prescribe stronger ibuprofen or something similar. I personally can't get through menstrual cramps without taking something.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    My period (and ovulation) pain has changed and increased since I've had kids, so I can sympathise with the struggle. Sometimes exercise is the absolute best pain killer, sometimes it just doesn't work or the pain is too intense and I have to stop. It really is a matter of trying to work past the pain, and if you can, the exercise hormones can give some wonderful relief. But don't be too hard on yourself if you can't sometimes. I made it to the shoulder track during pump on Saturday, and then ended up crouched on the floor trying not to cry in front of everyone. 'Twas somewhat embarrassing!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    It's going to depend on how bad it is for you. Mine are pretty bad.
    Does anyone have any tips for reducing or getting rid of menstrual pain
    Yes - heavy doses of prescription NSAIDs and not doing anything except lying there letting my uterus do whatever it needs to do
    reducing or getting rid of menstrual pain while working out and getting a good burn in?

Nope
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Mine are pretty bad. For me, it's not so much about the burn as it is about keeping my routine. If I start making excuses not to workout, it gets easy to keep skipping workouts. So I almost never do a regular workout, but I try to do something. A walk, or some yoga. I make myself put on workout clothes, and do something for 10 minutes. My deal with myself is if after 10 minutes I want to stop, I can. Usually, but the time I have bothered to change clothes, and get started, doing another 20 minutes is doable.

And afterward is miserable. It feels like they hit me double after activity.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    ** although, taking 200 mg ibuprofen (not aspirin, not acetaminophen - ibuprofen, like advil) every 4 hours for 2-3 days before your period starts can help reduce pain bc it decreases prostaglandin activity. if you track your period with an app, you can work out the timing.

this helps things hurt less for me than when i forget to do that, and am woken up in the middle of the night by surprise uterus violence. not enough less to try to work out.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I only get bad cramps once in a while, but when I do exercise usually helps. So does ibuprofen. It has to be ibuprofen. That works much better than anything else for me.

Btw, I got a menstrual cup a couple of years ago...I highly recommend it.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Cardio in general helps in my experience. And painkillers, regardless of exercising. What works for me is ponstan (mefenamic acid).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How many days do your extreme cramps last? If it is only a couple, why not take rest days? Mine are not bad enough now that I can't exercise but when I was younger, they were awful. I can sympathize with you on that and really think that a couple of rest days would be fine.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I normally take a couple of Ibruprofen even before the cramps start.
    As soon as i see the first traces, i pop a couple of painkillers.
    Funnily enough, sometimes my best workouts are at that time of the month!
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend you speak to your doctor as there are medications and birth control methods that can help you. If you can reduce the loss and the pain you will find it easier to keep moving :smile:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I find yoga with a lot of twists and no inversions helps. I'm not sure why but it feels better after. running sucks when i have my period.
    ibuprofen helps but the idea is you want an anti-inflammatory. you could ask your dr for help. I do find advil acts as a blood thinner and increases my flow.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    When I was on birth control I had no menstrual cramps at all which was great but I felt like birth control changed my body for the worse and made me gain weight so I quit. But some don't have any negative side effects. Might be worth trying if your pain is intolerable.
  • IronBatMaiden
    IronBatMaiden Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    How many days do your extreme cramps last? If it is only a couple, why not take rest days? Mine are not bad enough now that I can't exercise but when I was younger, they were awful. I can sympathize with you on that and really think that a couple of rest days would be fine.

The premenstrual cramps last for about a week, but 2-3 days before and the first day are usually horrible!! I feel like I 'm getting stabbed in my vag! I took one rest night last night but I might be up for it again tonight since the pain has lessened (the flow, not so much).
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    I would definitely recommend you speak to your doctor as there are medications and birth control methods that can help you. If you can reduce the loss and the pain you will find it easier to keep moving :smile:

I'm seriously considering getting the Mirena IUD to lessen if not stop the flow. At first, I hated having irregular cycles, but once it hits me, I almost miss not having it around!
  • IronBatMaiden
    Options
    When I was on birth control I had no menstrual cramps at all which was great but I felt like birth control changed my body for the worse and made me gain weight so I quit. But some don't have any negative side effects. Might be worth trying if your pain is intolerable.

Yeah that's one of the reasons why I won't go on the pill but I am gonna get an iud as an alternative.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I used to have painful periods before I started working out regularly. Now, I don't get as bothered by cramps. If I do, I take some advil and get to work! I always feel better afterwards.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    People who haven't had absolutely horrible periods have it in their heads that a little bit of exercise will make the cramps go away. Not the case for those of us who have at least two days of feeling like someone set our uterus on fire, stomped all over it, ran it through a mincer and then shoved it back in. Plus your back and the back of yuor legs feel like they do when you are running a high fever. Really bad periods don't only affect your uterus, either, they can cause digestive and bowel issues. I've had surgery for endometriosis, so it's better than it used to be. But running during the first two days of my period is totally impossible.

Take it easy the first two days. There is nothing wrong with taking a couple of days a month off while you have your period.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'd go for the yoga and skip the cardio. I want my muscles relaxed not in spasms.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Exercise used to make it better but since around age 38 the pain, and so many other symptoms, during both my period and ovulation have increased to where I just take a couple rest days if I need to. I manage my calories through eating only so exercising or not won't change my goals.