Help and advice needed

Options
Breakfast: 3 weetbix and milk or cooked eggs
Lunch: Ham and salad sandwich or cooked chicken, boiled egg or spinach and pumpkin salad.
Dinner: Meat usually chicken, pork or beef with all types of veges. Staying away from sauces. If there is a sauce (curry etc) it's homemade from dried spices.
Snacks: Almonds cranberries and sultanas. Banana. Apple.

My recommended calorie intake is 1200 per day which is fine my doctor also recommend this number a year ago and I have found it easy to stick to. Have cut out all soft drink and sugary/processed snacks.

Main problem is creating a calorie deficit. I am 190 pounds want to get to below 145. I have been doing a Julian Michaels shred workout every second day. I walk everyday usually wearing a 7 kg infant for up to 2 hours. Plus the general day to day housework and running around after 4 children etc.

Want to know what changes I can make and best advice to create a deficit to get this weight moving. Working so hard and it's really disheartening when nothing seems to be having an affect.

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    If you really were eating at 1200 calories you would be in a calorie deficient. Are you weighing your food?

Btw, it's not what you eat it's how much...
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    If you consume 1200 calories a day you will be creating a deficit.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food on a digital scale? It's easy to eat more calories than you think you are.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    The whole of point weight loss is that you're eating in a caloric deficit. 1200 is definitely a caloric deficit for someone of your size.

You don't understand weight loss. Read the stickies.

You need to be eating your exercise calories back otherwise you'll be netting relatively low calories which isn't good for your health.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    You are eating at a deficit as per MFP and working out. Give it 2 weeks to see what happens then recalibrate.
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I am also on 1200 calories a day, and it could be that you are eating more than that. You need to be weighing your food to have any idea how much you are eating
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    As others have said already, its not what you eat but how much....
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The foods you listed don't look like you are staying near 1200 calories. It looks closer to 1800 or 2000 to me.
  • Vividnat
    Vividnat Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been weighing my food with digital scales. I am usually anywhere between 1000 - 1300 a day more often than not I am under the 1200.

It was my understanding that you had to burn more than your intake otherwise you are onlymaintaining weight rather than losing. I am only new to the calorie counting so if it have it wrong please let me know. Last year before I got pregnant I just ate what the doctor told me to eat I didn't have any idea how to keep track etc.
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You do need to burn more than your intake. But that doesn't mean you have to burn over 1200 in exercise. Your body burns calories to keep itself alive- it just happens naturally throughout the day. You can add exercise but don't have to. Your 1200 number is likely less than what your body burns naturally throughout the day. So if you eat 1200 you are eating less than you burn.

ETA: don't eat less than 1200. It's not healthy. You need to fuel your body. If you're weighing your food and you know exactly how much you're eating, you'll see results. But it's not instant. How long have you been at this?
  • Vividnat
    Vividnat Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    jdleanna wrote: »
    You do need to burn more than your intake. But that doesn't mean you have to burn over 1200 in exercise. Your body burns calories to keep itself alive- it just happens naturally throughout the day. You can add exercise but don't have to. Your 1200 number is likely less than what your body burns naturally throughout the day. So if you eat 1200 you are eating less than you burn.

ETA: don't eat less than 1200. It's not healthy. You need to fuel your body. If you're weighing your food and you know exactly how much you're eating, you'll see results. But it's not instant. How long have you been at this?

Thank you I get it now, will definitely stick to the 1200 :) 2 weeks so far. I know it takes time just impatient to see some results figured I must be doing it wrong/ not enough exercise. Will keep at it
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Just 2 weeks? Don't worry then! Just keep going. :)