Does Chobani Apple Cinnamon Greek Yogurt with Oats taste sour?

Options
Or did I get one past it's prime?

60 year old American male here trying the above, or any yogurt, for the first time. Do they all have a sout taste? Not saying it was terrible, just sour. Is this right?

Do you all like the taste;
put up with it because it's good for you, or;
do something to change/modify the flavor?

Did I pick a "wrong" brand?

Any kind help in this regard would be appreicated. Thanks

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt has a stronger taste in general. I suppose you could say sour. I would say it's no better/worse than any other yogurt for you, so if you don't like it, don't eat it. :) I like Greek yogurt, so I eat it.

Regular yogurt is milder and usually sweeter but that's only because of the added sugar. You could always add some sweetener to it to make it more to your liking.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yogurts are generally sour, especially the ones with lower calories. I prefer Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurts with the fruit on the bottom (blueberry, strawberry, peach, cherry- yum!). 80 calories and I like the texture of Greek yogurt since it is thicker.

Give it a chance... it can grow on you. Congrats for trying something new!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is sour, that's why many people use it as a sub for sour cream.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Chobani is tame. And yes that's how it's supposed to taste.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Yes ...that's how it tastes. I actually like the tartness of the yogurt. My bf prefers Danon greek fit at 80 cals. The tartness isn't there
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yoplait greek 100s are less tart, and the whips taste more like mousse
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    All Greek yogurt tastes sour to me. Can't eat it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yoplait whips are not sour at all and are delicious.
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I used it in beef strogonoff last night for the grand-kids and kids. I thought it was terrible. The yogurt separated when reheated and looked terrible. But they reckoned it was the best i had ever made and they are sour cream nuts!
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Do you all like the taste;
    NOoooo, fruits in them looked weird/spoiled looking & tasted yuck.

put up with it because it's good for you, or;
    NOoooo, i gave them to hubby to try & they all ended up down the drain!

do something to change/modify the flavor?
    no but, the 100 calorie ones are not too bad, the stevia is overpowering in them to me but, adding some fresh fruits to it, made it decent. i however will never buy any of the chobani greek yogurts again. will be trying fage next, told they are much better tasting, although i think i may just be one who does not like greek yogurt, other brands i tried in past were not to my liking either.
    if you like the consistency and overall taste of these chobani and it is just the sourness that bothers you, you could always add a drop or two of ez-sweet or another liquid sweetner (i prefer ezsweet, it has no aftertaste)
  • sthoms2
    sthoms2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It doesn't taste sour to me but I think regular yogurt tastes sickingly sweet. I can eat unsweetened yogurt without any problems. You get used to not having all the sugar.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    sthoms2 wrote: »
    It doesn't taste sour to me but I think regular yogurt tastes sickingly sweet. I can eat unsweetened yogurt without any problems. You get used to not having all the sugar.

Ditto. I had a yoplait whip once. It was sickly sweet and vile.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I used it in beef strogonoff last night for the grand-kids and kids. I thought it was terrible. The yogurt separated when reheated and looked terrible. But they reckoned it was the best i had ever made and they are sour cream nuts!

I made the EXACT same 'mistake' last week using a Canadian brand. My husband was grossed out, I was offended. Bad scene :(

Edit to add: maybe not a mistake if the kids loved it. lol
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's the so-called 'tang.' Chobani is very tangy/sour, and I don't like it. Fage and Kirkland Signature are much more mild and not very tangy/sour at all.

If you don't like that tang/sour in Chobani, I'd also advise to stay away from WalMart's Great Value brand of Greek yogurt.

I'd also advise you buy plain Greek yogurt and add your own mix ins. Chobani's mixins I've tried weren't great.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, if you don't like the tanginess of yogurt, I wonder if you might like the yogurt products made from soy, almond, or coconut milk.

To me, the texture is fine, but they are totally flat - no tang at all. I was very disappointed because I like the tang, but you might find the flavor more to your liking if regular yogurt is sour for you.