Bench Press (Trying to increase weight)

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    I've used an isometric technique with clients that has seemed to help, but you need either a power rack or Smith machine.
    Set the pins or bar about "half way" of your arm extension when you bench. Now load it with weight that you for sure can't push, then get in and push up as hard as you can holding it for 10 seconds for a few sets.
    Most results I get with clients is a a 5lb bench increase.
    I learned this technique from a powerlifter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I've used an isometric technique with clients that has seemed to help, but you need either a power rack or Smith machine.
    Set the pins or bar about "half way" of your arm extension when you bench. Now load it with weight that you for sure can't push, then get in and push up as hard as you can holding it for 10 seconds for a few sets.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Ah, good old rack presses. They have helped me get over plateaus.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Niner is describing an isometric hold. Haven't personally done them for bench, but they are brutally effective for deads when held just below your sticking point, and I'm sure they would help on bench as well.

Love me some pin press! Hoping I get some next training cycle. It's been a while and I miss it. Especially when I'm above my sticking point and can press a supermax load.
  • piperdown44
    edited September 2015
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Niner is describing an isometric hold. Haven't personally done them for bench, but they are brutally effective for deads when held just below your sticking point, and I'm sure they would help on bench as well.

Love me some pin press! Hoping I get some next training cycle. It's been a while and I miss it. Especially when I'm above my sticking point and can press a supermax load.

Ah, was thinking rack presses. But pushing against a heavy weight you can't move as hard as you can for 10 seconds sounds like it would definitely recruit max muscle fibers. Actually, now that I think about it I do something similar with squats. Set the bars high, load up the bar and drive up as hard as I can. Depending on the weight it may even wobble a little bit lol

• tank1539
    tank1539 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    How close is your grip? Are you so close that it's mostly triceps and you're not engaging your pecs enough? What other pec exercises are you doing? Try moving from the bar and use Dumbbells for a few weeks. You can also do your sets on the bench but after every set do push-ups or knee push-ups till failure. Also, you should only be giving yourself about 90 sec inbetween sets that puts you around 70% recovery (ideal to make your body recruit different muscle tissue) at 2+ min your 100% recovered (not ideal)
  • tank1539
    Options
    Also, try doing a super set with bench and lat pull downs. Basically do a bench set, walk over to the pull down machine do a set walk back to the bench do a set, repeat till sets are complete. No rest in between. Only the walk is the rest.

P.S. I apologize if you are already familiar with what a superset is.
  • piperdown44
    Options
    tank1539 wrote: »
    How close is your grip? Are you so close that it's mostly triceps and you're not engaging your pecs enough? What other pec exercises are you doing? Try moving from the bar and use Dumbbells for a few weeks. You can also do your sets on the bench but after every set do push-ups or knee push-ups till failure. Also, you should only be giving yourself about 90 sec inbetween sets that puts you around 70% recovery (ideal to make your body recruit different muscle tissue) at 2+ min your 100% recovered (not ideal)

Where did you get that?
    You do realize that a 5x5 weight program is for strength (growth does happen too) and longer rest periods are called for with a strength program. The heavier the weight the more overall muscle tissue is recruited.

• tank1539
    Options

Where did you get that?
    You do realize that a 5x5 weight program is for strength (growth does happen too) and longer rest periods are called for with a strength program. The heavier the weight the more overall muscle tissue is recruited.

Arnold's encyclopedia
  • piperdown44
    Options

Where did you get that?

Arnold's encyclopedia

I believe he was a bit more concerned with growth as opposed to strength.
    OP is looking to increase the bench weight.

• tank1539
    edited September 2015
    Options
    And I appologize for not knowing what a 5x5 program was. I just informed myself. I've never done any specialty programs so please disregard my posts as I was looking at it differently but the science is solid.
  • piperdown44
    Options
    And I appologize for not knowing what a 5x5 program was. I just informed myself. I've never done any specialty programs so please disregard my posts as I was looking at it differently but the science is solid.

Hey no worries. When I switch to bb programs I limit the rest. Not like you were giving out false information. Just thinking of a different program. It happens so, as I said, no worries.

• tank1539
    Options
    Definitely no worries. It all gets confusing and that's why it's nice to be able to discuss. But the dude was pressing over 400 ;) (just playing) I honestly think that most of the time its people's protein intake. It's tough to take in what's needed, the good ole 1 - 2 grams per llbs rule. I have to take in over 200 grams a day. So I'll retract previous posts and just go with the universal, eat more protein. Haha

• piperdown44
    Options
    Definitely no worries. It all gets confusing and that's why it's nice to be able to discuss. But the dude was pressing over 400 ;) (just playing) I honestly think that most of the time its people's protein intake. It's tough to take in what's needed, the good ole 1 - 2 grams per llbs rule. I have to take in over 200 grams a day. So I'll retract previous posts and just go with the universal, eat more protein. Haha

LOL!

• nigelhowell37
    nigelhowell37 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How are you with push ups? I would try those, do them on your knees first and progress to full push ups, see how many you can do in 20 seconds and try to reach 30 seconds, if you have to stop that's fine, eventually you will be able to do them without stopping, this will help you build strength and make bench press easier, hope this helps
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble getting past 15kgs. I am gonna follow the awesomeness that the above peeps said. Thanks for asking a great question!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    I have been trying to increase the weight I use on the bench press gradually. I started with just the bar 5x5 and for the past few weeks I have made it up to 10lbs on each side 5x5. I cant seem to push beyond that though, I cant do 12lbs for 5x5 or even 1x5. How should I move forward, stick with 10lbs or should I do like 5 sets of 1 or 2 reps with the higher weight?

When you were just benching the bar, how was the bar speed? Were you controlling it well on the eccentric and a controlled explosive concentric for a lack of better words? Bar speed is also a good indicator of when to progress the weight. One of the negatives of SL5x5 is that it's absolute as far as how weight is increased. If your reps are kind of slow and "grindy", you probably shouldn't progress the weight even if you can finish all sets.

Secondly, it could be a form issue so watch some videos on form. You don't need to go full-on powerlifter style, but a little arch and definitely good leg support and drive will keep your shoulders healthy and provide with a better base to press from.

I haven't been able to add weight to each exercise like your supposed to but I have added weight a lot since when I started. Since I don't have a spotter I try to do what I can handle. But when it's just the bar or with weight I do it slow and controlled. I keep my hands around shoulder length apart for 5 sets and then keep my hands tightly together for 5 sets targeting my triceps. I always make sure that my back is flat on the bench and my feet are firmly planted on the floor
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    protei
    I eat a lot of protein so that's not it. .8g per pound. I do high fat, protein low carb
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thanks for this, I'm going to try it to see if it'll get me past my bench plateau.

Thanks op for posting this thread!
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I haven't been able to add weight to each exercise like your supposed to but I have added weight a lot since when I started. Since I don't have a spotter I try to do what I can handle. But when it's just the bar or with weight I do it slow and controlled. I keep my hands around shoulder length apart for 5 sets and then keep my hands tightly together for 5 sets targeting my triceps. I always make sure that my back is flat on the bench and my feet are firmly planted on the floor
    [/quote]

Check the BP 101 video (also look at youtube for proper form videos) already posted in this thread, your back should not be flat on the bench.

• tank1539
    Options

[/quote]
    [/quote]

just a suggestion for injury reasons, you might want to change how close your gripping for your close grips. A lot of experts warn that a grip that close causes too much stress on wrists and elbows also a risk of bar balance. They say 6 in or 2 thumbs apart is much safer.