Protein shakes.

Options
So I drink body fortress whey protein shakes for breakfast or sometimes put in a scoop in my smoothies.
Thing is the calories in a shake or a scoop is somewhat high.
I am not weight training only walking.
Are they ok to drink or use if my caloric intake is higher than recommended but fat & carbs still below or even with the recommended amount?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    All that is needed for weight loss is a caloric deficit. Doesn't particularly matter on the macros.

Always try and go for whole foods over whey, but it's your choice.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    If your trying to lose weight then don't take them if they are putting you over your calorie target amount.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, calories are more important than protein.

I only use a protein shake for convenience. I don't like to cook at 9pm, so a shake it is after lifting. I sometimes drink one in the morning if I'm hungry (I typically skip breakfast) and I want to make sure I get plenty of protein that day. My average is 3-4/week. If I wanted cheap tasty protein I'd eat chicken breast. It comes in at ~1/2 of what I pay for protein powder, but I have to freeze it, cook it, etc...

Set your calorie goal, then set your protein goal (1g/kg should be fine), then set your fat goal (anywhere from 20-35%), and the carbs should make up the rest. Only drink a shake if you want to, otherwise eat protein rich food. The daily amount doesn't really matter, you just want to hit 1g/kg with your overall average.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I only take shakes after a workout, quick easy protein. You are correct calories tend to add up quick and I do not find them very 'filling'. Focus on calories if you want to lose weight.
  • strangesoul79
    strangesoul79 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Are you using one or two scoops? I have used shakes for breakfast and lunch. If you are worried about the calories just use one scoop. Depending what are mixing with it will also add in. I was using almond milk and would put some kind of fruit in it just because. All depends on what your caloric needs are and if you are still able to stay in your deficit
  • Labyrinthine93
    Labyrinthine93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    To lose weight your overall calories matter. For health, you should pay attention to your macros. I didn't at first, lost 40lbs real quick, and quite a bit of hair with it. Adjust my macros and it's all good now. I tried that exact protein powder, couldn't get used to it. I would look into other sources of protein though.

Chicken, beans, fish, egg whites. One of my got-tos is Special K protein cereal. It's great for a boost, but it's not used for breakfast it is my evening snack.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    All that is needed for weight loss is a caloric deficit. Doesn't particularly matter on the macros.

Always try and go for whole foods over whey, but it's your choice.
    If you want to lose weight, calories are more important than protein.

I only use a protein shake for convenience. I don't like to cook at 9pm, so a shake it is after lifting. I sometimes drink one in the morning if I'm hungry (I typically skip breakfast) and I want to make sure I get plenty of protein that day. My average is 3-4/week. If I wanted cheap tasty protein I'd eat chicken breast. It comes in at ~1/2 of what I pay for protein powder, but I have to freeze it, cook it, etc...

Set your calorie goal, then set your protein goal (1g/kg should be fine), then set your fat goal (anywhere from 20-35%), and the carbs should make up the rest. Only drink a shake if you want to, otherwise eat protein rich food. The daily amount doesn't really matter, you just want to hit 1g/kg with your overall average.

I disagree completely. CICO does matter BUT when trying to "lose weight" what you want is to strip fat from the body not muscle.
    So protein is VERY important, preserving LBM is VERY important. Otherwise what happens is you become " skinny fat", can be at your goal weight but still 35-40% bodyfat which is unhealthy.
    To preserve LBM you should lift weights ( heavy).
    If you plan to not lift weights then aim to consume .6g -.8g protein per lbs LBM, with lifting aim for .8- 1 g.
    Not familiar with your specific brand of protein, but whey protein in general is only 120 calories per scoop and gives around 25 grams protein, is low on fats/carbs so is not much calories at all, unless what you have is loaded with additives and sugars.
    Protein is the most satiating macro, and provides a nice TEF burn, if youre going to er, er on the side of more protein.
    And a whey protein shake 30 mins to an HR after a workout is best, as the body metabolizes is faster than whole food protein, which gets the nutrients into the muscles faster.