What is considered a cheat?

Options
Is it still cheating if it fits in your calorie deficit or does it require going over?
What about junk food and candy?

Replies

• ashleesaid
    ashleesaid Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'd say things with little nutritional value that are high in calories. But I think the term "cheat" is subjective.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The only thing I consider cheating is not being honest in your diary. If you choose to have a meal or day every now and then you don't record cuz it's a special occasion that is not cheating. That's just living, as long as you get back on the saddle and continue the journey, the only thing these days do is set you back another day from your goal. A long as they don't happen all the time it's not a big deal in long run to have a moment to enjoy yourself.

Also any deficit will result in weight loss, does not matter what food it is.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    What "cheating" means depends on what you think the "game" is.

The "game" for me is to be honest about what I put in my freaking mouth. So a "cheat" to me is something I don't log. If I log it-- even if I go over my calorie goal, and even if it's junk--is not cheating in my game because I am still being honest about what and how much I eat.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The only thing I consider cheating is not being honest in your diary. If you choose to have a meal or day every now and then you don't record cuz it's a special occasion that is not cheating. That's just living, as long as you get back on the saddle and continue the journey, the only thing these days do is set you back another day from your goal. A long as they don't happen all the time it's not a big deal in long run to have a moment to enjoy yourself.

Also any deficit will result in weight loss, does not matter what food it is.
    Agree, especially with the bolded statement.

• TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I think it could be two things, one of which causes a major doo-doo storm in the forums when it is brought up.

1. the previously mentioned not being honest in your diary.

2. having a day or a meal where you have so-called junk food.

and for extra credit, people who joined here: https://ashleymadison.com/
  • Ashleigh_91
    Ashleigh_91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I used to have cheat meals once a week on the weekend but unfortunately I used to binge on the weekend with "cheats" now I use my calories to have that cheat and I know I'm not over eating by logging everything using my fitness pal.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont consider anything a cheat...

its all just... food.
  • jenlo1971
    jenlo1971 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't really consider anything a cheat. I do occasionally eat junk food- had some little Debbie brownies this week- however they fit into my calorie allotment. Even when I go "over" I just call it going over. If I were to consider anything a cheat- it would probably be if a took a day and just threw all caution to the wind, ate whatever I wanted in large amounts with no thought of what I am putting in my body.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've been here for three years and I still don't know...

I just eat food...most of it's highly nutritious...but I have some pizza now and then...to some I guess that would make me a cheater...IDK...I just eat and hit my calorie targets the vast majority of the time. Seems to be working out ok...lost 40 Lbs and have maintained for over two years.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    i consider cheating not logging. I do log 99% of the things. I have a 3 year old, she feeds me random stuff. most days I have a at least 50 calories left, so I figure that is where the single gold fish, maybe a gummy bear, whatever go. If it is anything substantial I log it. she fed me a pretty big bite of her cookie at sams club the other day. I guessed it was about 1/4 of a cookie and took the 50 calorie beating.
    I eat foods i love every day. If i didn't there is NO WAY I would have any sort of longevity. I had rice krispies for breakfast (my fave) I am having a single serving deep dish pizza for lunch, and I am having tacos for dinner, and probably ice cream for dessert. I don't have to 'cheat' my diet is YUMMY in my TUMMY
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It's whatever you want. It's your diet. You get to decide what cheating is or is not, and whether to call it cheating or not. There are no rules except those you set.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I think we should ban the term 'cheat' when it comes to having a healthy lifestyle. Incorporating those foods you love but probably shouldn't have all the time is just PART of the lifestyle. You're human, of COURSE you're going to eat a pizza on a special occasion. Of course you're going to have a bit of cake on someones birthday. If you're aiming for a calorie deficit - work those 'cheat foods' (eeek I've said it again!) into the deficit. There are also days when you won't be under or hitting your calorie deficit - you'll be over. Make up for it the following day. Moderation is the key.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    To me, a cheat (used to love the word, now I hate it) is eating something and not logging it because you KNOW it is going to be bad. And really you are only cheating yourself in the process. I am not a fan of cutting out anything. I still eat my sweets and carbs and log them and meet my goals.

And lets be honest, it isn't cheating. It is willfully ignoring what you know is a better choice. What matters is how you handle the choice.
  • myheartsabattleground
    Options
    Konami-Code.jpg
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Konami-Code.jpg
    Not select start? You're playing single player?
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I used to have cheat meals once a week on the weekend but unfortunately I used to binge on the weekend with "cheats" now I use my calories to have that cheat and I know I'm not over eating by logging everything using my fitness pal.

I used to be the same way. It was only when I started really logging those "cheat" meals/weekends that I was like "Dang so that's why the scale doesn't move much!"
  • z_vette
    z_vette Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    To echo what most everyone else has already said, I believe a "cheat" is just not being honest in your logging / diary.

I'd also consider a cheat eating something you know you shouldn't be eating, given your weight loss goal.

For example, I've already decided that at my 50 pound lost mark (hopefully about 2 weeks away!) I'm ordering pizza. I haven't had pizza since I started 3 months ago, as I do and will consider eating pizza a cheat (and I've also never rewarded my loss with food, but dangit I want pizza!).
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    For example, I've already decided that at my 50 pound lost mark (hopefully about 2 weeks away!) I'm ordering pizza. I haven't had pizza since I started 3 months ago, as I do and will consider eating pizza a cheat (and I've also never rewarded my loss with food, but dangit I want pizza!).

eat pizza. I could not imagine thinking about a food for THREE months before i ate it. And don't reward yourself with food, you are not a dog!

eat pizza because it is yummy, i have it probably 3 to 4 times a week. rewards are for something else.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    GeddesFit wrote: »
    Is it still cheating if it fits in your calorie deficit or does it require going over?
    What about junk food and candy?

I don't worry within a day or week. If I eat over, as long as I am on track the majority of the week, loss happens, or at worst I maintain one week. Just my way of looking at it.

• myheartsabattleground
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Konami-Code.jpg
    Not select start? You're playing single player?

Nope, no select.