Help with fat stomach

Options
Hi everyone,

I've been with MFP for 15 days now. I only have about 5 pounds to lose, and I'm really just trying to maintain and get back in shape.

I quit cigarettes in December 2012, and as of today, 44 days totally off alcohol.

I've been eating pretty good for the most part, and walking about 12 to 15 miles a week. Something I didn't really do at all other than walking the dogs at a casual pace.

Over the past couple of days, I've noticed that my dress pants for work are a little tighter around the waist. I've so much as had to go to the next belt hole.

Just wondering if there is something else I should be doing? I've read situps don't really cut your belly that much. Seems as though now that I've given up beer, my beer belly is growing for some reason. lol

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Feel free to add me as a friend as well. I could use the support.

Scott

Replies

• TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    First of all, I want to extend my congratulations on quitting not only cigarettes but alcohol as well. Are you losing weight as as result of your increased walking? If not, you may need to decrease your calories a little each day to allow your body to burn the excess. If you have been losing weight, but all of a sudden your pants are snug it could be due to excessively salt-laden foods (chips, crackers, pizza, burgers, luncheon meats, processed foods such as salad dressings and boxed noodles and rice mixes are all culprits) and a few days and more water will get rid of it.

If you don't log your food and exercise, this is a great time to start. It could give you some insight as to what else you may need to do to drop those few last pounds. Best of luck to you!
  • AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the no smoking and no alcohol that's completely AMAZING!!! I would suggest adding in some strength training, and maybe another form of cardio above and beyond walking? Also take a look at what you ate over the past few days and whether you have had enough water - it could just be bloating due to something you ate.

Good Luck!
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open, but it could have something to do with fat, carbs and/or sodium in your diet. All can make you retain water and make you bloat.

Keep up the cardio, add in more strength training as that will help build your core and work belly fat along with other muscle groups. Watch the sodium and startchy carbs - drink min 10 glasses of water a day.

Good luck
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    If you have a belly, than you have fat and probably need to lose some rather than maintain. I know the feeling, like many men, I have a pot belly, but not much fat anywhere else. And even after losing 30+ lbs, I've only lost an inch at the belly button and maybe half an inch from my neck. I don't know where all the weight loss is coming from!
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Usually for men the belly area is the first area to gain the majority of the weight gain and the last to lose it, the body puts it's fuel in the most efficient place to store it. That being said, you may have recently started to deviate from the healthy eating that has produced the results.
    As you know your body is made in the kitchen, but sculpted in the weight room/cardio, so maybe it's time to add in some strength training/crossfit or something else that you enjoy that gives you more spent calories.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I would say you need to do some sort of HIIT training with cardio to burn fat and strength to tone your muscles.

I have a big mummy tummy and have seen a reduction of flabbiness and increased tone since I started doing this video:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqdavl_jillian-michaels-6-weeks-six-pack-level-2-2010-divx-dvdrip_sport#.UWXg_qLF2Sp

I did level 1 of this workout first to prepare myself for level 2 (link above) but I still can't do the whole thing yet as I'm finding it very challenging. The moves really seem to be helping my tummy more than the moves in level 1 though so you might like to try incorporating some of the exercises into your current routine.
  • LogansHeros
    LogansHeros Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input.

After reading your suggestions and comments, I think I need to amp up my workout and drink more water.

I'm eating under 2000 calories a day now and I seem to feel hungry a lot. Not overly hungry, but an hour or so before a meal, I'm starved. (at least in my head)

I haven't eaten this healthy in years. (chicken, salads, veggies, and an occasional snack)

I use to eat whatever I wanted, pizza, burgers, and in large amounts. That being said, I also drank alcohol a bunch, so I wasn't getting 3 meals a day, usually 2 meals but sometimes one large feast. I was underweight, probably because of the alcohol.

I am fairly new to this, and I'm sure my body is adjusting.

Thanks again for your suggestions and comments.

Scott