Dairy -- Yes or No?

Options
I searched around for a bit to see if there was a similar thread and didn't find one so I apologize if I'm just opening up a can of worms here but....

Dairy -- obviously most sources say that milk, yogurt, etc. is healthy. But there's also the "humans are the only species that drink milk beyond infancy" stuff and also the "dairy causes inflammation, bloating, etc." crowd.

Personally I have dairy all the time and haven't really noticed any issues but I've also never tried cutting it out completely. What are some others opinions and experiences on this?

Replies

• debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I LOVE dairy! Yogurt, cheese, milk, ice cream. Yeppers never gonna give em up. I couldn't be happier that I am not lactose intolerant.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    As a trained biologist, my brain tells me the "species" thing. But as a human, my experience is that some dairy-based things are nummy and nutritionally sound.

I use liquid milk in EXTREMELY small amounts (like 1 tsp) in coffee; and otherwise don't drink it or cook with it. I've never been a big yogurt fan; and eat reasonable and occasional amounts of sour cream, cheese, and cottage cheese.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I searched around for a bit to see if there was a similar thread and didn't find one so I apologize if I'm just opening up a can of worms here but....

Dairy -- obviously most sources say that milk, yogurt, etc. is healthy. But there's also the "humans are the only species that drink milk beyond infancy" stuff and also the "dairy causes inflammation, bloating, etc." crowd.

Personally I have dairy all the time and haven't really noticed any issues but I've also never tried cutting it out completely. What are some others opinions and experiences on this?

Ignore the bolded bozos.

Fit milk/dairy into your daily calorie count and you'll be fine.

• train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Some people are sensitive to dairy which is probably why they say that stuff. I love dairy, so I consume it. I could not live without ice cream. If you like it, fit it in and eat it. :)
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    The only reason to avoid dairy would be lactose intolerance etc. Otherwise, go for it. Dairy can be a good source of fats, protein and calcium.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I used to own hermit crabs. I fed them a wide variety of foods, including dairy every once in a while. They LOVED milk.

I would just focus on the fact that you've included dairy with no problems and just leave it at that.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I used to own hermit crabs. I fed them a wide variety of foods, including dairy every once in a while. They LOVED milk.

That's an awesome pet.
  • ellissa19
    ellissa19 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Started a journey to become Vegan in January. Dairy was the first thing I cut. Since doing so, I breathe much easier (wasn't really aware I had any breathing problems), I lose weight faster, never bloated, and never have any type of mucous build-up. Now the smell of cheese and milk makes me gag! I don't miss it.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I love cheese
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    ellissa19 wrote: »
    Started a journey to become Vegan in January. Dairy was the first thing I cut. Since doing so, I breathe much easier (wasn't really aware I had any breathing problems), I lose weight faster, never bloated, and never have any type of mucous build-up. Now the smell of cheese and milk makes me gag! I don't miss it.

How quickly did you notice those changes?
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

I give my cat a splash of milk as a treat once in a while. He goes absolutely nuts every time I pull it out of the fridge.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Beyond personal preference and allergy/intollerance I don't believe it dairy is unhealthy as part of a balance diet.

"humans are the only species that drink milk beyond infancy" is a ridiculous statement and could only be believed by someone who has not spent much time around animals.
  • alicjakrol
    alicjakrol Posts: 13 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Found out I was lactose intolerant....which make a lot of sense to me since I hated drinking milk as long as I could remember. Ice cream, milk in recipes and cheese was fine for me. But since cutting off all dairy, I no longer feel sluggish and stuffy.

Basically, if you feel great eating/drinking dairy....continue to do so. Stop consuming dairy and your body stops making the enzyme that can digest lactose.
  • echoslug
    echoslug Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Blatantly untrue. Human are the only species that have evolved in a way that allows them the ability to easily access milk beyond infancy. There are plenty of species of animals that will happily consume milk as adults when milk is provided for them - all domestic and wild felines, most canines, some birds (I know of ducks and peacocks), goats, pigs, many rodents.

As for the evolution argument humans are the only species that use fire, have developed agriculture, drive, use computers, wear clothes, ect.

If you like dairy eat dairy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think there's anything wrong with dairy...i don't eat much of it because once i get going on some cheese i can eat about 1/2 Lb of the stuff and could easily guzzle 1/2 gallon or more of milk per day thus really racking up the calories...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    PETA is against milk, on humanitarian grounds. Dr. Spock, who became vegetarian later in life, modified his advice to take milk out of a child's diet after the age of two. His is a minority opinion.

My son in law is from an African tribe that traditionally centered around cattle and milk. They would sour the milk before drinking it (likely the only safe way outside of refrigeration to keep it free from contamination). His people are very tall.

8405085107_c7236618e5_b.jpg

For these reasons I won't give up milk. I'm experimenting with Kefir right now. It does digest very well.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Cats love milk... though too much is not good for them, I have a pet mini-pot bellied pig and they have a lot of food restrictions, but milk is a recommended safe food for them... even my dogs love milk (although I don't think it's "a thing")... so I vote for "yes, milk"!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Humans are also the only species that I'm aware of that intentionally plants seeds in a "garden" in order to raise food. Ergo...I don't believe that the "humans are the only species that ________" is a particularly insightful argument for or against anything.

• Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I think it is all personal preference. I never drink milk, I don't like yogurt and I could live without cheese. But my son could drink a gallon of milk a day and be just fine. And he is skinny as can be. I say if you like it make it work for you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I don't eat dairy products produced conventionally:

Is your milk and cheese the product of blatant animal cruelty?

Every time Mercy For Animals’ undercover investigators go behind the closed doors of dairy factory farms they document widespread acts of animal abuse that shock and horrify most people. Multiple investigations at dairy factory farms across the country have exposed sickening cruelty to animals, including workers viciously beating, stabbing, and dragging sick and injured cows. These investigations have uncovered:

Read more: http://www.gotmisery.com