Help!! Is this right..

Options
Hello everyone,

How much sugar should I limit myself to each day? my fitness pal adds up 66grams!!

Also I'm on a 1,500 calories which is added up by 50% carbs, 20% protein and 30% fat.. Is this all right? I want to be able to loose about 1ib a week. Any help would be great... Thanks :)

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If your doctor hasn't told you to reduce sugar, I wouldn't bother tracking it.

For your macros, it doesn't really matter for weightloss. It has more to do with staying satisfied and having energy when you need it. I personally find more happiness these days with less carbs and more fat, but that's just me. You might want to look at the protein goal, since that's usually set a bit lower than many people here recommend.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    All that matters for weight loss is that you're at a calorie deficit.
  • Ashleigh_91
    Ashleigh_91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    If your doctor hasn't told you to reduce sugar, I wouldn't bother tracking it.

For your macros, it doesn't really matter for weightloss. It has more to do with staying satisfied and having energy when you need it. I personally find more happiness these days with less carbs and more fat, but that's just me. You might want to look at the protein goal, since that's usually set a bit lower than many people here recommend.

Doesn't having too much sugar make you fat?? I thought that was the case. I always go over my protein
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Do that for at least 3 weeks and see how your weight progresses. Change based on results.

Sugar is 15% of calories, in line with various guidelines.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Having too much sugar does make you fat, but so does having too much protein or too much fat or, basically, too much of anything. If weight loss is your goal, and you're just starting out, I'd focus mostly on overall calories for a little while. Although I do kind of agree with WBB55 about your protein goal. But people do get by on that amount, so its up to you.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1500 per day and I pay absolutely no attention whatsoever to my macro's. I probably should have some awareness of them but the way I see it, I'm at a deficit and I'm losing weight and I feel contented knowing that I'm not hungry in the process. No way am I making this unsustainable by totting up all these individual categories before each meal. Not tracking my macro's has worked for me. Maybe later down the line, I'll pay more attention but I wouldn't say it's particularly necessary :)
  • Ashleigh_91
    Ashleigh_91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm so obsessed with counting and tracking my macro"s. I have no more than 100g of protein a day. I hope this doesn't make me gain weight. I have googled and this came up .... "Experts advise consuming between 0.5 grams and 1.0 grams of protein per pound of your body weight. That's 70 grams to 140 grams a day for a 140-pound woman. Skew on the high end if you're very active, and on the low end if you're trying to lose weight."
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a deficit each day, you won't gain weight from being over on macro's.

I am over my carbs every single day - sometimes by A LOT!! Sometimes I can have full days of mainly carbs! I'm still at a deficit so I still lose weight.

Seriously - this won't effect your weight loss.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think for some people, eating too much sugar, compared to other nutrients, can make you fat. I am one of those. But I do believe if your sugars are coming from veggies and some fruits, unless you have a medical issue, then you are probably fine with higher levels of sugar.

If your sugars come from added sugars, "junk foods", or a large amount of foods made from flours, then lowering them could help your health. If they make you exceed your calorie deficit then lowering them will help with weight loss.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Its all about CICO
    Calories in vs calories out

Sugar/fat etc dont make you fat...TOO MUCH calories ( eating SURPLUS) makes you gain weight!

When you follow MFP and stick around your daily calorie allowance you will lose weight. As long as you log all your food. Weigh all your food and you will be fine.

You can eat everything you like/love as long as you keep a deficit ( so eat less calories as you burn) and you will lose weight.
    The only issue would be if you have a medical condition with certain foods ( like allergic or diabetic etc)
    Otherwise nope all about the calories.

Of course for overall health a balanced diet is the best.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Sugar is included in carbs. Reverse your carb and fat percentages and you'll be heading in right direction.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Your likely over thinking this

Calorie surplus causes weight gain. Not sugar or extra protein.

To lose weight, eat at a deficit.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Some people do have a difficult time metabolizing sugar -- they're more likely to store it as fat. A good example of this is someone that has insulin resistance. And if you think this only happens to a few people, that's not that case. Over 40% of US adults have insulin resistance at pre-diabetic or diabetic levels (the vast majority of which do not know it).

Sugar isn't evil, but it can be an impediment to weight loss for many if they're consuming a lot. For example, there was a study a few years ago that showed women on isocaloric deficit diets (i.e. caloric deficit was the same) with the same amount of protein but differing levels of fat and carb. Those that had good insulin sensitivity lost twice as much weight on the higher carb diet. Those with insulin resistance (poor insulin sensitivity) did the exact opposite -- they lost twice as much weight when they had the lower carb diet. Same caloric deficit, vastly different results based on the individual woman's insulin sensitivity/resistance.

So, how much sugar and/or carbs you consume can make a difference. Whether it makes a difference in your individual case will vary.

And don't worry about your protein -- 100 gs is not too much. Too much protein only becomes a problem if you have kidney or other issues because high protein diets can put pressure on the liver and kidney in particular. For people with healthy livers and kidneys, you'd have to eat a LOT more than that to have a problem -- 300+g or perhaps more. So, at 100, you're totally fine.

You could even up that if you're having difficulty with satiety or weight loss. A good rule of thumb is 1 g per lb LBM to preserve LBM loss in a caloric deficit. If 100g is below that number, consider increasing it until you get to that 1 g per 1 lb LBM number.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Some people do have a difficult time metabolizing sugar -- they're more likely to store it as fat. A good example of this is someone that has insulin resistance. And if you think this only happens to a few people, that's not that case. Over 40% of US adults have insulin resistance at pre-diabetic or diabetic levels (the vast majority of which do not know it).

Sugar isn't evil, but it can be an impediment to weight loss for many if they're consuming a lot. For example, there was a study a few years ago that showed women on isocaloric deficit diets (i.e. caloric deficit was the same) with the same amount of protein but differing levels of fat and carb. Those that had good insulin sensitivity lost twice as much weight on the higher carb diet. Those with insulin resistance (poor insulin sensitivity) did the exact opposite -- they lost twice as much weight when they had the lower carb diet. Same caloric deficit, vastly different results based on the individual woman's insulin sensitivity/resistance.

So, how much sugar and/or carbs you consume can make a difference. Whether it makes a difference in your individual case will vary.

And don't worry about your protein -- 100 gs is not too much. Too much protein only becomes a problem if you have kidney or other issues because high protein diets can put pressure on the liver and kidney in particular. For people with healthy livers and kidneys, you'd have to eat a LOT more than that to have a problem -- 300+g or perhaps more. So, at 100, you're totally fine.

You could even up that if you're having difficulty with satiety or weight loss. A good rule of thumb is 1 g per lb LBM to preserve LBM loss in a caloric deficit. If 100g is below that number, consider increasing it until you get to that 1 g per 1 lb LBM number.

If they don't know it, how can you be sure it is 40% of all adults?
  • BirdyWeirdy77
    BirdyWeirdy77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    my doctor told me to eat 1800 calories, and refered me to a dietitian. From there the dietitian told me that I need to avoid all added sugar and sugary, fried, processed foods. Unless its natural sugar, like from an actual apple or an orange. NOT orange juice or apple juice! no cakes, candies or ice cream. avoid fried foods saturated in oil, in fact avoid the use of oil period. 1 tbsp of oil is 100cal!!!
    the recommended oils in MODERATION is organic virgin olive oil, or organic coconut oil. both oils have amazing uses than just cooking.
    also she told me to eat only a set amount of carbs mine was 30-45 for breakfast, 40-50 for lunch, 20-30 for snack, and again 20 -30 for snack, and dinner 40-50.
    i was told i needed to exercise a min or 15 mins a day to build up my insulin resistance. I know what you thinking, I'm a diabetic. But no I'm not. as far as i understand this is the ideal diet for anyone who is over weight. even if you not diabetic.
    thats what im following and i have lost 44 pounds
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

If they don't know it, how can you be sure it is 40% of all adults?

Like most things, it's an extrapolation based on sample size. Just like how they estimate numbers of other diseases. It was done by the CDC in 2011 or so. Link below.

Diabetes was 8.3% of the US adult population and pre-diabetic insulin resistance was 35% -- so 43.3% total for 2011 report (data was 2005-2008 I think). In 2014 report (data was 2010-2012 I think), the numbers rose to 9.3% and 37% respectively -- so 46.3%! Almost half of the US adult population!

http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/pdf/ndfs_2011.pdf
    http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/statsreport14/national-diabetes-report-web.pdf