Eggs - yes, no, maybe?

Options
i have been enjoying two egg omlet w/ spinach and cheese for breakfast. I cook it in a pan with some Pam olive oil. I continue to get low scores on this food choice on my apps, is this really not a good breakfast choice? I also like steel cut oatmeal with dried blueberries but I don't get a good score with that either lol

Any breakfast suggestions?

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    What? Why would you get low scores with that!? Iron, protein, fat, nutrients galore... You're fine, ignore the app hahah.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by score? That sounds like a good breakfast to me. Good protein and fats.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    No individual food dictates your overall health. Eat whole foods that you enjoy, within reason. If you were consuming 15 eggs a day, then that might raise an eyebrow as to the rest of your diet.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    That's a great breakfast! What is scoring too low/too high?
  • mlturner08
    mlturner08 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Fiber
    Oil - Olive, 1 tsp 40 0 5 0 0 0
    Spinach - Raw, 1 cup 7 1 0 1 24 1
    Cheddar Cheese, Sharp - Tillamook, 1 oz (28 grams) 110 0 9 7 170 0
    Eggs - Scrambled (whole egg), 1 large 101 1 7 7 171 0
    Add Food Quick Tools 258 2 21 15 365 1

Kind of ugly, but I hope you get my drift. 258 calories, 15 grams of protein. Not bad.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Yeah, um. Delete that app.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I feel like that app would give me anxiety attacks.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Fiber
    Heb Oatmeal - Steel Cut, 0.25 cup 150 27 3 5 0 4
    Trader Joe's - Dried Blueberries, 0.25 cup 140 33 0 1 0 6
    Fage 0% Fat - Greek Yogurt, 0.5 cup (227 g) 65 5 0 12 43 0
    Add Food Quick Tools 355 65 3 18 43 10

This is how the steel cut oatmeal breakfast shook out. I added 1/4 cup Greek yogurt to improve the protein. Eighteen grams of protein, total 355 calories. Also very good.
  • mlturner08
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Yeah, um. Delete that app.

Haha I just might. I am a pretty smart person and I feel like I know what I should and shouldn't eat and I was blown away when it gave me that score.
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    mlturner08 wrote: »
    i have been enjoying two egg omlet w/ spinach and cheese for breakfast. I cook it in a pan with some Pam olive oil. I continue to get low scores on this food choice on my apps, is this really not a good breakfast choice? I also like steel cut oatmeal with dried blueberries but I don't get a good score with that either lol

Any breakfast suggestions?

I eat eggs almost every day for breakfast...either whole eggs or egg whites or egg beaters. I also do the steel cut oatmeal with walnuts and fruit that i add myself. Not the pre packaged kind. Some days i eat ALOT of eggs for breakfast and oatmeal lol. Id ditch whatever app is telling you its a bad idea.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Oh, THAT app. Not MFP. Cholesterol, yes, in eggs. I don't worry about that. Dietary cholesterol is not directly related to blood cholesterol. Fifteen and eighteen grams of protein each at breakfast I would call a win.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    What are they scoring? Do you know? I'm curious because I would consider that a wonderful breakfast choice, unless you're adding a TON of cheese.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Your breakfast? Awesome.
    The App? Not so much.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'd happily eat your choice, the App I'd delete!
  • mlturner08
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice!
  • mlturner08
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice!
    What are they scoring? Do you know? I'm curious because I would consider that a wonderful breakfast choice, unless you're adding a TON of cheese.

See pictures above
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Ah. Its the cholesterol (as noted above). The U.S.D.A. dietary guidelines are supposed to be changed this year to remove the limitations they have had for decades on cholesterol, because the consensus of all the research over those decades is that there's no negative effect from it (dietary cholesterol is unrelated to blood cholesterol). So maybe this application will get updated to reflect that, eventually.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol...not a problem.
    Sodium? for most people, not a problem.

Your app is scoring your food based on outdated information. Uninstall.

Eggs and steel cut oats are fantastic foods!
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Oh, the Jawbone Up app! I use that too. I tend to take the "food score" with a grain of salt. I'm not sure how exactly foods are gauged & how heavily protein vs saturated fat vs sodium vs cholesterol is weighted, but it has something to do with it...