Will I EVER be able to run more than 2 miles?!

Options
I have been doing c25k, and it has been fantastic - I have gone from not being able to run at all to doing a mile, I would not say easily but without feeling like I am going to die! However, I am really struggling to increase this distance, I have reached 2 miles on a couple of occasions but usually not much more than a mile and a bit, and when I do I really do feel like I can't go on! I would really like to think that one day I could enter a 5k but it seems a distant dream at the moment! I try to run every other day..

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    yes you will. 5K's are so easy. Why do you feel like you are gonna die? run slower, pace yourself and just keep running. if you've ran two miles, you can run three. Mostly its a mental barrier more than a physical barrier, unless you have some medical condition, which i assume you dont since you can run 2 miles. Just tell yourself you can do it, and then do it.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Well done for running over a mile! Great achievement.

You mentioned c25k, do you follow that plan? If so it will help you get there, just repeat a week if you feel you need to. Try not to pressure yourself thinking of running xyz in the future, focus on the first part of the next run only. Trust the app, it really is a good one :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It took me a few months to work up to a distance. I found a plan online and did that. It means following a similar plan to C25K, gradually adding time every week.
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I get so out of breath, just very unfit I guess. I need to work on building up some stamina! I do go very slow..
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Most of the folks I know who struggled with running were going too fast even though they thought they were already going too slow.
  • maureented
    maureented Posts: 59 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes, you will. Great job. When I am trying to jog a longer distance I add a small section. To the next driveway, next mailbox, two telephone poles further or add a small distance on the treadmill. Maybe after your two miles, keep walking when you are finished and walk another mile (and when you've caught your breath while walking try to jog the last five minutes of that third mile/K and slowly you'll be able to do the whole 5k).
    A 5k is very doable for you, invite family or friends to do it with you and sign up. Even if you end up walking you will have a great time. Good luck and keep on running!
  • BrookWozniak
    BrookWozniak Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes! Keep at it! Running is very difficult for me too. I started C25K running at a 4.2 mph pace. I am now graduated and run at a 4.5 mph, but have only hit 2.5 miles running. Still striving for that 3.1. It will take me time, but I'll get there! :smile:

What speed are you running? Remember you should be able to talk, but not sing. What week are you in?
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Most of the folks I know who struggled with running were going too fast even though they thought they were already going too slow.

Quoted For Truth. If you can't carry on a conversation when running, you're going too fast for a beginner. Another test is to try breathing in for 3 steps, then out for 3 steps. If you need to breathe more often, slow down.

If you're not very active in general, it can also help to do long walks on the days you're not running.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If you can download an app like Runkeeper and bring your phone with you, it can help you to be sure you are running slowly by keeping track of your pace. It can also help you to slowly increase your run by small distances, like a tenth of a mile.

Adding in walking intervals can help you to add distance, too. Add them as necessary to achieve the distance you want, then gradually decrease your walking time.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I'm currently able to run 25 minutes, but that isn't even 2 miles yet. Tonight I could only do half of my run, but I think I understand the reasons why I had a hard time. My plan is to keep working the plan and not give up. I'm hoping the speed will improve. And from a former smoker, the breathing totally gets easier.
  • michellepearson224
    Options
    Build it up very slowly and at a steady pace that you can keep up. I started running around a month ago and I can now do 5.5k without stopping. Am entered into a 10k in November so am adding half a km every week now to build up to 10k. Also starting with intervals of running and walking will help until you build up to a full run. Good luck!
  • Hamez_UK
    Hamez_UK Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    As many have said. Work on your pace, not by speeding up but by slowing down. Get the distance first, then the pace will improve over time.
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies, I am determined to keep at it! X
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Yep. Slow down. That is your barrier, right there.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    If you can run 1-ish mile (sometimes 2) then you can already run 3 miles, you just don't realize it yet. Just slow down, get out there and do it to prove that you can. Running is a big mind game.
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I remember feeling just like you, I thought I'd never be able to run 5k, if felt so hard but I kept at it, my body adapted and eventually running 5k was ok. Then I started looking at running 10k, again it was really hard and again I got use to it and now I happily run 10k. Now I'm working on half marathon distance, I've completed a couple of halves but I'm still at the stage where they feel hard but I know from experience that they will get easier it just takes time, so keep going you'll get there. Good luck.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    buckleten wrote: »
    I get so out of breath, just very unfit I guess. I need to work on building up some stamina! I do go very slow..

Slow down even more. You'll be surprised at how much longer you'll be able to run and your speed will pick up again shortly.
    Keep trying; it'll happen.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    yes you will. 5K's are so easy. Why do you feel like you are gonna die? run slower, pace yourself and just keep running. if you've ran two miles, you can run three. Mostly its a mental barrier more than a physical barrier, unless you have some medical condition, which i assume you dont since you can run 2 miles. Just tell yourself you can do it, and then do it.

+1

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    aarar wrote: »
    If you can run 1-ish mile (sometimes 2) then you can already run 3 miles, you just don't realize it yet. Just slow down, get out there and do it to prove that you can. Running is a big mind game.

Yup, agree with the above. I had the same problem until one day I had a song that was fast beat and haven't heard in forever come on. Kept going for at least another half mile. All because I was mentally stimulated. Don't let your mind quit before your body does!

If being out of breath is your only problem, that will pass. I smoke, it was tough the first couple months. I used to only be able to go as far as my lungs would let me, now my legs give out before my lungs do. Also, as you start dropping extra weight it will be much easier to run.
  • lmlilly
    lmlilly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's all mental. I always say when your brain says stop you need to say "NO!" at least three times. My brain wants to give up long before by body. I may or may not have shouted it ince or twice in the gym.

And the first 10 minutes are always the worst. Once I get past those I'm fine.