Eat above BMR?

Options
So after reading a few threads here I decided to go calculate my BMR and TDEE averages. My BMR ended up being between 2300 to 2600, as some of the calculations varied. The TDEE was between 3700 to 4000.

However, MFP has my 1000 calorie deficit, 2lb/week loss, at 1950 or so calories a day goal, which is below the calculated BMRs. Is this ok? Is the math wrong somewhere?

I'll add I am 295.6 lbs, so the numbers just seem really high.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    BMR calcs get a little funky with higher weight folks, and they're estimates in the first place.

If you can stick with 1950/day, you'll lose weight. Might be a little optimistic though, since you're likely cutting your intake in half. Increase activity level and eat in the 2300-2500 range would be my suggestion.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    BMR calcs get a little funky with higher weight folks, and they're estimates in the first place.

If you can stick with 1950/day, you'll lose weight. Might be a little optimistic though, since you're likely cutting your intake in half. Increase activity level and eat in the 2300-2500 range would be my suggestion.

jjenks,

You may have felt that you got no replies, but really ^^ THAT says it as well as it can be stated. I couldn't have said it better - and I would have used all the words. I like jwdieter's succinctness.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If you eat the 1950 that MFP recommends plus your exercise calories, that will have you eating in range of your BMR. As you lose weight, your body will require fewer calories, so definitely make sure to reevaluate your BMR and TDEE as you continue to lose. :smile: