Happy with my squats today

Options
Years of neglecting my legs but finally putting things right. Still less than my bench but over the next year I hope that will change.

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Niiiiiice! But you can stay in the bench more than I squat club with me.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

Oh lawd! If I could go back and slap my younger self.....NEVER SKIP LEG DAY YOU IDIOT!!!

200 @9 for squat, 215@9 for bench yesterday....and if I wasn't doing paused bench I probably could have cranked out another 3-4 reps.

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Options

Oh lawd! If I could go back and slap my younger self.....NEVER SKIP LEG DAY YOU IDIOT!!!

200 @9 for squat, 215@9 for bench yesterday....and if I wasn't doing paused bench I probably could have cranked out another 3-4 reps.

Rehabbing injury has me in the club. Today my top squats for 47.5kg for 4's, narrow grip bench was 57.5kg for 10's. I CAN still squat more than I bench, but I pay for it for days with very unhappy si joints. So I'm taking it easy and focusing on keepin form on point without worrying about weight on the bar.
  • piperdown44
    Options

Rehabbing injury has me in the club. Today my top squats for 47.5kg for 4's, narrow grip bench was 57.5kg for 10's. I CAN still squat more than I bench, but I pay for it for days with very unhappy si joints. So I'm taking it easy and focusing on keepin form on point without worrying about weight on the bar.

Hmm, sounds like me when I got back into lifting years ago. Surgery on right knee decades ago and never properly rehabed the knee and surrounding structure. Was making good gains in 2009-2011(started lifting again after a 10 year hiatus) then stopped again (stupid of me). Picked it back up in 2013 because my back and knee was messed up. Back I kept throwing out, muscle spasms, etc. Knee just hurt.
    Fundamentally I knew it was because of weak surrounding stabilizer muscles. So, started slow and am building back up. Still have an issue with my right hamstring and it's weakness compared to my left. I talked about it a little bit on my journal over on iron-sanctuary (actually run by a countryman of yours, 48 years old and just hit a 600lb squat at his last meet, open, raw, masters).

I did hit 275 on squats this past spring before starting a cut (long slow). Figure when I'm down to an appropriate level of bf I'll slow bulk and hit that number soon enough.

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Options
    I've talked on the forums a bit about what's going on - condensed version is lower crossed syndrome with very lax si joints. Combined with known hypermobility from lax ligaments, it's been a fun challenge for anyone to work on, but we are making progress.

The good news is that when I do go up high enough to somewhat challenge myself, it's not feeling like I've lost a lot off my top end. As I rehab, I will get the weight back up fairly easily.
  • piperdown44
    Options
    I've talked on the forums a bit about what's going on - condensed version is lower crossed syndrome with very lax si joints. Combined with known hypermobility from lax ligaments, it's been a fun challenge for anyone to work on, but we are making progress.

The good news is that when I do go up high enough to somewhat challenge myself, it's not feeling like I've lost a lot off my top end. As I rehab, I will get the weight back up fairly easily.

Had to look that up. How the heck do you target the issue?! Stretching the hamstrings and strengthening the core? For lax ligaments I'd assume just strengthening the surrounding musculature? Unless you opt for a surgical fix?

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Options

Had to look that up. How the heck do you target the issue?! Stretching the hamstrings and strengthening the core? For lax ligaments I'd assume just strengthening the surrounding musculature? Unless you opt for a surgical fix?

Physio and my head coach/programmer had a bit of a disagreement, and my coach won out. It's a lot of core work, especially work for the transverse abs. stretching for the hip flexors- they are so tight right now I'm actually blocked from getting any lower than just past parallel. Strengthening work for the glutes, and we just added hamstring stretches last week - we are slowly working our way out.

My right hamstring currently has almost no passive range of motion. We are taking our time because we know it didn't get that tight for no reason, and the last thing we want is to destabilize something else. The hypermobility definitely complicates the issue. It's a good thing we are not looking at me returning to three lift competition until next March/April at the earliest.
  • piperdown44
    Options

Physio and my head coach/programmer had a bit of a disagreement, and my coach won out. It's a lot of core work, especially work for the transverse abs. stretching for the hip flexors- they are so tight right now I'm actually blocked from getting any lower than just past parallel. Strengthening work for the glutes, and we just added hamstring stretches last week - we are slowly working our way out.

My right hamstring currently has almost no passive range of motion. We are taking our time because we know it didn't get that tight for no reason, and the last thing we want is to destabilize something else. The hypermobility definitely complicates the issue. It's a good thing we are not looking at me returning to three lift competition until next March/April at the earliest.

Holy Crap! That's a lot (I mean a LOT) of rehab work! Kudos for getting the assistance you need to move forward. I know too many people that would have just bagged it and gave up.
    Here's to wishing you a complete work through so you can compete in March/April. Come back even stronger!

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Options

Holy Crap! That's a lot (I mean a LOT) of rehab work! Kudos for getting the assistance you need to move forward. I know too many people that would have just bagged it and gave up.
    Here's to wishing you a complete work through so you can compete in March/April. Come back even stronger!

It is a lot of rehab. But I also understand that it's not just my lifting, it's day to day life as well. I'm in fantastic hands with my coaches - my head coach is almost always the national coach for international bench only competitions, and the other one is an amazing coach and bencher in his own right.

Next competition is 13 weeks out, bench only at commonwealth.