under ate, very worried...

Options
Today, due to busy schedule and lack of appetite, i could only get up to a net of 1600 calories, which is very low for me. Every night for the past 6 months i have been stuffing my self with food until i feel great pain in my stomach and have been doing this just to maintain my weight, and for just today, i felt like taking a break from that and just eat till i felt full. How will this one day affect me? How do most of you manage to get an appetite to eat it least 2000? I really am struggling with this...

Replies

• Brandonleite
    Brandonleite Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Lets say you burn 2000 calories a day. That means you're in a negative of 400 calories. You'd have to do this for 8 days to lose 1 pound.(3500 calories). Pretty much, today didn't do much.

Try eating lots of nuts, and any foods which have high calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    what kind of foods are you eating OP?

• pebbleslaura1
    pebbleslaura1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I struggle also to get in more calories as full all time so id like to know x
  • KourtneyLee
    KourtneyLee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Lets say you burn 2000 calories a day. That means you're in a negative of 400 calories. You'd have to do this for 8 days to lose 1 pound.(3500 calories). Pretty much, today didn't do much.

Try eating lots of nuts, and any foods which have high calories.

Exactly. One day of under-eating won't ruin you, just like one day of over-eating won't ruin you. I too have days I under-eat because my appetite simply isn't there - it's important not to let this hinder you because you can easily get back on track. I'm a little concerned that you have to eat until you are in great physical discomfort to meet your caloric and macro goals - perhaps it's time to see a nutritionist?
    Nut butters, avocado, full-fat dairy products, and cooking in olive oils are other foods I would add to his list of nutrient dense foods :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    One day means nothing. Try adding a few more calories to every meal, every snack. Hiker's mix and protein bars are portable and calorific.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You seem to be looking at it that you need to eat a massive volume of food. You don't, you just need to swap some of what you are eating for higher calorie options, add olive oil to your salad, stir peanut butter in to your breakfast and things. You can get the extra calories in, maybe list here what you eat and we can suggest higher calorie options?
  • L0VE3UG
    L0VE3UG Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    As others mentioned, one day of under eating isn't going to do much. Have you always had trouble with your appetite or meeting your caloric needs or just for the past 6 months? If you feel like you have to gorge on food just to maintain your weight there could be an underlying issue. What types of food are you eating? Nutrient dense food will help meet calorie goals without having to stuff yourself.

Not sure if you are exercising but it does help to stimulate the appetite. Eating more frequently throughout the day helps too, even if the portions are smaller.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. I eat 3000 calories a day minimum and yesterday only ate about 2000. Just circumstances and not feeling hungry. I'm back on track today. In the grand scheme of things it does not matter. What is worrying is how hard you are having to push yourself to reach what is quite a small calorie goal. If you are feeling stuffed but struggling to hit your calories, eat dense, calorific food like peanut butter (a few tablespoons are really high calories) and is not filling to hit your target.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble stimulating your appetite try exercise (as the other poster said), or watching food challenges or cooking channels on Youtube. After an episode of Man V Food I'm starving.