confused about Protein powders??

Options
any suggestions to a good protein powder to use? I've heard some are better then others; less fillers, and things that you don't need.

cheers

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Whey isolate for higher protein, faster absorption. Whey concentrate for slightly slower absorption and abit less protein, but more closer to the original form and less processed also more bio available with higher health benefits. Miscellar casein, slightly lower protein amount, with much slower absorption rate, more for extended periods without protein(fasting during sleep). Avoid proteins with added glutamine, creatine, taurine, and BCAAs. Also known as protein spiking, if your paying for protein that's all you should be getting. I used protein worlds concentrate, but there's ON, MTS nutrition, ISO sensation, and countless others. Look it up and pick something for your own person needs and goals.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I'm new to it, but from what I can tell there are also sweetened types with thickeners that can be stand alone shakes with water and milk, and unsweetened types (that can also be flavored), to mix into other things.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    There are several different types of protein powders. There are 2 main categories; animal product and plant based.
    The animal product proteins tend to have a higher proportion of protein per serving compared to plant based.

Animal based protein powders;
    • Whey; comes from milk
        • Concentrate; contains a smaller amount of protein per serving and is absorbed slower than isolate. It contains more fat and carbs too due to being less processed.
        • Isolate; contains more protein per serving and is absorbed faster than whey concentrates. Usually contains less fat and carbohydrates so there is a potential for more sweetners etc.
      • Casein; comes from milk but is a far slower digesting protein in comparison to whey
      • Egg protein
      • Beef protein

Plant based protein powders ;
      • Soy
      • Pea
      • Hemp

Some proteins do contain more sweetners compared to others, this can either make it taste alright, or make it taste horrible. It's a hit and miss thing. I'd recommend buying 1 serving samples if possible, just to see what you like.

The most popular type of protein is definitely whey protein, whether you get concentrate or isolate is up to you. Plant based proteins are good for those who can't tolerate lactose and those who are vegan.

I'd recommend buying a protein powder which is from a reputable company;

Dymatize. Optimum Nutrition. MyProtein. Isoflex. Isopure. BSN. Cellucor. MuscleTech. GNC. BPI Sports. MusclePharm. MHP. Animal. Jym. ]

I've heard that MTS by Mark Lobliner is pretty damn good... I'd like to try it.
    • sixxpoint
      sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
      Options
      Try to get all your protein from whole foods first. It isn't that difficult.

For convenience, you can look into a quality protein blend (whey & casein).

Isolates are really only for people that are lactose intolerant.

That's really all you need to know.
    • morning_joy
      morning_joy Posts: 1,063 Member
      Options
      I really enjoy my vegan protein powder which is made from plant based protein. It has way less fillers and sugar and my body tolerates much better than whey protein powder I have used. I agree with getting as much whole food protein as possible but for me, the convenience of that morning shake matters when I am working out at 5 am
    • sixxpoint
      Options
      ^ Correction

Animal based protein powders can be sugar free and devoid of fillers, too.
    • Rini_s
      Rini_s Posts: 68 Member
      Options
      I really enjoy my vegan protein powder which is made from plant based protein. It has way less fillers and sugar and my body tolerates much better than whey protein powder I have used. I agree with getting as much whole food protein as possible but for me, the convenience of that morning shake matters when I am working out at 5 am

What brand of vegan protein powder do you typically use? I've tried Plant Fusion, but I really don't like the taste. It's very chalky.
    • sixxpoint
      edited September 2015
      Options
      Rini_s wrote: »

What brand of vegan protein powder do you typically use? I've tried Plant Fusion, but I really don't like the taste. It's very chalky.

Check out SAN raw fusion if you are going the Vegan route. It's raved about by the Vegan crowd on bodybuilding.com
    • Rini_s
      Rini_s Posts: 68 Member
      Options
      sixxpoint wrote: »
      Rini_s wrote: »

Check out SAN raw fusion if you are going the Vegan route. It's raved about by the Vegan crowd on bodybuilding.com

Thanks! I'll look for it.