Wish I had a trainer.

Looking for direction. Structure. How much? How often? Are any of you trainers?
I've decided to do this!
I found a way to fit in an hour a day. But what do I do? Actually about 45 minutes. I've logged on almost 60 days now but I know I should be doing more exercising. I usually do about 20 minutes treadmill 20 minutes hiit or some other circuit or strength workout. I prefer to do this at home. My equipment includes a treadmill, stability ball. Weight bench 5 and 1 lb dumbell. But I want to learn what's ideal way to get me to my goal, utilizing the best of my time.
I guess I need a push? And eduacation.
I'm trying to find a program and or trusted educational websites or books on no gym workouts and nutrition (Or a free on demand trainer lol)
Any links or advice is appreciated.

Replies

• rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Break down your fitness into 2 different programs: a cardio program, and a progressive strength program.

I would suggest 3 days a week for strength, with an off day between strength workouts. Do your cardio on strength off days, probably 3 days a week. Give yourself one full rest day a week for recovery.

Your treadmill is great for cardio. You could also walk, bike, run, do DVDs ... just get your heart rate up for 20-60 minutes, and your heart will love you. It'll also burn a decent number of calories.

The key to strength training is progression. That means the work needs to get harder and harder. For weights, that means adding weight frequently. Beginners can typically add 5 pounds to a compound lift every workout for several weeks. So your 1 and 5 pound dumbbells aren't useful for a legitimate strength program. Unless you're willing to buy a barbell and squat rack, or an adjustable heavy dumbbell set, your best bet is to do a body weight progressive strength program.

The body weight strength programs I know are books: Body By You, Convict Conditioning, and You Are Your Own Gym. The progressions for body weight programs can be a little complicated, so having the book handy is very useful. I understand YAYOG has a phone app, and people seem to like it, but I've never used it. Pay attention to the progressions!

If you get more free weight equipment, there are much simpler strength programs you can follow. Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, all pro beginner, New Rules of Lifting, and Strong Curves are all good.

That's a broad outline for beginner fitness. You will have to tweak things as you get stronger and in better shape, but that's several months down the line.

Hope that helps!
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Bodybuilding.com has tons of routines and reading material
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    I found a way to fit in an hour a day. But what do I do?

It depends on your goal, which you didn't state.
  • pandapotlovebug
    pandapotlovebug Posts: 59 Member
    Thanks all!
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I found a way to fit in an hour a day. But what do I do?

It depends on your goal, which you didn't state.

My goal is to be healthy and fit/tone. I'm 36 year old female that's just out of shape. 5'9, 155 lb. My first goal is 140 lbs. That's where I was before I had kids 15 years ago. I've lost over 10 since I logged on 55 days ago! Is it okay that I'm not comfortable using the weight bench without a spotter yet. Looking to build strength with no gym workouts in the meantime. ..