Exercise plan/ideas to maintain weight and "tone" up

Options
spfldpam
spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
I am finished loosing weight and have been working on maintaining my weight the last couple months. I had been doing alot of cardio with strength training but was only doing about 20 min of cardio and focusing on strength training with the machines and some free weights at my current gym.
I am going to switch to a different gym the end of this month that has alot of classes plus a pool that offers aqua classes too along with all the gym equipment there all the time.
Any thoughts on what to do to not loose weight but just to maintain and "tone" up. I do have excess skin due to loosing 145 pounds and I know working out will only help so much! I do see muscle definition now from working out more with weights since Jan of this year though and would continue that while saving up $ for plastic surgery for the excess loose skin.
The new gym has a couple preimum classes called TeamGravity on EFI Sports Medicine GTS machines and Dynamic TRX Intensity Classes too that cost extra. After I join I get to try these two premium classes out for 30 days and will get a 1-2 appointments with personal training too that can help me with my goals and what to do but wanted to ask on here too!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Definitely continue with resistance training. IMHO, resistance training is the number one thing you can do to help maintain weight...this is largely because, while you burn calories doing the exercise, you also burn calories in the 48 hours or so afterwards while your muscles repair. Also, excess calorie intake is going to go towards building muscle unless you really over do it, then you will put on some fat as well...but really, I've found lifting to be key in maintaining my weight and have been shocked at the sheer number of calories I can consume when I lift and not gain a pound. Just make sure you're actually challenging yourself and your body is having a training response.

Other than that, get in some cardio for heart health and overall cardiovascular fitness and you're golden. I personally like training for an actual event...I find that it's the only thing that really motivates me to do much outside of the weight room...I have to have something to train for or my cardio will consist primarily of a lot of walks in the park.