I can't work out for a month! HELP!

Options
I'm having surgery in 3 days. The doctor told me I won't be able to workout for a month. I work out and then eat back the calories. That's how I maintain my diet. I am afraid I'll gain a lot of weight during the month I can't work out. Any suggestions? Also, I'm having surgery at my tailbone. I can't sweat at all either or it could get infected. Thanks in advance! :smile:

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Maintain a caloric deficit or eat at maintenance. You don't need to exercise to do either of those.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Maintain a caloric deficit or eat at maintenance. You don't need to exercise to do either of those.

this.

hope your procedure goes well and you heal quickly!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is 80% diet, the rest is exercise..so eat at maintenance and you'll be fine.

Good luck :smile:
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance or just below. I don't know how major your surgery is, but I had major abdominal surgery 2 years ago and my doctor told me to be sure to eat lots of protein and well balanced meals to promote healing.

*disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, don't know what your limitations will be so I'm throwing things out so you feel like you're doing something to maintain your fitness*

Once you're able, maybe you could look into incorporating small rep non-strenuous exercises throughout your day. Say, aim for 100 calf raises but do them in blocks of 10-20 so that you're not getting sweaty. Depending on the weather, go for longer walks. Work on stretching and flexibility. Come up with a list of exercises and ask your doctor if they're ok and when it's ok to start doing them and talk to him about it either pre-op or at your post-op appointment.

Good luck and speedy recovery!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I'll be in a similar situation in Mid-August. I'm not looking forward to it.

The hard truth is that it's mostly about diet anyway. I can only suggest you find some positive way to occupy the time you currently spend exercising. No need to invite boredom in to the problem.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This.

Can you do nothing at all? Not even leisurely walking? I had surgery in October and was able to start walking a bit after a week. Also, I had zero appetite for days after and the pain meds made everything taste funky, so I didn't eat a lot, anyway.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Honestly, this is not the time to concern yourself with losing weight. This is the time for healing. Dont indulge yourself with garbage food, but don't restrict your calories too much. Your body will burn calories healing. I agree w/the poster who said eat plenty of protein. Your body will need it.

I had 4 surgeries last year. Yes it sets you back temporarily , but it's worse to set your health back.

Good luck with everything. I cannot imagine sitting will be comfortable for a long time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Damn you're smart....
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You may just find that you're less hungry than you normally would be when you're not working out. Or, maybe that's just me. Hard workouts make me so hungry the next day.
  • Amyp7777
    Amyp7777 Posts: 79
    Options
    I would not stress out too much about losing weight during this time. Try to focus on maintaining. Personally, when I don't work out, I'm not as hungry...I hope this happens to you, too. Good luck with your surgery!
  • dkgoetz
    dkgoetz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Continue to log the calories and don't stress yourself out over losing/gaining until you're better. I don't know what kind of surgery you're having, but is it possible to go on walks? Even a leisurely stroll would be something (as long as you're allowed).

Good luck with your surgery!
  • blueday617
    blueday617 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice!